Best for a Toyota Tacoma transmission & LSD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have searched the forums and I am unsure on what would be best for my application. I have a '01 Tacoma S-Runner with manual 5-speed and a TRD (Eaton) LSD running carbon fiber plates and 400 ft-lb springs.

1) Transmission has Toyota dealer refill. I want the best shifting possible as I also use a short shifter with resultant reduced leverage. What will give the slickest shifting possible?

2) Limited slip has approximately 5000 miles on it and is filled with Valvoline 75/90 conventional GL5 and has 1.25 tubes of Stalube additive. When at ambient I alway have noticeable chatter when turning and then nominal amounts when at operating temperatures. What's my best alternative?

I am open to synthetics and change intervals to get the best performance possible.

If that S-Runner were mine(wish it was)I would put Royal Purple in the gear box and the rear end. I have it in my Supra and put it in my Dad's 911 and we love the stuff.

Last edited:
One of the best ways to go would be with Amsoil fluids.

Their gear fluids are good because its hard to go wrong with them.

If your transmission calls for a GL4, this is an excellent fluid.

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTGQT-EA

If it calls for a GL5, you could run their Amsoil Severe Gear 75w90 for both differential and transmission.

It contains modifyers, so you should be fine with your limited slip.

Redline has a great GL4 gear oil as well.

oh....and Royal Purple seems to do well too!

.....a supra and a 911 in the family...nice stuff.

Last edited:
For the transmission, if you read on other forums, you'll find that the Toyota transmissions in the Tacomas are known for notchy shifting. I tried Amsoil in my '98. Seemed to help a little over the factory fill. I then tried Red Line MT-90 and it was a little bit better than the amsoil, but I never did get rid of the notchy shifting. If you find something better than the red line, let me know.

Yeah, the Amsoil and Redline is good stuff too, I have the Amsoil Severe Gear in the front and rear diff on my 4Runner and it's done well.

Manual: Amsoil MTG or Redline MT90
Transfercase/front/rear-ends/PSF: any full synthetic

Most gear oils have LSD additives. If you need to add extra, then the gear oil brand you choose usually have it too. The goal is to use as little as possible and keep adding to eliminate the chatter.

Hey 94supraonchrome

how long have you ran the Severe Gear for? Just curious.

I'm running the 75w110 in the Jeep. It seems like great stuff.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Plan to go with Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 for the rear and the GL4 MTG for the transmission. I will also purchase the additive just in case.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022
Hey 94supraonchrome

how long have you ran the Severe Gear for? Just curious.

I'm running the 75w110 in the Jeep. It seems like great stuff.

3-4 years and about 40,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back