Rislone vs MMO opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a long-time Rislone user...never had to use it to "fix" anything but I used about once a year in place of a QT of oil at the time of an oil change as a preventative maintenance thing to keep my engine clean...the only motor I ever had to open up was 150k and looked spotless but it had GTX every 3k also :)

Anwyway, I have always been intrigued by MMO and figured it much safer to use in the crank case than SeaFoam or B12 but versus Rislone, I still feel safer that Rislone might be the best choice for "gentle" cleaning of a motor verses MMO?

I know many have used MMO for years so it should be enough proof that it is a great additive, but none the less, if I knew nothing of these two additives, which one would you say is best for "preventative maintenance" to be run once per year or so in the crank case to keep the varnish/sludge monster & oil pickup gunk far way?

I recently did my 1st MMO OCI in the 5.9L Jeep and I chickened out and did 16oz instead of 32oz and coupled it with some Pennzoil HM 10w30..

Do we have strong opinion or comparison between these two additives for engine oil cleaning/maintenance (and maybe winter starting too)?

Advantage of MMO is you can also stick it in the gas.

I think overall, MMO will work better than Rislone.

After searching long and hard I have been able to find very little on Rislone. For some reason MMO and Auto RX are the top additives cussed and discussed.

However, I have yet to hear anything bad about Rislone.

Anyone use it in a sludged up engine?

I have no first hand experience with Risoline, but know people who have used it with good results. I think Risoline is slightly more aggressive than MMO, and doesn't offer the cold start benefit that MMO does. It does work well cleaning up an engine. I've always had good results with MMO, and if you are looking for a once a year treatment to keep an engine clean I would use MMO during the winter at the suggested 1qt dose. Then if you like try adding a pint for the last 1000 miles of the OCI, you will have a clean engine and keep it that way. JMO

I'm curious about this too. Is Rislone thicker than MMO? I've been using MMO in my fuel for quite a while but I haven't added it to my oil because I'm leery of thinning it out that much. I can also get Rislone here in Canada but I have to cross the border to get MMO.

Even better ... replace that quart of Risoline or MMO with a good motor oil in an appropriate weight. Maybe one of those fancy high-mileage oils with more aggressive cleaners.

Originally Posted By: ERankin
I'm curious about this too. Is Rislone thicker than MMO? I've been using MMO in my fuel for quite a while but I haven't added it to my oil because I'm leery of thinning it out that much. I can also get Rislone here in Canada but I have to cross the border to get MMO.

Rislone is definitely thicker than MMO in my opinion...I still used it mostly when it was colder outside, but I think it is safe to use year-round

Rislone works very well, I have never used it, but recommend it quite often.
I read an article that mercedes recommends a Rislone treatment at 100k.

Fast, you are the master of the (vs) comparos. The oil guys on the PCMO board got tired of it. Now it appears you've moved it down here to the oil additives board.

Someone mentioned boosting post count on the PCMO board, hope that's not true. I mean no offense, but it is getting old.

To answer your post I'll quote you; "Rislone engine treatment is the only additive I ever use or ever will use."
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Fast, you are the master of the (vs) comparos. The oil guys on the PCMO board got tired of it. Now it appears you've moved it down here to the oil additives board.

Someone mentioned boosting post count on the PCMO board, hope that's not true. I mean no offense, but it is getting old.

To answer your post I'll quote you; "Rislone engine treatment is the only additive I ever use or ever will use."
21.gif

I am glad you took the time to dig up an almost 1yr old post right after I joined the forum before I had broadened my horizons and learned from other people on this board. In most Vehicle Owner's manuals it states that oil additives are not needed or recommended...Up to that point the only additive I had seen a perceived benefit from was Rislone...I do not know it all; I learn more about lubes every day and one of the ways I form my opinions and comfort levels with various lubes is to ask specific questions in comparing certain lubes.

I don't know about you, but I live in the USA and reserve the right to change my mind or change my opinion based on newly acquired knowledge. I do not know what this "boosting post count" business is? What is the motivation or significance of someone wanting to do that? Do you do that?

Anyway, I am not offended but taken back a bit at the bashing that goes on here with some of my peers...if you don't like what I ask then exercise your right to not reply to my threads.

