Lucas transmission fix

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does the polymetric film do in the lucas transmission fix additive? Does it have any benefits and if it does how does it benefit the transmission?

Most of Lucas is a polymer designed to thicken oil. May have some tackifier in it that is supposed make the oil stick to parts as well. I would not use the product.

Just get some fresh ATF in there.

I am using it right now in my Subaru, but I would not recommend it. It makes my transmission shudder (the original problem was rough shifting in low gears). It really just thickens up the ATF and contains tons of red coloring to make the fluid look "fresher".

I have an 87 crown victoria that would pop out of gear and do all sorts of weird stuff.. i put a quart of the lucas transmission fix in and it has shifted fine ever since. (I drained off a quart first to ensure I didn't overfill)

I also fixed the starter that didn't engage 50% of the time by driving really fast down a washboard road.. it shook it loose and make it work 100% of the time.

I don't know if the trans just needed a little help or what, but it seemed to work on a car I don't care about whatsoever.

Last edited:
Tried it once in a car (can't remember which one) and it did nothing to improve shifting. I have had good luck with transx though for reviving tired slushboxes.

I used it in a rebuilt tranny for a 1991 town car; the tranny broke in just 5,000 miles. That's just my experience.

I just had the transmission flushed and the Lucas [censored] is out. It shifts a little rough, but no more shuttering. I guess I am back where I was before the Amsoil ATF and Lucas Transmission fix went in. LOL. Another Forester owner says these cars always shift on the rough side so no big deal on that. At least it is all clean in there after three oil drains/fills, one t-tech flush and two transmission filters (~$200 total).

Last edited:
Lucas trans additive works great had a s10 4x4 blaser that would not even hardly pull change fluid added lucas and it works just like she did on day one!

I'm just wondering if there is any difference between the trans fix and the regular lucas besides the coloring. I'm at wits end with my 9-5's tranny(I let the fluid go low) and it's slipping in 4th gear. I've run arx but I think I have gotten beyond arx on this one. I can't run any of the solvent flush type stuff since the tranny has a non-removeable screen. I was just wondering if thickening up the fluid was worth a shot with this stuff....

Originally Posted By: TLC3
Lucas trans additive works great had a s10 4x4 blaser that would not even hardly pull change fluid added lucas and it works just like she did on day one!

I'll bet the fresh fluid did more than the Lucas.

I added a bottle of Lucas with a fresh fluid change on my 97 Subaru Legacy with 185k miles. I had the same shudder mentioned before so I flushed it out, and replaced it with Amsoil ATF. Still shifts hard into second, but no more shudder.

Now, if I can only figure out how to get the tranny to shift properly into 3rd. She seems to downshift into 4th from 2nd for a full second or two before finally upshifting to 3rd. The subsequent shift from 3rd to 4th is perfect. It has not changed in the 20k miles I've owned the car, and gets better when the car has been run for a half hour or so. At at a loss really. Planning to change out the fluid again in another 10-15k miles or sooner if things change.

I had already tried the lubegard. Alas, trans issue is what led to me trading the 9-5 in on a minivan for the wife.... No sludge though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back