dodge neon engine/ miles on timining belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
It IS an inteference engine - both the 2.0 and 2.4L. I've known of a friend's car to break the TB at 120K or so. Of course, this trashes the motor. Don't think I'd push the envelope if it were me.

She has 87,000 on it right now. I told her to start thinking about doing that kind of maintainence if she plans on keeping the car for a while, but thinks she knows everthing. Sad part is it will end up costing me it it takes a dump. Anyone know how difficult it is to do it yourself?

Last edited:
Do the timing belt, change the oil in the transmission, new spark plugs and wires, and these little cars are VERY reliable.

I wouldn't think a timing belt in this thing is too expensive or hard to do.

I just did my TB over the summer on my 02. I bought all the parts at RockAuto, the Gates kit has the Litens tensioner you want. I spent under $200 for the parts. Get the TB kit with the bracket for the tensioner.

It is an Interference engine, so if the belt goes you are looking at some big repairs.

It is a pretty easy job, took me around 5hrs to complete, HERE is a link to a how to with pics.

I would get new pulleys with that belt.
Often the aftermarket has this as a kit.
It is best to get all this before it gets you!
What mileage? Sure, you could go 150,000. But who knows for sure?
At around 100K, go for it on your own time and terms.

I would think seriously about changing it and I also believe that the water pump is driven by the belt. If it is I'd replace it also then.

Just FYI the 2.4 liter DOHC is technically an interference engine because valves can contact valves but the pistons can not contact the valves.

When belts break on the 2.4s it is very rare for their to be damage because usually the valves won't contact, there are people on srtforums who have broken belts but none that I know have have had any damage.

I couldn't tell you about the 2.0 though. I will say that I've done a timing belt job on both of these and the 2.0 is very easy where as the 2.4 is way harder. The engine bracket that you have to remove goes inside the engine and is quite a bit larger on the 2.4 so it's 10 times harder to remove. To combat this you jack the engine up higher then the turbocharger hits the firewall. It's like a giant puzzle and your vocabulary will be sure to have improved when you're done.

I did mine at 47,000 but that wasn't necessary. I just felt the random urge to change a timing belt on something.

Last edited:
CHANGE THE TENSIONER PULLEY! On my old 1995 Neon, I had the bearing on the timing belt tensioner pulley freeze at 140k, bent every valve in the head. I had changed out the belt previously, but reused the tensioner and pulley.

Cost me a lot more in the long run. They are very easy to change, except you need a special tool to R&R the harmonic balancer.

These cars last a long time as long as you do the maintenance on them. This is the only major repair I had with the car. I sold it with 182k on it and the car still ran great.

Check the manual for the replacement schedule and I'd do the tensioner and the waterpump at the same time. My waterpump went on my 95 Neon and chewed the belt up, but fortunately not enough to throw the timing off to bend the valves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back