2002 bmw 530i oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys....My first post. I have been using this board for a year now but never had a question before.
so here goes, my brother in law owns a 2002 BMW 530i. I have never worked on one before but he had a poor running engine and the valve cover was leaking fron the lower front bolt. The car has 127,000 miles.
I installed a new gasket. Cleaned the camsensor switch connector and washed the engine off. I have to say this real quick, What an easy motor to work on I love it!(I'm a japanese car fan)
Anyhow with the front tires up on ramps and with a quart and a half low on oil. I noticed another oil leak with the engine now washed. This time it is coming from the intake side near the front of the motor just behind the steering pump resivour.
I removed the air box and grabbed a very strong light and all I can tell was that the oil is starting from just below the head gasket but there is a few lines in the way so I am unable to till for sure.
I drove the car back off of the ramps and the leak slowed. Drove the car around town and the leak is still slow.
I filled the crankcase back up to normal and drove the car back up the tire ramp but now it's not running down the side of the block like it did the first time. just a slow leak. Is there an oil line in that area? The black cap next to the steering pump bottle, is that the oil filter? I just do not have any experience working on this car or any BMW so this is all new to me.
Anyhow, sorry for the length. Would like to know if anyone with BMW experience can tell me what to look for.
Thanks guys and what a great website!

You might want to check the oil filter assembly. If the leak is higher up on the motor it might be coming from the plastic cap of the oil filter. It's the one you mentioned, with the 36mm plastic nut on top.

If it looks like the leak is lower down, but in that area, it might be from where the oil filter assembly bolts to the engine.

Here's a diagram. It's part #6 for the lower gasket.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NA73&mospid=47758&btnr=11_2201&hg=11&fg=30&hl=17

It could be very well something got aggravated when you put it on the ramps. This is slightly unrelated, but when I had my old Nissan, I put it up on the ramps and coolant went everywhere. Turned out the cap wasn't holding pressure enough, but I didn't notice until it was on a steep hill and it leaked. Could be something similar, although not coolant... maybe brake fluid or power steering fluid?

Originally Posted By: 2xE46
You might want to check the oil filter assembly. If the leak is higher up on the motor it might be coming from the plastic cap of the oil filter. It's the one you mentioned, with the 36mm plastic nut on top.

If it looks like the leak is lower down, but in that area, it might be from where the oil filter assembly bolts to the engine.

Here's a diagram. It's part #6 for the lower gasket.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=NA73&mospid=47758&btnr=11_2201&hg=11&fg=30&hl=17

x2

It could be part #6, it's a pretty common leak. Luckily the gasket is only $2.29 from the place where I buy parts. :)

Also, take the oil filter cap off and check the gasket, it could be put on wrong (part #4).

It could be part #15 here too..

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&btnr=11_2170&hg=11&fg=15

Hey bimmerman, thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I needed to see. My local parts stores do not carry the haynes or chiltons for the 5 series.
I'll see about getting to them soon, but the car will not be here for too much longer as they are moving back to san fransico at the end of the month.My main goal is just to make sure that it is road worthy enough to get from NOLA to Cali.

Originally Posted By: brelandt
Hey bimmerman, thanks for the pictures. That is exactly what I needed to see. My local parts stores do not carry the haynes or chiltons for the 5 series.
I'll see about getting to them soon, but the car will not be here for too much longer as they are moving back to san fransico at the end of the month.My main goal is just to make sure that it is road worthy enough to get from NOLA to Cali.

Here's a DIY for the oil filter housing to block seal...

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/oil/housing.htm

In step 12 he says to torque the bolts to 26 Ft/lbs, do not torque them that tight. BMWs torque spec for those bolts is 17 Ft/lbs.

Taking the belt on and off with the fan shroud on is a pain in the butt, but it is possible.

Ok, that doesn't look hard at all. Thanks once again for all of the help you have provided.
I'll update you on the situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back