Benzene?

Status
Not open for further replies.
why would you want that? Regardless of any apparent benefit, it is a known carcinogen.

The above two posts do not answer your question.

This one will not either.

1. However, when I was a kid, in grade school (mind you, I'm old, and that was at least 55-60 years ago) I remember we used Benzene as a cleaning solvent. Cleaned stains of the school floor. Remember it like it was yesterday.

2. I assume you are asking about the American English stuff called Benzene. Reason I ask is because in Italian, "Benzina" is what we call Gasoline. (Yes, gasoline is also a known carcinogen).

Go to your local True Value. You can probably go to the chemical section and buy a whole can of it.

I need benzene as I'm making a home brew cheater racing fuel from an old recipe liberated from one of the major oil companies. Toluene may be a substitute.

Long time ago I rented an old house and we found in the basement an ancient 2 gallon glass carboy of Benzene from Standard Oil. Cork top and everything. Man that stuff could clean concrete and cylinder heads like nothing else!

In 1903, Ludwig Roselius popularized the use of benzene to decaffeinate coffee. This discovery led to the production of Sanka (the letters "ka" in the brand name stand for kaffein). This process was later discontinued. Benzene was historically found as a significant component in many consumer products such as Liquid Wrench, several paint strippers, rubber cements, spot removers and other hydrocarbon-containing products. Some ceased manufacture of their benzene-containing formulations in about 1950, while others continued to use benzene as a component or significant contaminant until the late 1970s when leukemia deaths were found associated with Goodyear's Pliofilm production operations in Ohio. Until the late 1970s, many hardware stores, paint stores, and other retail outlets sold benzene in small cans, such as quart size, for general-purpose use. Many students were exposed to benzene in school and university courses while performing laboratory experiments with little or no ventilation in many cases. This very dangerous practice has been almost totally eliminated.

As a gasoline (petrol) additive, benzene increases the octane rating and reduces knocking. Consequently, gasoline often contained several percent benzene before the 1950s, when tetraethyl lead replaced it as the most widely-used antiknock additive. With the global phaseout of leaded gasoline, benzene has made a comeback as a gasoline additive in some nations. In the United States, concern over its negative health effects and the possibility of benzene entering the groundwater have led to stringent regulation of gasoline's benzene content, with limits typically around 1%.[17] European petrol specifications now contain the same 1% limit on benzene content. The United States Environmental Protection Agency‎ has new regulations that will lower the benzene content in gasoline to 0.62% in 2011.[18]
[edit] Current uses

Today benzene is mainly used as an intermediate to make other chemicals. Its most widely-produced derivatives include styrene, which is used to make polymers and plastics, phenol for resins and adhesives (via cumene), and cyclohexane, which is used in the manufacture of Nylon. Smaller amounts of benzene are used to make some types of rubbers, lubricants, dyes, detergents, drugs, explosives, napalm and pesticides.

In both the US and Europe, 50% of benzene is used in the production of ethylbenzene / styrene, 20% is used in the production of cumene, and about 15% of benzene is used in the production of cyclohexane (eventually to nylon).

In laboratory research, toluene is now often used as a substitute for benzene. The solvent-properties of the two are similar but toluene is less toxic and has a wider liquid range.

Benzene has been used as a basic research tool in a variety of experiments including analysis of a two-dimensional gas.

you can buy it from chemistry suppliers...such as sigma or fisher sci. They wont just sell it to anyone, though, you have to have credentials...such as for a lab business. You usually have to set up an account with them before they will sell you it.

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
Does anybody know a product you can buy over the counter that has a high % of benzene?

Carbonated soda that has citric acid and potassium benzoate (all of them) when warmed in there containers produce benzene in high concentrations. Don't let the soda distributor leave it in the sun, it's killing us all... Google it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tone
Carbonated soda that has citric acid and potassium benzoate (all of them) when warmed in there containers produce benzene in high concentrations. Don't let the soda distributor leave it in the sun, it's killing us all... Google it.

I wonder if my car would run better on Pepsi, Coke, or RC?
06.gif

Originally Posted By: BBDartCA
I need benzene as I'm making a home brew cheater racing fuel from an old recipe liberated from one of the major oil companies. Toluene may be a substitute.

I think I had that recipe at one time, but Benzene was close to impossible to get in small amounts. And by small amounts I mean 55 gallon drums. If you want Benzene, you will need to order several train tankers full.

I think the recipe included Alcohol, and a cup of Acetone to make starting the vehicle easier. There may have been 2 other ingredients.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Torino, where did you glean that "fact".

From Carol Browner (ex-head of the EPA). Of course, the Earth is flat and the sky is falling. Yikes!!

She said that water is carcinogenic ?

seriously ?

or that contaminated water is carcinogenic ?

Like contaminated with chlorine, benzene and stuff that makes it carcinogenic ?

Would you drink benzene ?

Originally Posted By: Torino
Of course, the Earth is flat and the sky is falling. Yikes!!

There's bound to be some relevance in that quote, but it escapes me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back