Chevy Cobalts and tires....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rpn453
..Do they sell Cooper Cobras? They're probably a little cheaper and I have nothing but good things to say about the set that I had. They were quite good in the snow for an all-season tire. Only a T-rated tire though.

Yes, all they had to offer in this size were the CS4's and Cobras. He did say the Cobras would be a better winter tire. For what ever reason the Cobras were a cpl dollars MORE per tire that the CS4. This is just a small shop. They sell nothing but Cooper, do nothing but tires and do take care of you. They've fixed many a flat for me at no cost regardless of the tire's origin. My complaint is not of the shop, just that I used to be able to outfit my 2001 Windstar with 4 new 14" Trendsetters for like $260 total! This was under 2yrs ago. I also recall buying some monster 265/75R16 Discoverers for $405 out the door. 'Course that was about 6yrs ago. I guess times (and prices) have changed with tires.

Joel

I wasn't trying to say that there was anything wrong with the shop, I was just saying that if you wanted cheaper tires, including tires as cheap as an inexpensive 14" tire, they could probably be found.

I remember buying BFG Premier IV tires in a 195/70R14 for my '87 Grand Am for $60 each, installed and balanced, almost 10 years ago. I was wearing out the front pair once a year due to fast driving and aggressive cornering. I wanted to shorten my gearing and improve my handling with a lower profile tire so I decided to buy a set of Cobras in a 195/60R14 for $85 (I didn't care bout wheelwell gaps on my rustbucket!). Compared to the bottom-of-the-line BFGs, they had better traction (wet, dry, or snow) and handling (the 2 ply sidewall was much stiffer), and way better treadlife. The size I chose forced me to spend an extra $100+tax for a better set of tires, but it turned out to be well worth it. The way I see it, if you want to go with a Cooper in that particular size, you're simply being forced into a slightly better tire than you may be used to purchasing.

If you drive on snow more than you drive at high speed in hot weather, I'd recommend the Cobras. They look like a retro tire with the raised white lettering on the website pic, but the other side of the tire actually looks pretty modern and sporty.

6 years out of the tire market is a lifetime in this economy.

http://www.wsbt.com/news/consumer/19353929.html

http://www.purchasing.com/article/CA6532003.html?industryid=48405&nid=2863

Oil is the major ingredient in the production of tires. Increased in oil prices means increase in the cost to make the tires, increase in the cost to heat or cool the plant where tires are made and lastly increase in the cost to ship the tires. The tire makers are increasing the price of the tires because of the increase in the price of the oil. Both gasoline and tire production affects the auto industry as the increase in the price in gasoline and tire production affects their profit margin.

Welcome to 2009!!!

I know the price of tires is hard to justify at times. However, the better (and maybe safer) handling and looks of bigger tires are worth it to me. But, do shop around. I think you'll find a decent tire for what you want to pay.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
.. do shop around. I think you'll find a decent tire for what you want to pay.

I never thought I'd want to go this route, but I've seen prices as low as $240 shipped to the door for a set of 4 on eBay and other online tire places. It's just a matter of finding a shop who will mount carry-ins for you. Dunno how that will go. Never done it before! I've always bought tires from local shops.

Joel

I say eat the $400 and go to the local shop you can trust. I'm sure the sale would be beneficial for them, the money stays in your community, and they're more likely to bend over backwards to take care of you if you have an issue down the road, as you say they already have. I've always felt better by looking out for the little guy in the sea of big distributors, especially in these times. Of course, you have to look out of your wallet too. Just my :2cents:

When I had my Focus which used the same size, I got four installed at Firestone for $300 OTD. They were the Affinity LH-30, H speed rated and were very quiet. Not sure if it still available, but they would probably have a current equivalent.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It's just a matter of finding a shop who will mount carry-ins for you. Dunno how that will go.

Plenty of shops will do that. For starters, look at the list of recommended installers on TireRack in your area. Most of these shops will mount carry-ins, regardless if you bought from TireRack or from somewhere else. After all, they still want your business, even if it's just labor.

The added benefit of using TireRack is that you can have the tires shipped directly to the shop, and then just go for install. So, you don't have to "carry-in" anything.

And as for leaving money in the community that the other poster mentioned, the shop is still getting paid for the labor, so they're getting a piece of it, too.

But buying online has its drawbacks sometimes, too. For example, TR has messed up my order on a few occasions. Sure, they've got great customer service, but it still sucks if you have to wait for them to ship out a replacement tire for whatever reason.

They do it for safety and performance of the vehicle.

16" wheels are used to fit larger brakes, that way you stop better.
You pay more for tires, but it's so you can have nice brakes :)

I have 195/70/14 on my '00 cavalier and 225/60/16 on my '03 impala. I wish the tire places would quit whining about speed ratings and *stuff* like that when (like you mentoned) one just wants a simple tire for a stripped down car. One place said close to $700 for the impala and $550+ for the cavalier.
crazy2.gif
mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back