Oil leaks on Chevy LS engines

i work on a fleet of these and own one. rear cover gasket needs to be replaced along with the rear main. i’d reccomend replacing the oil pan gasket and oil cooler lines while you’re in there aswell.

ONLY use GM gaskets and seals, others will leak after a short amount of time. while you have the oil pan down, it’s a good idea to replace the oil pickup tube O-ring aswell as add a cheap-o amazon LS oil pump pickup girdle. it uses both bolt holes in the pump instead of one to help keep the pickup tube secure.

the hardest part of this job is removing and reinstalling the transmission but the rest of it is very easy with a bunch of 10mm headed bolts.

This shot shows that the upper part of the bellhousing does not seem to have oil coming coming down it from the pressure sensor.

F546839B-9F75-4F99-9491-669D73BFF381.jpeg

There's a plug on the end of the oil cooler block that's sealed with an O-ring that will harden & leak. Swap that along with the oil cooler to pan gasket. Clean it all up & recheck.
I use a A/C o-ring of the correct size for the plug

The Oil Pan gasket & Rear Cover gasket are both exposed to full oil pressure & will eventually leak. In the case of a Gen IV....So is the Valley Cover gasket

Mahle gaskets & seals work well on Gen III & IV LS engines. Fel-Pro is okay except for their Valve Cover gaskets.

There's a plug on the end of the oil cooler block that's sealed with an O-ring that will harden & leak. Swap that along with the oil cooler to pan gasket. Clean it all up & recheck.
I use a A/C o-ring of the correct size for the plug

The Oil Pan gasket & Rear Cover gasket are both exposed to full oil pressure & will eventually leak. In the case of a Gen IV....So is the Valley Cover gasket

Mahle gaskets & seals work well on Gen III & IV LS engines. Fel-Pro is okay except for their Valve Cover gaskets.
Might this be the plug on the oil cooler block?

688D986C-61E0-4F4F-BEC8-E233F36877C2.jpeg

Just an observation, I had a pesky leak from the back of my 5.7, most likely the rear main. I switched to Castol GTX High Mileage 10w-40 and the leak has resolved itself. Surprisingly I had ran other brand HM oils and none made a difference till I ran the Castrol.

With that many miles on your engine, its no surprise seals are getting hard and weepy.

There’s two styles of gasket applicable based upon your equipment. Make sure to get what you need. Top here is the gasket for when you have an oil cooler line block.

IMG_3510.jpg

Then below here is when you have an oil cooler block off plate.

IMG_3511.jpg

They’re usually pretty good gaskets. I think I saw a paper style before. I wouldn’t expect those to be any good so don’t seek them out.

While its fresh in my mind, BTR (Brian Tooley Racing) sells all the same GM Genuine gaskets on Summit Racing, almost same part numbers. From what I can tell from ordering a few, and from the appearances, numbers and packaging, they just resell GM. Usually a little bit cheaper too.

I replaced the oil cooler block gasket with a new GM one that looked identical. I’m still getting an oil droplet forming. Next time I take the truck out of service, I’ll undo the end the plug on the side of the block and change the O ring like you suggested. Photo is looking up, beside the new oil filter. Thanks.

55481F12-54D6-4B0C-97A9-E0ADBBE91B9C.jpeg

I came across this 10 year old posting from the the Tahoe Yukon Forum where the person cut a chunk of 3/8 inch hex wrench to fit into the recessed end of the side plug in the oil cooler line block. By removing the plastic cover on the transmission he was able to get the chunk of hex wrench into the recess and use a crescent wrench to turn the plug out and change the O ring. Apparently a 9/16 O-ring fits. This is my current plan.

F3F38D86-8CCA-4B53-AB51-677797A58610.jpg
21590135-600A-43A5-AA6D-8339A0AA4898.jpg

Back