Whipping myself into shape in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 was not a good year for me physically. I didn't ride my bike nearly enough. I ate too much junk food. I drank too much booze. I managed to gain 25 lbs!!! Holy Cow! Had I not made a few "smarter" decisions with my food choices, that 25 lbs would have easily been 40-50.

I have made a commitment to myself that I will drop these 25 "junk" lbs. this year. I WILL ride my bike more. I WILL cut out the booze completely. I WILL stop eating junk food. I WILL go on the group rides where I am the slow poke who think he's going to puke a lung. In short, I WILL get back into the form that I know I am capable of, and have been in before. I'm signing up for a MTB race in early June, so I will have a target to shoot for. It won't be easy, but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Wish me the best!

best of luck i am trying to do the same. Back in 03 I was 270lbs, and by 04 I was 195/200 lbs.(i had a blimpie diet, lots of activities) and my weight stabilized at 205/210 and stayed that way till 08(late) 09/early). Now I am 232 lbs because I've been eating nothing but [censored] because of the gf/(now)wife. Eating out, eating late, no time for anything really. But now I'm set on at least eating right until the spring where I can then at least go and play bball etc. The weight just shed off doing light activities and eating right.

All you gotta do is stay away from refined food. You can pretty much eat all the fruits and veggies you want, no counting calories. Canned fruits and veggies are good as long as they are in their own juice, not "syrup". Lean, properly prepared (grilled or baked) meat and fish is good for weight loss. Drop the dairy,milk,cheese,sour cream, even yogurt etc. and the breads, cookies, cakes, any candy. If it doesn't come from the ground or an animal, don't eat it. The weight will drop off quicker than you'll ever believe. I lost 55 lbs in about 5-6 weeks. People thought I was sick. I was 230 lbs in 2001, I am now about 143 lbs. I eat about 2400 calories a day, but no fat...I dropped meat also. For weight purposes though, meat won't hurt you much. I did lose another 25lbs after cutting it out though. Good Luck!

I have done the same thing over the past 2-3 years very slowly. I was a whopping 225lbs and went to 185. I quit drinking in 2007 and started working out at the local gym. Went from a 36" waist back to my 32-34" waist. Now 2.25 years later I still have my 32-33" waist but my jacket size is a 44 from lifting.

So this Jan 1 I have quit smoking cigars...so far I am with the program. I still want to drop another 10 lbs of body mass if possible by Summer. But I have twice the stamina I had 3 years ago. I can ride an eliptical machine for 120 minutes on level 12-14 and step off and feel good.

Makes me think about wnat Tony Robbins says: "Nothing tastes as good as being slim and fit feels"

Oh BTW....I am 56 years old.

Good luck...stick with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
2009 was not a good year for me physically. I didn't ride my bike nearly enough.

Same here. A couple of years back, I got into the 49cc scooters pretty heavily. My bicycle(s) hung in the shed most of the year in '09 and were rode very little in '08.

I admit it, I got lazy.

Time to park the scooters and get back on the bicycles.

Last edited:
I wish you the best!
I dropped forty pounds in the last year, and I now weigh what I weighed fifteen years ago.
All it takes is eating maybe a little less, and a little added activity.
I will add that if you were ever really fit, it is not that hard to get it back, or at least I found it pretty easy.
An added benefit is that all of the minor leg joint and foot pains have gone away.

I did a 50 mile road ride on Saturday to begin my 2010 cycling season. My legs revolted but they'll get over it. It felt good to be back on the bike. That was the first time I had ridden in over a month, due mostly to the terrible weather (rain, cold) we've been having. I am hoping to tap into my full potential on the bike this year.

I'm in the same boat. I've been running a mile on the treadmill five days a week. my job is a desk job, so it's the only activity I get.

I did another 50 mile ride on the road bike today, and the weather was sooooo nice. It felt great to take a ride without it being below freezing, or getting rained on. Looking forward to doing some mountain biking in the next week or so.

Congrats! You know what you gotta do and now you're doing it. Like so many others, I can say, been there, done that (multiple times). I too had a bad 2009 (gained 20 lbs) and I too am having a better 2010.

We'll be ruling the group rides and winning races in no time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back