Delvac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably the most proven Syn oil used in commercial duty engines costing way more than most of the cars we own. But then more of those pricey engines are doing just fine on dino HDEOS. You can't go wrong choosing Delvac1. It would be hard to find a better well proven oil. Price out Schaeffers oils they probably are at least as good if not better for possibly less money . It would be worth the look there is a site sponser that is a good guy call him.

Thanks . Not looking so much for extended drains as I am wear protection.. Didn't know if this oil was 100% synthetic base stock or group 3. Of course, some may consider group 3 100% base stock

Chevron and Mobil advertise 1 million mile engine life in overthe road trucks using Delo 400 and Delvac 1300. Changing the syn oil out at dino intervals would be wasting good oil with lots of life left in the oil . Study up the posted uoas .How many miles do you expect to put on your Truck? Delvac 1 is the real deal.

There are 4 Delvac 1s:
0 and 5W40 ESP CJ4
5W40 CI4+
5W40 ACEA E4/E5 of which I have 47 gal in my basement

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Chevron and Mobil advertise 1 million mile engine life in overthe road trucks using Delo 400 and Delvac 1300. Changing the syn oil out at dino intervals would be wasting good oil with lots of life left in the oil . How many miles do you expect to put on your Truck? Delvac 1 is the real deal.

Mabe 6k per yr.. I know I will be loosing some oil life.. But, The synthetic will (IMO) offer better wear protection over dino at the same drain intervals

Originally Posted By: D .Ram
, The synthetic will (IMO) offer better wear protection over dino at the same drain intervals

That's very controversial. Only definitely true for cold climates and extreme heat (hot enough to break down oil). There's nothing stopping the mfgs from using the same additives in mineral oils that provide HTHS>3.5; but the same bases don't flow well at -25 C. and colder.
Maybe also true for very long drain intervals due to heat related degradation of mineral oil molecules.

Charlie

6K per year ! You will not wear the truck out because of the oil. Those engines last 350,000 miles with your use. That will take you 58.333333333 years to wear out the engine if the truck has 0 miles on it. I bet you will sell the truck before that. unless you see freezing winters I can't see any advantage in running syn those engines don't show lots of wear.

I drive it some on the weekends.. Most of the time it is parked in the garage .85k on it when I bought it

Quote:
There's nothing stopping the mfgs from using the same additives in mineral oils that provide HTHS>3.5

That's what I've noticed from VOA. The dino's have more additives. So I assume that synthetics don't need the extra additives.

I then wonder if synthetics with less additives provide better protection than a quality dino with additives (assuming non-extreme temperature climate)?

From the marketing material from oil mfr's, they promote synthetics for extreme climate temperatures. Haven't seem claims for extending engine life or provide better protection. Shell's T6 marketing material promote synthetics for low emissions, maintenance savings, and energy savings.

Jake

Originally Posted By: snakyjake

From the marketing material from oil mfr's, they promote synthetics for extreme climate temperatures. Haven't seem claims for extending engine life or provide better protection. Shell's T6 marketing material promote synthetics for low emissions, maintenance savings, and energy savings.

Exactly. Lower viscosity at very low temps, decreased viscosity during warmup and potential of longer change intervals. Also decreased viscosity at running temps since those are usually 78-80 C. and they are viscosity equivalent to Group II oils at 100 C., the index temp. for 40 viscosity.
Some synthetics, notably the European ACEA E4 oils (virtually all Group III except for 2 Delvacs) are loaded with additives with very long OCIs in mind. Look at the calcium at the very bottom of this page which accounts for its' TBN of 16:
http://www.mobil.com/Egypt-English/Lubes/PDS/GLEGENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_SHC_5W-40.asp
However, some of the product descriptions I read does claim lower wear for synthetics and it can't be accidental that all the oils that meet ACEA E4 and mb 228.5 are Group III or IV. Much of those specs demands low wear, low deposit formation.

Charlie

Doug Hillary has posted pictures of a 1.2 million Km tear-down of a 500HP Detroit run on Delvac 1. Parts were still within "new" spec, and engine was reassembled and currently has 2.5 million Km's on it..... OCI's were 90-100,000Km's using a centrifuge.

My belief is, that synthetic oil is slicker (for lack of a better term) which allows it to get into places dino can't..That's why IMO, it will lube better & offer better wear protection than dino. I would prefer a group 4-5 (or true synthetic) over a group 3. That's the reason I asked if Delvac was 100% synthetic ( group 4) as they had listed

Last edited:
The dino oil gets everywhere just as easy as syn oil. Where do you get the idea syn oil gets into places that dino will not? Actually syn oil as well as most oils are adjusted for the coefficient of friction other wise if the oil is too slick the rollers on the lifters will skid instead of roll and stuff like that "Weird huh"!

There is a large amount of evidence (all the UOAs here and other sites) that show dino HDEOs can perform completely in step with high-end PAO products, and provide the same wear protetion, when "used as directed".

The UOA copied above is mine. Look it over. Tell me how much "better" you think a PAO would have done? Better yet, show me UOAs that exhibit success where ONLY the PAO would have survived, and a dino failed.

Under certain condition (I am being specific here), dino's are every bit as good as PAOs.
1) as long as OCIs are short to moderate (less than 10k miles)
2) as long as temps are not obscenely extreme (stay between -10 deg F and not "water pump failure" hot)

BTW - in case you didn't catch my post in another thread, I personally don't believe that any "pure PAO" can exist in the mass market. High end products such as Delvac 1 has some small amount of lesser groups added to them to assist in the lubricant holding it's add-pack in suspension. There is no "pure" lube on the mass market.

Last edited:
I used to use the 5W-40 in my 7.3 Powerstroke. It shears any oil so badly that extended drains aren't in the picture. I also don't live in a harsh climate. Delvac 1300 has given good service, and is much cheaper to change at 5K miles than Delvac 1. As has been said many times here; unless you do extraordinary things with your truck most of the time, synthetics will give you no advantage and cost you much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back