The truth is I am sometimes overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information about lubricants that is out there and I have a thirst for knowledge to stock my garage shelf with reliable products to use to get maximum engine life out of my vehicles. I do at times think it is entertaining to read some of the responses I get in the "vs" threads but I also usually take away something I perceive to be beneficial from them and I hope other members have also read responses and felt the same way.

I still think Rislone is a good product, but MMO is something I have known about for years yet never explored...I am obviously asking this question to get responses about my former "exclusive" additive verses an alternative product I have recently elected to try out. Surely you can see my position?

By your link in your sig I can see you have an obsession with posting in general...in addition to lubricants :)

Cheers

what ingredients are in both MMo and Rislone that does the cleaning?? cause based on VOA Rislone have weaker additives than a PCMO...

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: sayjac

21.gif

I am glad you took the time to dig up an almost 1yr old post right after I joined the forum before I had broadened my horizons and learned from other people on this board. In most Vehicle Owner's manuals it states that oil additives are not needed or recommended...Up to that point the only additive I had seen a perceived benefit from was Rislone...I do not know it all; I learn more about lubes every day and one of the ways I form my opinions and comfort levels with various lubes is to ask specific questions in comparing certain lubes.

I'm not singling anyone out here, but quoted you to bring up a good point. This applies to me as well. When I joined this board I like everyone else who wrenches their own cars, DYI guys had more things to learn. I had a certain set of beliefs. Don't change oil brands, don't mix different brands of oil together, and a few others.

What is funny is people will dig up an old thread and quote someone from a year or two ago. I know my mind has changed on a lot of topics. I have Castrol Edge sitting in the basement, along with Amsoil. I wouldn't have gone near any Castrol product with a 10' pole. I was always curious about Amsoil but didn't see myself a buyer of it. As people read here and learn many of them change their views about a lot of things.

I always changed wires at about 50K, along with the cap, plugs, and rotor. This time the wires stay. We learn by asking questions and keeping an open mind. People constantly change, for the good I hope, and broaden their horizons.

Not to respond to any specific comment, but as a general observation, there are many threads here (and other boards) that have the information that has been posted many times and is a matter of reading and 'some' searching.

It good to practice reading and search, some not even past a month or so old, to glean information before posting a new thread, the answers to which have recently or fairly recently been posted.

Just as it's good to have an open mind regarding a change of ideas. It's equally as good to have an open mind about posting without first doing some research, and avoiding repetitious posts for there own sake.

And it was research to help answer another posters question regarding Rislone's MSDS sheet that lead to the find of the quote in the process. No "funny" digging to find a quote was necessary.

An open mind with respect to not only improved oil information etc., but also posting technique would lead to better and less repititious superfluous information being posted. A paradigm change in that direction would be benificial to posters and readers alike.

That said, if the numerous ____vs____ works for you, to each their own.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: FastSUV
Originally Posted By: ERankin

Rislone is definitely thicker than MMO in my opinion...I still used it mostly when it was colder outside, but I think it is safe to use year-round

I have never used Rislone, but from reading about the product on the net it seems to do a good job of cleaning up an engine, I read the History of Rislone and it has been around since 1921.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
I prefer the Rislone concentrate to MMO - at least when it was available in Canada...:)

I Pmed the History of Rislone to a member here and from what I have gathered on the Net this Rislone product seems to do the same things as MMO when used in the motor oil.

Rislone is more engine cleaning specific than MMO.
So it should be better in this respect.
But MMO has more lubrication properties. You may want this if you leave it in for a while.

I like Riselone, it is a gentle cleaner that you can run in maintenance doses. I like that it comes in a thicker base oil, rather than the thinner MMO variety. I believe Riselone is a 30 weight fluid. I just used in to clean an engine in a used car that I just bought, it pulled out some decent varnish, and my oil now runs much cleaner than when I first got the car.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Rislone is more engine cleaning specific than MMO.
So it should be better in this respect.
But MMO has more lubrication properties. You may want this if you leave it in for a while.

? I would think the stoddard solvent in MMO make it the quicker/stonger cleaner, as Rislone uses detergents similar to PCMO. Rislone is a multi viscosity 30 wt oil with add packs as opposed to MMO solvents in a 5 wt oil , making me think Rislone would be a better lubricant?

I saw it different; one clean with MMO and long term use with Rislone.
21.gif
I am not excited either way. I used to use Rislone for no better reason than my Dad did. I am just now trying MMO on a specific clean up application. Either way, I do not hold my breath for cures in a can.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back