5w20 OK for a hi-mile D15B7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got around to changing the oil in my 94 Civic LX today. I would sure like to meet the knob who last changed the oil on the car and beat them with a dead cat, as he (or she) put the drain plug in so tight I had to bust out my brother's 120 volt impact wrench to get it out. Likewise for the filter, there was no way that sucker was coming off without a strap wrench and a lot of swearing. BTW, the oil filter was apparently on the car so long the paint was flaking off and the can was starting to get some surface rust. With that aside, the oil I chose was Eco-Power synthetic blend 5w20 ($16.51 for a 5 liter jug at WM) and a Fram toughguard filter, which was only 1 dollar more than the standard orange Fram. My Civic has 210335 miles (
27.gif
) but doesn't use much oil and still runs good.

I think you'll be fine, you might get more oil consumption than with 30 but the D series was specd 20 weight from ~99 to it's end in 2005.

From my experience, 1990's Civics consume oil like there's no tommorow. If you keep an eye on the level, you'll be fine, but during the summer, I'd be running a 10W30 HM oil in one of these...JMO!

10W-30HM is a good choice for your next oil change during the summer. Then next winter in New Brunswick, 5W-30HM should work fine in your climate.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
From my experience, 1990's Civics consume oil like there's no tommorow. If you keep an eye on the level, you'll be fine, but during the summer, I'd be running a 10W30 HM oil in one of these...JMO!

they do not burn that much oil.....

i would never a 20 weight if the car is spec'ed for 30. 20 weight imo is only for fuel efficiency

Originally Posted By: addyguy

When I sold my 1992 Civic it had 165K on it. It use about 1/4qt. every 5K. MOST Civics that used oil were due to bad pcv valves that sucked the oil out of the valve cover. Can't tell you how many of those engines that got replaced by a "technician" who did not know any better.

I had a 1994 Civic LX that I kept until it had 240k miles.

In a 4k mile OCI it consumed at most half a quart. Never needed to be topped off.

I used mostly 5w-30 in it. Tried 5w-20 in it a couple of times. Didn't seem to hurt anything, though oil consumption increased a little bit.

Compared to Xw-30, 5w-20 makes cranking easier during frigid weather, but in warm weather, unless it only sees short trips, I'd prefer an Xw-30 oil in it at this age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back