Fram SD2 SureDrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Is any one using that ? its super cheap 8$ on Amazon ,,,

But I'm not sure if its reliable ..

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Harbor Fright :) brand one that I am going to install on the next oil change, but that's in a few months. My Dad purchased a few of these Fram branded ones for his vehicles although I am not sure if he installed them yet. I have confidence that they will be fine.

I installed it on Honda S2000 last Dec. It did not leak any oil around the plug, since I use syn oil in this car and intend to do 7k/12mo OCI, I will not change oil until Dec so that I don't know how fast/slow to drain oil with this Fram SureDrain. I hear that it drains very slow.

As long as it is reliable its fine with me ... I'm sure that the drain time is not that bad ...

I have looked at these for quite a while and decided having something hanging lower or even jutting out of the pan parallel to the ground was not a great idea - I'm afraid it could snap off. And I could see some piece of debris flying under the car and my oil light coming on...Of course I would probably be hundreds of miles from home, too.

I've read of many satisfied users, but I feel the same way. Why tempt fate? Since I don't do UOA's there really is no need for me to have one. YMMV

AD

In my application It will be fine ... I will snap Oil Pan or filter before ...

Beside Sure Drains are looking like low profile

Last edited:
They are low profile. They are nothing like the Fumoto valves if that is the concern. I would not even worry about the Fumoto valves either, honestly. I have one on the Rx-7.

The reason I installed SureDrain on Honda S2000 is oil extractor did not vacuum all oil via dipstick tube. I can reach SureDrain cap and oil filter from the top of the engine, so that I can change oil and filter without jack up the car, and I don't have a ramp.

I have one on my honda element and it works great and dosent leak. The hard part is screwing it on because the tube spins with the bolt, so you have to pinch it closed while putting it on but thats pretty easy. the other problem is the hose is slipped onto the fitting not molded so you have to be sure that the hose dosent slip off the fitting and spill oil everywhere! Is the harbor freight one the exact same as the fram?? never seen that at harbor freight but maybe I'll take a look, I'd like one on my sonata.

Yes, the HF one is essentially the same as the Fram, I have compared the two as I have both. The HF only comes in 1 size, the SD2 size only, I believe. I will take pics of the HF one later tonight.

Last edited:
Well I bought the one at HF and just changed my oil and put it on. Its a little different than the fram. It dident come with a crush washer like the fram but no big deal since I had one. It also has a larger opening for the oil to drain out wich is a good thing I would guess. I am surprised that it dident have a crush washer and the instructions said nothing about it. I think it would have a tough time sealing without one. Overall good buy for $3.99 now we'll see if in the morning there is 4.5 quarts of oil on my driveway!

I'm using the Sure Drain on two of my cars & would be using it on all of them if I could find them again. Yes, the valve is slow to drain oil, but the "coupling" is so easy to attach...beats breaking out a wrench and cranking on an oil plug at an odd-angle.

As for breaking off the valve due to clearance, it would be pretty difficult in my applications. Unless someone has a unique oil pan that drains from the bottom, and not the rear, I don't really see how the SureDrain would be any more of a clearance issue than the regular old drain plug. It's not like the exposed part of the valve is that much longer than the head of a drain bolt...

BTW: Now that I see the SD's are on Amazon, can anybody point me to an application guide? I'm looking for a valve for a 3.3l Grand Caravan.

Thanks.

use the guide from fumoto drain valves. If you have a harbor freight you can get the same thing for $3.99 and no shipping if your car takes a SD2 which it probably does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back