New test Amsoil oil 5W-40 CJ-4 - Failure leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pidziek
Have you seen this test?
http://www.amsoil.com/news/2010_march_maximum_viscosity_protection.pdf
Discredit top oil ... :)))
reg.

That's been posted a bunch of times. The results are the results, Amsoil's purpose is NOT to "Discredit top oil...", if that's what you are saying. It's a comparison test, run at an independent lab, I thought people like to see this kind of thing.

The only testing I have ever taken issue with was the 4-ball wear and TFOUT. Both are flawed, but as Pablo said, they are bench tests. Take them for what they are worth.

Many people in Europe and the challenges these tests simply writes to me that they are performed by the laboratory and the results of Amsoil for the dying are not objective.
People often ask, or are there any independent testing and comparisons ...

In Europe people hard to understand why such Amsoil publish tests and comparisons which is always on top.

Does someone has information where these tests done, or someone they certify to cut speculation that often occur?

regard

I'm sure the Amsoil is good stuff, though it would be great if the company testing the stuff wasn't being paid by Amsoil. Though it's no different than what any other oil company does.

One major caveat is that Amsoil is pitting itself against a mixed batch of regular dino oils and synthetics. Why didn't they compare Rotella T6, which is synthetic? Same with the Delo. That is an unfair comparison.

The thing I found interesting was how close all the non-Amsoil products were. Really not much difference there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor

One major caveat is that Amsoil is pitting itself against a mixed batch of regular dino oils and synthetics. Why didn't they compare Rotella T6, which is synthetic? Same with the Delo. That is an unfair comparison.

T6 may not have been out in Nov 2009. Delvac 1 ESP is synthetic. People post all the time Rotella T is synthetic. But how is going head to head with the major competitors unfair? Look at it this way, if non-synthetic oils are said to come out ahead here on BITOG, it's bragged about.

The tests are the tests, is the GOAL to find something WRONG when Amsoil is involved? I'm just asking.

You know what, I read that chart wrong. They did compare all synthetics in 5W-40. I just assumed they meant the dino since it is labeled Rotella T and Delo 400 LE, but the note on the table and in the text says they are all 5W-40 synthetics. My bad. Sorry.

Originally Posted By: AuthorEditor
You know what, I read that chart wrong. They did compare all synthetics in 5W-40. I just assumed they meant the dino since it is labeled Rotella T and Delo 400 LE, but the note on the table and in the text says they are all 5W-40 synthetics. My bad. Sorry.

You weren't bad. Some folks also don't consider all those oils synthetic. They are "popular" oils to compare with, and that's more the point, IMHO.

This is one test I actually like and think is relevant. Amsoil is addressing the fuel dilution issue that is tearing up some oils. Good for them.

All the majors oil and add companies have research and testing bujets that could purchase Amsoil. Remember Amsoil doesn't make their base stocks or additives they just blend. I am not knocking any product . But then again Teague won the boat series because of Amsoil. And the Corvette racing was done with M1. Marketing does fool the masses. What really matters is how the oil holds up via UOAs = real life results.

At the very least, Amsoil is among the top quality products. I buy Amsoil because they provide a wealth of information, share their testing results, easy to email with technical questions, and I really enjoy knowing what I'm putting into my vehicles. I don't think anyone can go wrong with the right Amsoil product.

The Amsoil downside...price. Unless someone can show test results showing Amsoil performing poorly (within their prodcut specs, of course), I'll continue to respect Amsoil's products.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Amsoil makes a fine product. It is not worth worshipping though.

I agree. Only GC and PU are worth worship.

No, no, I take that back. PU has risen above worship. It's at the leghump stage.
lol.gif

There's an existing thread here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1172315

Which begins to address the validity of the ASTM D-6278 test.

Also we have:
http://www.swri.org/4ORG/D08/global/ShearStb/default.htm
http://engineers.ihs.com/document/abstract/RYYZXAAAAAAAAAAA

I don't have the spec on this computer, but I'll read the whole thing on Monday.

It's a single lab test. Again, as I say about all tests, including the 4-ball test. It's a single bench test. No more no less. Schaeffer's uses it, other GOOD oil companies use the test. It's referenced here:

http://www.astm.org/Standards/D4485.htm

As for the 2001 Orinite presentation, I'm not sure whatever became of that but ASTM D-6278 has gone through two revisions since then, and the seems to be more widely adopted since then. I see some errors in the paper as well. Just because it's from Chevron doesn't mean it's not biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back