MTX-75 Fluid Recomendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say yes. I just installed the Amsoil in our Escape last week. It meets all the Ford specs. GL-4 75W90, can't go wrong..

Is the MTX 75 a 75w-90 lubricant, or just one rated 75W? There is a difference. VW and saab both have lubes that would likely be suitable for a 75w spec. Lots out there for a 75w-90.

If youre just looking for the 75w fluid, you may want to blend in some of the lighter amsoil MT lube, which Ive used and found to be great stuff.

The rather new Ford fluid is supposed to be very good, but it is really high priced.
I use Amsoil right now, and it is great on paper and in real life.
Redline would also be an excellent choice.

I have the new Ford fluid in there right now just looking for something cheaper and better if it's there. Mechtech2 how's the Amsoil fluid in the cold?

There are other options for fluid, but the overall consensus on various forums dedicated to cars using that trans, is the Ford fluid is the best option going.

Terry Haines is the best known MTX-75 builder around and is the authority on that transmission. He swears up and down that the XT-M5-QS fluid is the ideal option for that transmission.

I assume this is for the contour? Have you ever done a fluid change? IIRC, the XT-M5-QS was not factory fill in 98. So unless you poured it in at a later time, I would suggest you give it a shot. It does wonders for that transmission.

Here is the list of things Terry Haines recommends for that transmission:
"DO NOT USE ATF OR EP type oils in ANY MTX-75*
*Friction mod is not needed....unless 'you' have an issue with the lube...Stay away from it if you can*

*MY Choice of lubes in decending order:-

1. Motorcraft 'Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid # XT-M5-QS ('honey')

2. Royal Purple 'Syncromax'

3. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Motor Oil

4. (General) A Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine oil...which includes:-

Mobil Delvac 1, 5w40 (full synthetic, a reformulated version of Mobil 1 which is intended for diesel engines)
Chevron Delo 400, 5w40 (full synthetic version)
Shell Rotella T (full synthetic version, not to be confused with Rotella SB synthetic blend or regular Rotella T non-synthetic)"

If your wondering why he recommends diesel oil, its because the Ford fluid has more in common with such than any gear oil. The Ford fluid is very much like a diesel oil, and VOA's have shown such.

Last edited:
Can't speak for Terry, but I do know that in later recommendations he sticks to the Ford fluid, and only mentions synthetic diesel oil if you have no other options.

Amsoil themselves recommend their 5w-40 for that application.

That quote is several years old...perhaps formulations have changed? I do know the Ford stuff hasn't changed, and its still an ideal fluid for the MTX-75. I have heard good and bad stories with just about everything else, Redline, RP, Amsoil, etc. In fact, the only other fluid that I heard solid positive feedback on was Specialty Formulations MTL-P, but good luck finding that.

Either way, what works best is what works best for you. So use what you have, and if its satisfactory...keep it. Word of advice however...depending on how old your current fluid is, anything fresh may be an upgrade. Ford lists the factory fill as lifetime on the trans, but I have noticed that after about 60k the shift quality is a bit off. I have 30k on my latest fill, and things are still great.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: pzev
3. AMSOIL Synthetic 5W-40 European Motor Oil

4. (General) A Full Synthetic 5W-40 Diesel Engine oil...which includes:

I read on 3si.org where people were curing finnicky 3000GT and Stealth manual trannies with Mobil 1 15W50. Wonder how that stuff fares compared to a dedicated 75W90 GL4 manual tranny fluid as to lasting shift quality and tranny protection?

Last edited:
I could care less if you're the greatest tranny builder in the world. Recommending a 7cst or 14cst fluid is just nuts. Either you use thick or thin. Even Ford couldn't make up their mind. Makes you wonder!

I would have no problem using the Amsoil fluid.

There is no fix or cure for a lame duck transmission. There is only luck! How many different fluid recommendations has Ford made over the years? what were they thinking?

GL4 75w90:
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...ion%20Fluid.pdf

Weren't these transmission originally filled with Mercon ATF?

40 weight diesel motor oils are in the same viscosity range of the 75w90. With the movement in diesel motor oil to protect emissions equipment..... I wonder if it is even a good choice anymore. Might need to look at 40 weight motorcycle or equivalent power sport oil.

Originally Posted By: Jimbo3277
I have the new Ford fluid in there right now just looking for something cheaper and better if it's there. Mechtech2 how's the Amsoil fluid in the cold?

Really good. I am using a light version - their synchromesh MTF.
It actually seems better in winter!
This is why I may mix, or go up to 100% MTG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back