can oil filter cause knocking sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard some oil filters can cause knocking sounds. Along those lines what is the best oil filter for a ford 4.0 liter sohc engine used in the 98 Explorer.

Please, do not bring up timing chains as they have been replaced and there is still a strange tap/knock/rattle at idle when cold on start-up and softer at warm idle. Mechanics think it is a lifter. Just trying to keep after it.

Last edited:
Oil filters can cause startup noise but just for a few seconds unless the damage was done..Exactly what kind of noise do you hear and how many miles are on that 4.0 sometimes motors get a slight piston slap... when you first start the engine is the noise immediate or does it start to make noise after a minute or so? Also what weight of oil do you use?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Oil filters can cause startup noise but just for a few seconds unless the damage was done..Exactly what kind of noise do you hear and how many miles are on that 4.0 sometimes motors get a slight piston slap... when you first start the engine is the noise immediate or does it start to make noise after a minute or so? Also what weight of oil do you use?

Tapping/rattle like noise, 138,000 miles. The noise seems immediate. Oil is 5w30 non-synthetic. Thaks for asking.

How long does it take for the noise to quiet down?

Being in the engine business i have heard it all i know of a taxi running as we speak that started knocking at 250,000 miles it now has over 330,000 miles and still knocks bottom line is sometimes an engine makes noise and it will run for years
On my cars i have a cd player that when i hear a noise in the car i just turn up the volume and presto noise gone!

Its completely reasonable. Toyota 4.0 V-6's are famous for making noise if you use anything other than OEM or sometimes Mobil 1 filters. I have one and its ANNOYING to say the least! Not sure about your Ford 4.0 but its possible. The noise "usually" goes aways but in the case of the Toyota 4.0 and a couple others it remains under load.

Last edited:
Hyundai has a TSB about engine knocking from using aftermarket filters. They said the different materials/design causes pressure differences that causes knocking.

Interesting, Anyone know of the "best" oil filter for this engine 4.0 liter v6 sohc engine? BTW, the sound does not completly go away, it just seems to get a bit quieter when engine warms up. Thanks again

The rattle is probably piston slap. I would say a Motorcraft filter would be a good bet for a Ford. What kind of filter are you running now?

Last edited:
An improper or faulty oil filter can cause start up clacking.
This is because many have anti drainback valves in them.
If they don't work right, oil literally is drained from passages when you turn the car off and will need a bit of extra time to pump up and get full again.

But a problem like this may also be a lifter that is loose and is pumping out when the car sits - or maybe a lifter adjustment that is fixed by warm/hot expansion. Or maybe piston slap.

Quote:
Tapping/rattle like noise, 138,000 miles. The noise seems immediate.
Based on my son's experience with a start up rattle when not using the MC 820FL on his 4.6L Explorer, I'd say try the Motorcraft app(FL1A) for your Explorer. When my son switched back to the MC filter his rattle was gone, now he only uses MC. So yeah, the filter can make a difference.

If your already using a Motorcraft, you could experiment with some others like Pure One with a silicone adbv.
HTH

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
Tapping/rattle like noise, 138,000 miles. The noise seems immediate.
Based on my son's experience with a start up rattle when not using the MC 820FL on his 4.6L Explorer, I'd say try the Motorcraft app(FL1A) for your Explorer. When my son switched back to the MC filter his rattle was gone, now he only uses MC. So yeah, the filter can make a difference.

If your already using a Motorcraft, you could experiment with some others like Pure One with a silicone adbv.
HTH

I believe if he has a 4.0 SOHC then the proper Motorcraft oil filter is the Motorcraft FL-820S. A great filter at a great price at WalMart for DIY people.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey

I believe if he has a 4.0 SOHC then the proper Motorcraft oil filter is the Motorcraft FL-820S. A great filter at a great price at WalMart for DIY people.

Whimsey

That year? Most likely it is the 820s. The 4.0 is still a 3/4-16 thread engine, but they adapt it to the 22x1.5M thread. If it has a cooler ..and maybe even if it doesn't, it's done at the right angle mount.

Well, not according to the Motorcraft website. The recommended application is the FL1A, that's why I posted it. Now, if the FL-820S is an alternate choice I would pick it first, because it has a silicone adbv.

In any case, the OP would do well to try the MC filter the fits his Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back