Seeking Oil Suggestion for Nissan Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

First time poster here and I've just recently found the forum! I purchased a used 1999 Nissan Maxima SE (Red!) some time ago with over 100,000 miles on it. The previous owner claimed to have always used Amsoil for oil changes. I've personally done one oil change with Mobil 1, and another with Amsoil.

I'm now at 116,700 and ready for an upcoming oil change. My driving habits are unfortunately hard and fast - living and working in the DC Metro Area can be tough on a car! I mainly drive on the highway to work and back, about 45 miles per day. There is some stop and go before I get onto the highway. After entering the highway, the morning is usually clear, around 50-75 mph for the duration of the trip, maybe 15 miles or so.

Evening, more traffic and stop and go after a short burst of freedom at 60-75. If I leave work at 3:50, I'll generally be home before 4:30, so not too bad.

I tend to be more of an aggressive driver, so even in traffic, I may make moves to get ahead of slowpokes.

My car has had the alternator replaced once, but is in overall good condition regarding things under the hood. I'm not sure about any previous maintenance done on the car.

I'm wondering if I should continue with Amsoil, and if so, which type/viscosity? If not, which oil would be more beneficial for my engine, and what viscosity should I be choosing for my car?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read and reply! :)

If money is not an issue stick with the Amsoil or you could even try Redline products. 5W-30 weight is good enough for the car especially in the DC area with lots of stop and go. If I were you I would change the oil at 5k miles and have a UOA to see how the the oil is up to the task.

My sister's Infinity (2004 v6) had many seal issues @ 125000 miles. Possibly avoided with a good HM 5w-30. Also her owners
manual states to NOT use synthetic oil?

Thanks for the recommendations and info all. Out of curiosity, tig1 mentioned PP as an option...

I need acronym education on this one. What's PP? :)

Originally Posted By: pushrod
Also her owners

I highly doubt it says that. All of my Nissan's OM's have stated that dino is recommended. I'm sure that's because manufacturers are required(EPA) to "recommend" the oil that the engine is certified with.

I've never seen anything in nearly twenty years of driving Nissans that discouraged synthetic.

Last edited:
My sister's Infinity (2004 v6) had many seal issues @ 125000 miles. Possibly avoided with a good HM 5w-30. Also her owners

This caught my eye as I drive three Nissans, two with minor front and rear seal leaks that I am treating with MaxLife. My 2002 Altima (150K) I ran from brand new with M1 synthetic and I bought a 2000 Altima (133K when purchased) with a rear seal leak already going. Sounds like its almost engineered with Nissans that their seals leak. I am considering with my new Xterra just running HM oil when it get over 100,000 miles and approaches that "engineered" (100K-125Kish) time when the seals are suppose to leak! :D

Originally Posted By: KC_admin

This caught my eye as I drive three Nissans, two with minor front and rear seal leaks that I am treating with MaxLife. My 2002 Altima (150K) I ran from brand new with M1 synthetic and I bought a 2000 Altima (133K when purchased) with a rear seal leak already going. Sounds like its almost engineered with Nissans that their seals leak. I am considering with my new Xterra just running HM oil when it get over 100,000 miles and approaches that "engineered" (100K-125Kish) time when the seals are suppose to leak! :D

I had a '98 Altima rental car that leaked from the valve cover gasket. Aside from that, it never leaked. Even with unknown oil change records. Something tells me the previous owner didn't replace any gaskets, she didn't even know when the oil was changed last.
lol.gif

Thanks again all! I noticed a few mentions here and there about some additives like MMO. Would any of you recommend something like this for my car in the fuel or the oil?

One more question before I'm done! Any recommendations on a filter as well? Sorry guys, but thanks. :)

Originally Posted By: xiton
One more question before I'm done! Any recommendations on a filter as well? Sorry guys, but thanks. :)

WIX or NAPA GOLD (same filter) are always good oil filters.

M1, Pure One, Bosch for oil filters. MMO is what I use according to the directions. 4 OZ for every 10 gal. in the fuel. I would not use it in the oil unless the engine is very dirty.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Is yours the rare coke can color red?
That is sweet. I love 4th gen Maxys.

Yessir! I just wish my paint were in better shape. Seems like the clear coat is bubbling up in a few spots.
frown.gif

I'm not a Maxima expert at all. Which engine do you have? I had an 04 G35 for a couple years (VQ35DE), and by butt dyno, and more importantly, UOA results, I'd strongly recommend what we here call "GC". That stands for "German Castrol", the 0w-30 variant of Syntec (ONLY that grade, and you have to check the back for "Made in Germany"). By any discernable measure, objective or subjective, my VQ just thrived on the stuff.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
I'm not a Maxima expert at all. Which engine do you have? I had an 04 G35 for a couple years (VQ35DE), and by butt dyno, and more importantly, UOA results, I'd strongly recommend what we here call "GC". That stands for "German Castrol", the 0w-30 variant of Syntec (ONLY that grade, and you have to check the back for "Made in Germany"). By any discernable measure, objective or subjective, my VQ just thrived on the stuff.

Thanks for the reply! I believe it is the VQ30DE. Would that oil have the same results in this engine?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Thanks for the reply! I believe it is the VQ30DE. Would that oil have the same results in this engine?

Thanks again!

I would expect similar results, but at the end of the day, there are simply too many uncontrolled and unknown variables in play to give you a definitive answer. That said, based upon my experience, I would strongly recommend trying GC for a couple of runs. It's usually easily found at either AutoZone or Pep Boys stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back