Honda Shadow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, my coworker asked me if I wanted to purchase his bike. He said it was a 650 but I looked all over the net and only see 600 shadows (583cc). Its a 1998 model with 30,000 miles and he said new tires and three helmets. He wants $650 so he can get a laptop.

Anyway, assuming it is a vt600 does anyone own this bike and know of anything I should pay attention to when checking it out.

All I've ever had was YZF600Rs and dirt bikes. This one has a 4sp trans. All I can think of is to check the chain, oil level, and hammer on it in 2nd (while warm of course) to see if it pops out.

He said its been sitting for a year and needs a battery, but hopefully it will hold enough of a charge to get me around the block for 10 minutes, then truck it home and start the maintenance and servicing.

If you can get in running go for it.
At the mileage the chain maybe going, but the carbs are likely the biggest item to look after.
If it runs, run some strong cleaner through them.
This is not a very good highway machine, as it's working hard at 65 mph.
Good for around town and back roads though.

Hopefully one year of sitting isn't three. I'm myself looking for a starter bike in the sub $1500 range and the ones too good to be true are the ones that have been sitting. Bike carbs do not like to sit is what I'm hearing and reading over and over.

I don't see how sitting would hurt, IF its in a shed shieded from rain (chain), the gas was drained (carb) but rarely ever is. Just need a good carb cleaning and back to new is what my experience has been. The bike usually runs fine but sputters at 3/4-WOT especially at higher rpms. And if its been on concrete (tires).

Insurance was quoted to be $75 a year and what I really want is to learn maintenance better. I've done all I could do to my dirtbike, but it will be more difficult on this bike since its bigger and doesnt have a center stand, not that the dirtbike did but it could easily be set on a stool.

Still, what more harm does sitting do than being run regularly?

He said it'd do 80, but I thought itd make a hundred. I mean, it has 40hp or so just like a Ninja 500 but then again it doesnt have the aero. I'm surprised its liquid cooled though. Honda doesnt state which coolant to use, can I put some Dexcool I have in it? They just say ethylene glycol at 50/50 w/soft water.

Last edited:
I can't help you on what you need to do for maintenance but a motorcycle jack is something I would recommend getting.

I would advise against dex-cool.
Plain old blue/green stuff is fine if it's silicate free.
Honda auto dealers carry Honda coolant that's cheaper than the cycle dealer.
But Check the back label of several brands at Wal-mart.
Owner's service manuals are all over e-bay.
Varnish and deposits build up in carbs when sitting over long time frames. If it runs at all, a strong dose of carb cleaner helps.

I had one of these for my wife. 4 speed, very easy cruising at 80 mph. Tall gears. Use the coolant for aluminum engines. I used Prestone silicat phos free green stuff. 2-3/8 qrts of 10w-40, and a 7317 filter and you are set. Good price at $650. The styles haven't chnged for 15 yrs. Mine was a 2003 and looked just like the 98's.

Good price. Even after sitting for a year, you MAY be OK with the carbs. Drain the fuel in the tank, refill with fresh with an added dose of Regain, SI-1, or Shell V-Power FI cleaner. Most likely if there is a problem, it will be at idle to 1/4 throttle because the pilot jets will be clogged. Those jets, in my experience, will not clean up. Brass is cheap, the labor to get to them is not. Prestone Low-Tox is good for the coolant. Rotella 5w40, a new filter, and go for a ride.

Quote:
with an added dose of Regain, SI-1, or Shell V-Power FI cleaner

Or Seafoam!! That stuff will cure anything!!
thumbsup2.gif

New tires (and tubes?), clean out the carbs, check the air filter, clean and adjust the chain & cables, change the brake fluid, oil & filter...

Should be good to go for another 30K. For $650+ ?$.

Opps! Check out the steering head and the wheel bearings, fork seals when they leak, too.

Cheers!

Went to check it out today. Got there and aired up the tires.....water came out of the valve. The chain was rusted but still reasonable. Noticed major leakage on the left fork seal, although it looked easy enough to change.

Got the new battery in, which was quite the pain, a big crowd of electronics crammed under the seat. Got it ready to go and it just cranked a few 5 seconds bursts at a time, then it wouldn't even do anything anymore (no click, nothing). Push started it, got it going and I could not believe the power it had, but then again all I've ridden in 600cc I-4s. Would not hold an idle on fresh gas, but that was expected. Inside the tank was rusted.

Had to really, really slip the clutch to get it going. Maybe 1st gear was too tall.

Needless to say I let it go. Rust on the wheels and it turned out to be a 97. First ride on a Vtwin, it almost felt like it was going to carry the front tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back