Very Impressed with Castrol High Mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
After tens of thousands of miles and regular Maxlife not helping our leaks (syn ML worked), we've been using Castrol HM 5W-30 SM. Castrol HM has stopped leaks in four engines: Explorer, Taurus, Cad STS & Stratus. It took 2-3 OCI of ~2500miles on average. All cars have had great maintenence. Another confusing observation is the change in gas mileage over many miles. To my surprise, the Explorer's mpg has increased from 19-20hwy to 20-24 with Castrol HM, and the Stratus from 26-28hwy to 27-33; averages taken over ~10mos. Neither engine uses oil. This is interesting for a very thick 5W-30. The cars feel peppier, and the Stratus has given the best 1/4 mile times too. Overall it has been quite impressive. I wanted to share this, but also to ask why this oil may be resulting in the changes. What groups are the basestocks? Is this a good oil? Does the 5w30 shear?

Four of my friends have switched, and we've observed the Cast HM to nearly stop engine ticks and clicks on a 97 Intrepid 3.3 and 98 Sunfire 2.2 ! I will gather a sample for a UOA next OCI from the Stratus.

i posted about switching from m1 to castrol hm 10w-30 .i will also do a uoa in as soon as i get 3500-4000 miles on it.

Wow..
He must be racing his high school buddies.
I'd hate to think what mom and dad would say when he brings that 4-banger home with a blown head. I must ask as well, you REALLY do 1/4 mile runs in your stratus?
LOL...

Let's stay on-topic please.

It is great that we've got a couple people planning UOAs, but PLEASE, we also need a VOA for Castrol GTX HM (SM/GF-4). Thanks.

Agreed,
I'm running Castrol HM 5/30 right now and would be intetested to know the results.
Although, for my own reasons, I'm thinking of getting off the HM bandwaggon and going back to straight conventional. I've learned that just because an engine is 10 years old and has 121k as mine does, it does not necessarily make the engine tired and worn out..

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
lol, you do 1/4 mile runs in your stratus?!?

Yeah, I was going to ask about that too.
grin.gif

Off topic or not, I just could let that one get by.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
offtopic.gif

Is it your car that he's running at the strip??? NO. It's his. Do some of you feel so superior that you have to bust some guys jewels on an internet message board about what kinda car he ran at the strip? Believe me, I've seen A LOT worse at the drag strip.

Chill out. I wasn't busting his jewels, just having a little fun. Plus I'd honestly like to know the circumstances surrounding running a Dodge Stratus at the track. Maybe he's highly modifed the car in some way? Inquring minds want to know.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
offtopic.gif

Is it your car that he's running at the strip??? NO. It's his. Do some of you feel so superior that you have to bust some guys jewels on an internet message board about what kinda car he ran at the strip? Believe me, I've seen A LOT worse at the drag strip.

They're not being hostile or attacking him. It doesn't kill a guy if they're just poking fun. I'm sure he'd smoke the Civic I saw last night at the school parking lot with plates "8K Rdlne", with a fake Si badge. That raised an eyebrow.
tongue.gif

Now back on topic: I've had good results with their oils in the past, but I have not run their HM oil in any car of mine or my immediate family, because I either run Havoline/Castrol GTX dino or full synthetic. Hard to gauge the effectiveness of an oil at slowing/stopping weeps and leaks when I don't have any. However, I have customers who tell me they really like it for their leaky cars. I sure as heck would recommend it over Lucas Oil Stabilizer, which is too popular for my tastes.

LOL. I should have elaborated more. First, the Explorer is a 95 4.0L V6 ~172000m, had since 98 with ~60000. M1 used to 152000. It's my mother's, and with good maintenence practices it's been an exceptional car.

The Stratus doesn't go to a track, LOL. The only mod it has is a K&N, lol. It is a 97 and has a mitsubishi 2.5-V6. Car has ~109000m and is a great mpg vehicle-it usually gets 2x the mpg of the Cad STS. I have a G-tech (which has been within .2sec of actual track times) from having a Camaro Z28 from DRM. I've just used it from time to time on other cars for the fun of it. I have a UOA from the Stratus on bitog with M1+RL which was outstanding, and thought it neat to compare. The car isn't bad for what it is. 1/4 best is 15.7, but with CastlHM it has been 15.9-16.0 every time, lol. The low end seems much improved with this oil.

Regarding how the oil cleans rings: It must clean them well, along with other things. Cadillac Northstar engines are notorious for consuming oil, especially due to carbon buildup + stuck rings. Using Castrol HM in that engine must have relieve the issues and nearly stop oil consumption. Maybe it gives better ring seal as well.

quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
Now back on topic: I've had good results with their oils in the past, but I have not run their HM oil in any car of mine or my immediate family

Castrol gets ragged on a lot, but I think they have shown that overall their engineers (even in the US) know how to formulate an excellent motor oil. When they decided to jump on the high mileage bandwagon (started by Valvoline with their MaxLife), I'm sure they took the task seriously with the intent to build a top-notch oil that would beat Valvoline at their own game. I think they succeded.

G-MAN FYI Castrol doesent formulate any motor oils in the USA. All there products are made by different compounders/blenders all over the country.

I've been surprised by many of the High Mileage Oils. I sometimes wonder if the High Mileage Oils would not have some added benefits to even a low-mileage engine.

As for your 1/4 mile times, DSteven, dont let these guys give you a hard time. They'll shut up when your Stratus or your STS leaves their civic eating dust.

Is it known what basestocks are used for Castrol High Mileage? How do the cold temp specs compare to other oils?

Not knocking Maxlife, but it just didn't do a thing to any engine it was used in, but the Castrol HM did accomplish its claims.

I believe many High Mileage oils have nice additive packages, and using them may only benefit any engine, new or used. A good point may be Cadillac Northstar engines that consume oil from the first OCI. The STS engine has 18000 miles, and the CastrolHM is helping it! Although not necessary as pointed out, using a High Mileage oil in most any engine should be a good thing.

Are there any reasons for NOT trying a 5W-20 oil for one OCI in the Stratus or STS, just to see how things compare?

I don't mind if there is teasing...it's all fun. The Stratus isn't a racer, but it has been a great car. I've taken the G-tech on test drives, and the salespeople always question what it does...I tell them it tests to see how well the vehicle is working...LOL

quote:

Originally posted by drums57:
G-MAN FYI Castrol doesent formulate any motor oils in the USA. All there products are made by different compounders/blenders all over the country.

Castrol does have R&D offices in the US staffed by engineers and tribologists who come up with the formulas that are given to the blenders. In other words, Castrol North America "designs" their own oils even though they do contract out some of the blending. Castrol does have a few of their own blending facilities in the US.

Sorry G-MAN Castrol does not have ANY blending facilities in the USA. They do have a 800# for tech info. thats in WAYNE N.J. but thats it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back