2003 Crown Vic LX Steering Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has been well maintained.
The problem started about 3 1/2 months ago.
The variable power assist doesn't work all the time. We took it to our Ford dealership & they said it was the power steering pump (which they replaced)..after taking it home & a few days later it started again..(the steering becomes very stiff at very low speeds but seem pretty good at highway)
They then said it was the steering rack & replaced it, as well as a part that sits on the front of the block that the serpintine belt attaches too, as they said it was noisy.

A couple of weeks later it started again.
Now they say they're 75% sure it's a sensor & they're waiting for the part.

The car has an extended warranty with a $100. deductable but this is really frustrating.

They also said if the sensor isn't the problem the only things left that it could be are the power steering pump or the steering rack they put in are defective & they would replace them again!!

They looked under the car for an hour & a half for loose wires or corroded conections but found none.

The car has 106,000 km on it & is otherwise in very good condition.

I'm really frustrated & if anyone knows something else it could be, please help.

When the steering gets hard do the brakes also get a hard pedal like the power brakes aren't working. If I remember corectly the Crown Vics have the hydroboost setup just like the stangs. If the PS pump goes out you also lose power brakes.

Originally Posted By: AdRock
When the steering gets hard do the brakes also get a hard pedal like the power brakes aren't working. If I remember corectly the Crown Vics have the hydroboost setup just like the stangs. If the PS pump goes out you also lose power brakes.

Vics have boosters, no hydroboost. its probably a bad pump, replace a lot of them at work.

AdRock..no, the power brakes work normally.

Colton, what is the "EVO" you mentioned?
And to be honest, the car is still at the dealership & will be until they get the new "sensor" in. I don't know if they cleaned any connections since they called & told me over the phone that they checked wires & connections & found no problems.
I do know they said they looked for 1 1/2 hours and they charge $72 an hour for labor.

So it appears from the link you provided that ours is not the only crown vic to have this problem.

When they first replaced the steering rack & power sterring pump, the car would steer better than when we first bought it, but this only lasted a month at best.

I wonder if the person who started that post ever found out exactly what the problem was?

Perhaps they'll see this post & let me know.

I'll speak to the mechanic about this when I see him..tomorrow is a holiday here but they should have the sensor installed & the car ready by Wednesday.
I'll let you know how it goes with the sensor.

Well, from what it looks, then only thing he found was the plug was dirty. It works by electrical resistance, so if its dirty it will have a higher resistance than it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back