DIY Detail Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

I've been looking at the "detail cleaners" at the local auto shop -- you know, the spray cleaners you can use to spiff up your car in between washes/waxes.

Naturally, the prices seem a bit high for a substance that, I imagine, is mostly water.

Here in Arizona, the sun gets rather intense, so I like to keep my car clean and well-waxed (well, NuFinished, to be precise) so as to protect it from the sun. It's also dusty, so using a detail cleaner to help keep the car clean is useful as my apartment complex prohibits bucket-washing one's car, and the local commercial car washes cost money.

Anyone have any recipies for DIY detail cleaner?

Optimum No Rinse is probably the best. I think DP and Poorboys also makes a "waterless wash".

I wouldn't use a Quick Detailer on a dirty car. On a "dusty" car, you can use Ca. Duster.

Do you want to wash your car, or quick detail it?

Different products for different processes. As was mentioned above, there are products which allow you to do a "no rinse" type of wash. Takes about 3-5 gallons of water and a soft wash mitt and drying towel. If your car is relatively clean, you can wash it in about 20 minutes.

Quick detailing is great if your car just has a little dust, fingerprints, maybe some bug residue, and you want to freshen up the car without washing. I don't know of a homemade recipe for a detail spray, but you can buy many quick detailer products by the gallon, then dilute it 50/50 and save some money that way.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I wouldn't use a Quick Detailer on a dirty car. On a "dusty" car, you can use Ca. Duster.

Understood. I take the car to the car wash when it gets dirty, of course. It's just that there's occasionally some spots that need touching up prior to waxing the car, or for removing some dust that settles and can't be removed with a dry duster.

I wash and dry my cars and then give them a quick spritz (about two sprays per panel) of Lucas Slick Mist. You spray it on and wipe it off a clean washed car and wipe it off with a micro fiber towel and it adds a nice shine and thin layer of protection.

I typically wax 3x a year with Zaino AIO and a layer of Zaino Z2 and wash my cars every other week so this adds a great shine and some extra protection between waxes.

Dumb question so go easy please. Do these quick detailers inhibit the bond of a good coat of wax when it comes time to re-wax the car?

Here's what your looking for:

http://www.poorboysworld.com/spray-wipe.htm

If theres more than a film on the car you can pressure wash it first. $2 for a quick spray down then use the above with about a dozen plush microfibers.

Poorboys also has a very good bug and tar remover called Bug Squash(?).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Dumb question so go easy please. Do these quick detailers inhibit the bond of a good coat of wax when it comes time to re-wax the car?

It depends on the wax you are using. Many have chemical or abrasive cleaners which will remove any protective layer provided by the QD spray. Even the solvents in a pure carnauba wax would remove the QD.

When using a polymer sealant like Zaino, many users wipe down the paint with Z-6 detail spray before applying the sealant, so no problems there.

It's possible there could be an incompatibility of products somewhere but for the most part, I think you are safe. Wax with confidence.

Thanks for answering my question. I was reading up on Rejex, and it seems to work best on clean wax free paint. I was wondering if a quick detailer would cause durability issues with Rejex.

I use wet paint glaze on occasion, it's a formidible part of any car enthusiasts' arsenal. I have a Miata that the wife drives when the weather is nice, so the car is never really dirty but could stand a cleaning. Wetpaintglaze is perfect for that. It's also great for touch up stuff ( puddles etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back