Shell 93 octane or BP 93 octane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one should I run? This is what I know. The BP is out of Louisville. All the different brand terminals use Marathon base gas. The shell comes from Zionsville Indiana, close to Indianapolis, but I don't know what base gas they use. Here in southern Indiana we don't have any special fuel requirements nor does the Indy area, but Louisville does. I would think the Louisville gas would be built to Indiana specs but don't know if the base gas has any negative additives.

Pcoxe is correct. BP is not a Top Tier fuel. Google Top Tier and go to their web site and find out what fuels in your area are on the list and use them. Surprising how many small regional gas suppliers have joined this movement!

Is anyone policing top tier stations and their fuel quality? - I think not. The Shell near my house has the poorest running fuel in the area. The Shell 10 miles out of the way is fantastic and consistent. Whats up with that? Top Tier - Bahhh!

I would use either, but the few times that I've used BP, I've always gotten a slightly higher mpg for that tank. It's always more expensive though.

I'm fully aware of Top Tier fuel. It's kind of like Red Line oil. It's not certified anything really but I think it's one of the better oils. They don't have certifications that limit them. I thought maybe BP could be like that too, or someone would know about the base fuel used in Zionsville, IN. Since louisville requires reformulated gas, is there a chance that it affects our gas here in Indiana that comes from Louisville?

Originally Posted By: iunderpressure
I'm fully aware of Top Tier fuel. It's kind of like Red Line oil. It's not certified anything really but I think it's one of the better oils. They don't have certifications that limit them. I thought maybe BP could be like that too, or someone would know about the base fuel used in Zionsville, IN.

Actually, it's the other way around.
wink.gif

The Top Tier program is run by a consortium of auto makers. It's a certification that goes above and beyond the basic standards, just like BMW LL-01, VW 505, Honda HTO-06, etc.

If anyone is like Red Line, it's BP: promising an elevated level of performance but refusing to pay for certification.

I know for a fact BMW has dropped recommending Chevron as their official recommended fuel. They now recommend BP in the US. Even though the BMW fuel system cleaner is rebottled Chevron Techron cleaner. I am a BMW Master tech and BMW has officialy declared BP as a fuel with "superior cleaning agents and quality." So there is something about the BP with invigorate.

Originally Posted By: Jtgrant
I am a BMW Master tech and BMW has officialy declared BP as a fuel with "superior cleaning agents and quality." So there is something about the BP with invigorate.

BP owns Castrol, who supplies most of BMW's factory lubricants. Not saying that's the only reason; just saying I wouldn't write off Chevron just because BMW ditched them for BP.

Between chevron, bp, or shell, just get which ever has the best rewards card.. they are all great fuels, but there are only two BPs within a 10 mile radius of me and they are usually priced above the chevron or shell i go to.

This is what I found: http://knowyourbmw.com/

BMW highly recommends BP ultimate and other top tier fuel with an AKI (octane) rating of 91. If you do not have a BP in your area here are the other top tier fuel distributors according to Wikipedia: Chevron, QuikTrip, Kwik Trip, Conoco-Phillips, Shell, Aloha Petroleum, KwikStar, Somerset Refinery Inc., Tri-Par Oil Company, Shell Canada, Chevron Canada, Sunoco Canada and Petro Canada. The top tier fuels produced by these companies have met higher fuel quality standards than others tested.

'''''''''

The top tier site doesn't mention BP.

OTOH, my service adviser does recommend the BP.

I've used it. It's a bit cheaper than Shell, and close to where I live, but gives me less mpg.

Last edited:
I've used BP/Arco for years and found it to be an excellent/much improved gasoline comapred to when Arco made Arco gas.

I mean allot of people trash it but it works well in my truck and car. How it compares to Shell??? Well Shell gasoline is about $0.20 cents more than Arco for the same performance.

Shell has "Nitrogen" enriched and Arco has "Clean Tech".

Druango

BMW dropped Chevron primarily because it is rare to find a Chevron station. Remember that it was Chevron that started with amine cleaners.

Sometimes I'll use Cosco gasoline to supplement my car/truck and use a big bttle of Chevron "Techron" as a detergent additive.After all isn't quality gas related to the quantity of detergency in the gas itself???

Durango

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back