Motorcraft FL820 s or Mobil 1 M1 210

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always used the Motorcraft FL820s oil filter in my Ford Ranger, with what I assume are good results (never had a UOA). After learning that that the filter has gotten smaller, I was considering a change to something with better filtering ability. I have always used the Motorcraft because of the value, and more importantly, the location of the bypass valve. How important is the location of the bypass valve really? I used a Mobil 1 filter once, years ago, and don't remember noticing any strange noises etc. Cost not being an issue, which should I use? Which is more important, filtering ability or the location of the bypass valve?

I would not be concerned about the size - have you seen how small of a filter GM puts on some of their V8's?!?!?!? Motorcraft is a VERY GOOD filter - especially for the price. The M1's filter a little bit better from the tests that I have seen - although at double the cost.

I use mobil 1 filters on my parents cars both of witch have a horizontal filter and they've never said anything to me about any start up noise and they live in michigan. M1 filters and some of the best as far as I know. Use it and sleep well at night

My ONLY concern about the Mobil 1 filter is the location of the bypass valve, Ford specs it in the base but the Mobil 1 has it in the end. I guess my real question is, how important is the location of the bypass?

My sons Ranger has the 3.0 engine and it has mostly used the M1 filter. 334,000 miles at 10-13,000 OCIs. No problems and the engine still runs great.

I cant imagine that the exact location of the bypass valve is crucial - as long as it functions. theoretically you will never need the bypass valve anyway

Frankly how important can the thread end bypass or generous filter media when so many people get away with using Fram?

I have recently decided American made by an American owned company is important. I am not sure about the bypass location, but see little reason to patronize a German owned company to get a dome end one. For my next filter, I am going to be looking at Champ and Clarcore products. Maybe WIX if the price is right on a thread end filter.

Originally Posted By: J_Myler
I use mobil 1 filters on my parents cars both of witch have a horizontal filter and they've never said anything to me about any start up noise and they live in michigan. M1 filters and some of the best as far as I know. Use it and sleep well at night

I have a horizontal filter and also live in Michigan. I've used a bunch of different brands be it with a silicone ADBV or a nitrile ADBV, ranging from the cheap (SuperTech and ProLine) to more expensive filters such as the Amsoil EaO20 and never had any start-up noise.
21.gif
With the EaO however, the oil light did take a second or two longer to go off at start-up, but still no unexpected noises.

I would vote to keep using the MC's. They're a great filter, M1 may be better but not enough to warrant the cost. At my Walmart, MC's are 3.64 and M1's are 9.99.

Ive been using the Motorcraft 820s in my 04 Ranger 4.0 since day one, no problems, and the price is right. 3 dollars and change at A.Z. or W.M. for OE equipment you cant beat that.

The 820s is one of the best filters you can buy.....especially for the price. Stick with it.

Purolator made be partially owned by a German company, but the profit on the filters are going back to Ford Motor Company. The profits are therefore staying in our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back