Engine Drinking Synthetics....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on some very compelling UOA's on this site, I made the decision to move to HDEO Dino's this past summer. Everything was awesome, the bike ran great and I had "near zero" oil consumption.

So for my winter fill, I pour in Rotella 5w40 a month ago. This past weekend, we had a nice day, so I rode the 300 mile round trip to watch my son's playoff football game. The ride included about 200 miles of 75mph interstate highway.

When I got home, the bike was down about a 1/4 or a 1/3 of a quart.

As I remember back, I also recollect that for my Amsoil run and my M1 15w50 run...the bike drank oil like a camel.

On the other hand, as stated above, with Delac 15w40....I get nearly zero consumption. This isn't a sudden thing, as I have noticed this behavior over the 24,000 miles on the bike.

What gives?

Virtually no oil consumption on my 2006 Kawasaki 500 using Rotella 5W-40 with around 3000 mile OCIs. About 13000 miles on the bike now. However, I will say that I always seem to have to top off the oil a bit a day or two after I do an oil change--it's like the filter somehow absorbs some more oil after a few days, then I'm usually good for the rest of the 3000 miles with no top up, or maybe a few ounces.

Who knows? But it seems like your bike likes dino HDEO. Which is a bonus. Usually my machines like the more expensive of the two. So feed it what works and don't look back.

Last edited:
I have read in auto's that switching brands of oil will sometimes show some consumption, but it normally subsides after a few oci's with that brand. Not sure about motorcycles.

So either stick with the 5W40 for a few oci's and see if it goes away, or just stick with the dino. It is good down to like 15* i believe and is (ok) for the occasional cold (15*) start

bigjohn,

usually (but not always) if the motor drinks synth but not dino then either the viscosities are not simular
OR
the rings are not seated
OR
the valve seals are shot

let smoke out the pipe be a little guide.

smoke on acceleration means rings
smoke on deceleration (throttle closed, in gear) means seals
smoke on statup can mean either or both

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
......or just stick with the dino. It is good down to like 15* i believe and is (ok) for the occasional cold (15*) start

Yeah, my motorcycle won't ever be started with the temps below 25 degrees. I hate riding in extremely cold weather. I think I am fine with 15w40.

And......with Checkers recent sale on Mobil 1300 15w40 this fall, I purchased six gallons.

Originally Posted By: sunruh
bigjohn,

usually (but not always) if the motor drinks synth but not dino then either the viscosities are not simular
OR
the rings are not seated
OR
the valve seals are shot

let smoke out the pipe be a little guide.

smoke on acceleration means rings
smoke on deceleration (throttle closed, in gear) means seals
smoke on statup can mean either or both

Sunruh, I will not make the 100% stand that my engine doesn't have trouble, but I will say that it does not smoke and it is running in top shape. It is a 2007 Suzuki, 650cc V-Twin....a VStrom. It is one of the most bullet-proof engines Suzuki has ever built. Same engine as the SV and the Gladius. I have right at 24,000 miles on the bike.

I was in my local Suzuki shop this weekend and stepped in the back to speak with their lead Mechanic. I told the guy my story. He asked if I noticed the oil consumption, only when making long, high speed interstate runs. I said, yes. He said that they had noticed over the years, that some of the high performance engines that allow a red line above 10k rpms....that those engines would use some oil with long, high rpms runs....especially with synthetics. He said it is called "blow by"....and synthetics are more prone to do it.

When I have noticed substantial oil consumption with M1 15w40, Amsoil 10w40 and M1 R4T 10w40.....it was always with a 100+ mile run on the interstate, where my RPM stayed around 6,500-7,000 for an hour or two.....or three.

Anyway, per my noted purchase above....I will be doing HDEO 15w40 for a while with 6 gallons to use up.

But, thanks for your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back