2009 Tundra 5.7 whats everyone using?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most 5W-20's are, in fact semi-synthetic to begin with...

Rumor has it that motor likes 0W-20: there's using Chevron Supreme 5W-20 at about $1.00 on sale, after rebate (if/when you can find it, that is!), or "bring your checkbook!" for the 0W-20 stuff.

For 5-6K warranty-driven OCI's I know what I would use.

Cheers!

I have an '07 with 23k.
I have used Penz YB and PP in 5-20.
PP during the winter.
Have some Castrol waiting.

I have an '08 Tundra, been using Motorcaft 5w20. Seems to work great for the 5000 mile OCI, hard to beat the price too.

I have an 07 tundra w/ 22k miles on it.

I have run 0w20 amsoil in it with some cold start knocking. This oil is performing VERY well for light duty use. Actually at 5k miles, the oil looks almost virgin in wear metal content. This is not my truck, someoene elses. Mine IMO, didn't fair as good, as it sees mainly heavy towing use.

Current fill is ASL 5w30 and the truck is much much quieter, and no cold start knock at all. Lost some city mpg, but hiway is stellar at 19-20 mpg. If amsoil recomended this oil for the 5.7, i would continue it's use. But the only 30w they recomend, is the SSO 0w30 which has proven to be one of the best oils you can buy. This will probably be put in next fill.
These are the 100% synthetic oils and are a little expensive when not used for extended oil change intervals. My OCI are 1 yr/13k miles whichever comes first.
Amsoil's XL5W20 is a great choice and can be had for $5.00 a qt. P.C. price.

But for 5k intervals and light duty use, IMO a cheap synthetic is a good choice.
I would definately recomend synthetic though.

Oh, and i recomend an early change at about 2000 miles or so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Lost some city mpg, but hiway is stellar at 19-20 mpg.

3Toyotas,
What speed are you running to achieve this mpg?
I also have the cold start knock.
Maybe I'll try a oci of 5/30.

Originally Posted By: RichR
Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
Lost some city mpg, but hiway is stellar at 19-20 mpg.

3Toyotas,
What speed are you running to achieve this mpg?
I also have the cold start knock.
Maybe I'll try a oci of 5/30.

I recently went to vegas with 4 adults in the truck and some luggage. I set the cruise at 71-72 mph the whole way in S-6 mode. S mode does give a little better hiway mpg, as it doesn't hold gears as long. I had to recalculate, cause i couldn't beleive it (19.3). And the trip has tons of hills on the way down, so the truck did drop to 5th a couple times. There are guys claiming 24 mpg at 55 mph, but who knows for sure.

I think a lot of tundra owners have the cold start knock with this motor. It must have something to do with the cannister filter or something.

I know it got rid of my cold start knock completely. This is with synthetic though. Remember toyota does not recomend a 30w for this motor. But a lot of guys are running it with the same results as me. Quieter running, and no cold start knock.

Give it a shot. Toyota does say you can run 5w30, but be sure to change to a 20w at the next interval. If i'm not mistaken.....

I have 2 dealers fairly close. One uses Pennzoil products the other Mobil. Was hoping to stay with a dino for awhile. Is that new filter a pain to get to/replace?

Originally Posted By: foxer
I have 2 dealers fairly close. One uses Pennzoil products the other Mobil. Was hoping to stay with a dino for awhile. Is that new filter a pain to get to/replace?

Yes, it is a PITA unless you cut a 4" hole in the skid plate like we did. Then it's easy. Otherwise, you have to remove the skid plate to get to the cannister filter.

3 Toyotas,
The best I have gotten is 18 on a 300 plus run in TN.
The road was out of the wind un like most of my IL driving.
Usually get 15.
I'll try your method out west this spring.
Thanks

Originally Posted By: RichR
3 Toyotas,
The best I have gotten is 18 on a 300 plus run in TN.
The road was out of the wind un like most of my IL driving.
Usually get 15.
I'll try your method out west this spring.
Thanks

My DC 5.7L 4X4 truck has 3" magnaflow exhaust (dual in, single out), & a TRD drop in filter. It is also well broke in at 22k miles. This is the best (19.3) i have ever gotten with it. Best i ever got before that has been 17.5 mostly hiway. Just filled it up the other day and it was 17.5 70/30 hiway/city. I'm running top tier shell midgrade.
This motor gets it's best mpg under 2k rpm's btw. If you drove 65mph or less, you'd break into the 20's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back