Rotella 5w40 synthetic in 83 GL1200 Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Wing owners use Rotella; either flavor.
It should work fine.
I've used it for two years now; Mobil 1 red cap before that.
(Stash is gone now)
Try it, you'll like it.

I have a '82 wing and I've only tried rotella 15/40, delo 400, and most recently delvac all 15/40. I use those due to the low cost, and when my bike was made the manual said to use 10/40 of no specific brand. And it runs fine on all of them. 27 years and 45k miles later. The synthetic will cost a little more and I don't think you'll see any difference in performance, but I guess you could use it.,,

Rotella - either flavor.

+1

Maybe 15w40 for Summer, 5w40 for Winter. I use the 5w40 all year around with no problems. It's a 40 on the top end either way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I changed to Rotella 5w40 last week. My wing originaly called for 10w40 and the rotella meets the spec called for. My bike has 37,000 miles and was purchased new by my father. I have owned it for about 15 years and have just started riding again after about a 10 year haitis. I retired at an early age and have more time to enjoy life. A lot less money in my pocket but it feels like being a teenager again with all the free time.

I have a 1980 Honda CX 500, this year I pulled the motor out and replaced the stator so I had to replaced the rear case gasket, if you don't know the CX 500 is a transverse flying V design, water cooled motor, not like the Wing but getting there, anyway I was using Rotella T 15-40 with no problem but I recently changed to the synthetic 5-40 and I have noticed some oil weepage from between the front case gasket that is the original. Looks to me that the synthetic will creep past old hard gaskets much easier than dino oil from my observation, it may require me to pull that front case off and replace that gasket, so far no other issues, if anything the synthetic is washing out hidden pockets of sludge from clutch wear.

You'll be fine with RTS in your wing. Those old opposed 4 cyl boxers run quite well. If they could survive with the (nearly worthless) Honda oil, they will function fine with RTS.

Not that it matters much, as this is a bit off topic, but in 1983, wasn't the 'Wing a GL1100? I believe the GL1200 ran from '84 to '87, did they not?

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
You'll be fine with RTS in your wing. Those old opposed 4 cyl boxers run quite well. If they could survive with the (nearly worthless) Honda oil, they will function fine with RTS.

Not that it matters much, as this is a bit off topic, but in 1983, wasn't the 'Wing a GL1100? I believe the GL1200 ran from '84 to '87, did they not?

My mistake, you are correct. Mine is a GL 1100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back