High mileage dino oil or synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really going nuts thinking about the next oil change in my truck(s). Mostly, high mileage, American iron. I've used Chevron Supreme dino oil for years just because it's always been the cheapest by the case at Costco...but it's not such a great deal anymore. ($26 I think? It was $11 like 2 years ago!)

So, as I understand it the "high mileage" oils from Pennzoil and Chevron have extra stuff for old engines, like the older oil specifications, but it's still dinosaur oil. Does anybody make a synthetic "high mileage" oil? Or for that matter, would using a good synthetic like PP still be better than a high mileage dino oil?

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Syn costs at least twice as much as dino costs.

So everybody should stop using synthetic then?
54.gif

Let's try and leave cost out of this, I'm just wondering what is a better oil.

If it was me, I'd just get some oil and change it. HM oil is more of a marketing oil (love the 75001 number).

I've got Chevron oil in my Truck with 121k and its loving it. Last week it was well below zero and started up like new. Excellent oil as is most others these days.

I'm running "normal" oil in a 390,000 + mile Jetta and its just fine.

The marketing champs in oil do make a Syn HM oil.
smirk2.gif

Take care, Bill

High mileage oil is good if your leaking or consuming oil. Chevron has proven to be a great oil. I would stick with it.

+1. It's a hail mary if you have some leaking valve guide seals, or a main seal, or weeping somewhere else. Maybe switch to PP and stretch the OCI a bit, or stick with what you're happy with but buy the oil somewhere else?

Last edited:
Valvoline Maxlife HM semi syn(5W20, 5W30, 10W40) is a high quality oil for a new car or older cars with high miles. At $15 for a jug of 5 quarts it is a great deal on a really good oil. It will clean up your engine and keep it clean. Will also help PREVENT leaks and also slow leaks down if you have one. It also has higher amounts of zinc and moly which evryone knows is good for any engine. It is a no brainer considering it is cheap and a very high quality oil. Good luck...

Here are my thoughts...

I don't bother with High Mileage oils unless it's in an application that is burning or leaking oil. If it's not leaking/burning, I use conventional or synthetic.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Wow 390,000+ miles on a jetta...

Yeah, VW does NOT build them like that anymore... 1986 GL model. 5 sp manual
01.gif

Originally Posted By: defektes
Chevron has proven to be a great oil. I would stick with it.

Well, that's the thing...I'm starting to think it isn't so great anymore. Not that it's bad oil - but the EPA screwed with the old recipe!

I wonder if Chevron's high mileage oil is closer in composition to the "old" Chevron Supreme we used to buy?

I'm also starting to lean towards synthetics much more than in the past, considering how the price gap is closing. 99% of my driving is cold starts and short trips, so I think a synthetic migh be preferable...

Now, when is Chevron going to start selling synthetic oil?!

JMO when epa changes the recipe, additive blenders invent a new add pack that performs as well or better than the previous formula.

Antiwear, dispersant and detergents work in harmony to form antiwear film and blenders always invent a package that performs and meets the new spec.

I understand the need to change. Last week I changed oil with synthetic for the first time ever. The cost of oil is so low if fuel cost is considered. Go for it!

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Valvoline Maxlife HM semi syn(5W20, 5W30, 10W40) is a high quality oil for a new car or older cars with high miles. At $15 for a jug of 5 quarts it is a great deal on a really good oil. It will clean up your engine and keep it clean. Will also help PREVENT leaks and also slow leaks down if you have one. It also has higher amounts of zinc and moly which evryone knows is good for any engine. It is a no brainer considering it is cheap and a very high quality oil. Good luck...

+1

Does the HM oils really contain more ZDDP and moly? I know they are blended on the "thicker" side, and contain additives for older engine seals. If they really have a heavy dose of ZDDP and Moly that's great.

Forgot about the 10W30 Maxlife. Somewhere here you can find specs that show this oil does have a good amount of zinc but a very high amount of moly.

I have been using Pennzoil high mileage oil with great success at slowing down and in some cases stopping leaks although i only use it in the summer because i think its blended a little on the high side (too thick) for the winter... I was thinking of trying the Valvoline MaxLife what does everyone think the maxlife or the pennzoil HM

I have been using Pennzoil high mileage oil with great success at slowing down and in some cases stopping leaks although i only use it in the summer because i think its blended a little on the high side (too thick) for the winter... I was thinking of trying the Valvoline MaxLife what does everyone think the maxlife or the pennzoil HM

Both great oils and I use the MaxLife. Great deals at Walmart in the jug and it is hard to beat.

If leaks are your concern, have you tried Auto Rx? I swear by it, and no, I dont work for them. It is definitely worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back