Why do tires lose air over time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming the same air temp & tire temp, the tires do lose air. Why is this?

On the Vue, 3-5lbs is the usual fill-up. The little Saturn, 2-3lbs, my kids bike tires...almost all air pressure has escaped over the course of a week or two.

air very very slowly can move through the rubber
also it can leak around valve stem(by rim), valve stem core, and the tire bead area.

oxygen molecules are small enough to escape through rubber, while nitrogen molecules are much bigger therefore stays inside your tire..

Your kid's bike tires are losing air so fast because butyl tubes are gas permeable, and bike tire casings are several orders of magnitude thinner than car tires--plus, while tire pressure may be high, absolute volume is quite low. You should see how fast a high-pressure road tire loses air, particularly with a latex tube! (about 40-60psi loss in a day).

If you want to avoid flats and dented rims, keep Billy's tires pumped up!

Since oxygen molecules are able to diffuse through tires easily and nitrogen cannot, does it mean that over time the nitrogen in your tires will increase as more oxygen escapes and decreases? Example: I keep my tires inflated over a period of a few years. Over that time period would the concentration of nitrogen increase as the concentration of oxygen decreases, eventually leading to a tire that is mostly nitrogen filled?

First air can move through rubber it is not air tight just close. Second valve stems do not seal completly and if you have no valve cap they leak even faster. Third the temp of the air when it is put in the tire and even the temp of the tire itself when measureing it's pressure all make a huge difference. If I rember correctly every 10 degre's difference in ambient temp as compared to when you filled the tire cause's a +- 2°F change in pressure.

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
Since oxygen molecules are able to diffuse through tires easily and nitrogen cannot, does it mean that over time the nitrogen in your tires will increase as more oxygen escapes and decreases? Example: I keep my tires inflated over a period of a few years. Over that time period would the concentration of nitrogen increase as the concentration of oxygen decreases, eventually leading to a tire that is mostly nitrogen filled?

that's my understanding as well. So places that charge extra for nitrogen fill-up are ripping people off.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ

that's my understanding as well. So places that charge extra for nitrogen fill-up are ripping people off.

I don't think so. I think the Law of Partial Pressures of Gasses works in this case as well.

The law states that you should treat mixtures of gasses as though each gas where independent. So if you had 100 psi air, then you treat the Nitrogen part as though it were 78 psi and the Oxygen part as though it were 21 psi.

That means that if the diffusion rate through a membrane is the same for both Nitrogen and Oxygen, then the amount of nitrogen loss is 3.7 times (78/21) the amount for oxygen - and that maintains the percentage amounts.

It also means that when the diffusion rate is different for these 2 gasses (which is the usual case), the effect diminishes over time. In this case, the difference between the amount of Nitrogen and Oxygen would tend to diverge but would slow down. I think you would be hard pressed to show any significant affect on the percentage.

BTW, some studies have been done with nitrogen inflation showing that oxygen permeates back into the air chamber from the outside.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
almost all air pressure has escaped over the course of a week or two.

Are you positive that all ambient atmospheric conditions were similar from when you filled the tires compared to when you checked them last?

Yeah, hot and sticky outside. LOL I'm out in the garage every week filling these cheap things up. I can't recall filling up my bike tires as often as I fill up my kids' bike tires now. You'd swear they were tubeless by how often it happens.

Not just on their current bikes, but on their previous ones, too. I suspect all of them were made in China and may have (read: 99.99% chance) something to do with it.

some high quality tires simply do not lose measurable air.

I have a fleet of trucks and several NEVER require air, they are all checked every week.

And all the hype about Nitrogen is total [censored]. Complete waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back