Is Chevron gas with Techron worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the Techron (PEA) is at such a low concentration, it seems like it would be insignificant, even for maintenance. Would it be more cost effective to buy less expensive gas, and add a bit of PEA concentrate for maintenance, or just occasionally at full strength for "shock" cleaning?

You never really know how well the fuel was blended at the transfer station. Maybe best to run a low maintenance dose at least every other fillup and then 1/2 recommended amt at oil change times. The engine fuel rail is the only place to put a "shock" treatment in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You never really know how well the fuel was blended at the transfer station. Maybe best to run a low maintenance dose at least every other fillup and then 1/2 recommended amt at oil change times. The engine fuel rail is the only place to put a "shock" treatment in.

I've read that they only put a bit of Techron in to treat hundreds of gallons of gas. That doesn't seem like enough to me. I can save $2.50 a tankful buying another brand. And, the Regane and Redline stuff isn't terribly expensive. By "shock treatment" I meant adding a whole bottle of concentrate when you fill up. What is the engine fuel rail?

Originally Posted By: jackson
What is the engine fuel rail?
If you dont know, you dont want to be messing there. It is the high pressure plumbing that feeds the fuel injectors on the engine - there is usuallly a schraeder valve there to bleed/ pressure check/ and/or introduce FI cleaners, Dont mess with it - you have to be a certified tech before you play with this stuff. You dont really want strong cleaner going all through the fuel system (tank/pump/lines) I would never do a "shock treatment" - usually more harm than good.

Arco, there have been thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of full strength applications of FI cleaners dumped into rigs over the last ten years. Why are you saying they do more harm than good?

I've used both the Red Line and Amsoil products with no harm in my rigs. These products are designed to be used full strength, in fact I doubt there is much benefit unless you do.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
You dont really want strong cleaner going all through the fuel system (tank/pump/lines) I would never do a "shock treatment" - usually more harm than good.

I respectfully disagree

Worth it to me. first, there are Chevron stations everywhere here in central Ky. Second, my BMW likes the 93 octane as I have a "chipped' ecu. Third it is a top tier fuel.

Thar said, I use a container of Techron or Regane every once in a while. I currently using 4 oz of MMO per 10 gallons of fuel. Car runs very well in the cool fall temperatures.

I can get Chevron as cheap as any other brand other than Arco. So I use it or Shell. I also use maintenance dose of Redline S1. I should never have a fuel or injector issue

Oddly enough, Chevron is one of the cheapest places for me to purchase gas, so that's where I usually fill up.

Originally Posted By: jackson
Since the Techron (PEA) is at such a low concentration, it seems like it would be insignificant, even for maintenance. Would it be more cost effective to buy less expensive gas, and add a bit of PEA concentrate for maintenance, or just occasionally at full strength for "shock" cleaning?

Jackson,

Generally that's what I do is buy Arco or Costco gas and add a big bottle of Techron about every other month as a supplement. Government standard dictate a certain amount of solvent in ALL gasolines anyway. The bottle of Techron just assures more cleaning ptotection.

Durango

i think it's 2nd best, behind Shell V-power
55.gif

A preference for gas stations is like a preferance for fast food hamburgers. They all taste a little different but they're all exactly the same.

All the fuel around here, EVERY BRAND, is filled into a tanker truck from the SAME PIPE! I've watched it happen. The difference in brands is so insignificant that you'd be better off buying a bottle of Techron and running 1oz/gal on mystery fuel.

all the fuel around here is from Chevron or Tesoro since those are the only refineries here. from Indonesian crude. so even the Shell is one of those w/ their add pack

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey
A preference for gas stations is like a preferance for fast food hamburgers. They all taste a little different but they're all exactly the same.

All the fuel around here, EVERY BRAND, is filled into a tanker truck from the SAME PIPE! I've watched it happen. The difference in brands is so insignificant that you'd be better off buying a bottle of Techron and running 1oz/gal on mystery fuel.

Until the additives are put in. My car runs better on Shell than BP. So I don't use BP.

Originally Posted By: SecondMonkey

I agree, I've seen the same tanker drop fuel at a Shell station and a few miles down the road drop fuel to a Brand-x station. Most of those drops are at night. I buy gas based on price, add MMO to the gas, and before I change my oil add a bottle of FI cleaner to the mix. So far so good.

Thanks for all the responses. In my area, Chevron is generally the most expensive of the top tier brands. I'll stick with the Costco, Arco etc. I'm trying out the tcw3 oil right now. I'll buy a bottle of Redline SI-1 and see how that works.

I've talked to service managers on this issue from many different brands/dealerships (GM, Dodge, chevy, Ford, Porsche, BMW, Volvo, to name a few). Certain cars are more susceptible to fuel injector deposits than others. I have heard from several that there is a big difference on cars for people that always run the cheapest gas they can get vs. people who use top tier brands. But this would not be true for some old carberated car for example. For sensitive cars, running a top tier fuel is a must IMO. If you have some old pickup, it is not going to notice the difference between cheap chinese gas (arco, etc.) with minimal filtration and top tier gas that gets more filtration. For me I always use top tier gas such as Chevron because keeping things clean is important to me.

FUEL- Its all from the same pipe line in a particular GEO centre and differentiated by adds MAYBE at the transfer staion. Its chemistry changes with each passing day as co's feed the line. There is NO other way logistically to deliver fuel in qty. Best bet is a station that has minimal H20 in the tanks, and newer tanks installed. Then, you buy your own Shell V-power cleaner ( or insert fav cleaner >here< )and dose each tankfull to be sure. You are lucky the special day you get a tank of something that resembles the fuel min specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back