BMW M3, what motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
Originally Posted By: ZeroDynamic

Yes, I'm going to be drivng this thing like it was meant to be driven! Most of the time, it would be my short 2 minute commute to work and back, so have a good oil that will protect my investment is key.

Well, that's going to kill it in a hurry.

If you're doing that, find something good, but cheap, and change it every 3k mi.

Nothing but short trips like that is no way to treat an "investment". You better not be driving it like it was meant to be driven with only 60 seconds of warm up. Take a bus, bicycle or walk if its 2 minutes.

Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon
Originally Posted By: ourfamo4
All 1996 and newer M motors should use a 10w60 recommended by BMW just to be safe.

The first U.S. market M engine to require 10-60 was the S62 in the 2000 E39 M5 and E52 Z8, followed by the S54 in the 2001 E46 M3, and Z3M models.

The S50US like the OP has, and S52 in the '96-99 M3 and '99-00 Z3M duo don't need to drink the fancy $10/qt oil. They can get by with any regular good quality oil.

Hey Craig, what I think I meant was, while I will have a short 2 minute commute, I will keep the rpms low until it has fully warmed up (which will not happen most days). When I get it nice and hot (some steady cruising rpms for 15-30 minutes) then I would like to flex its muscle.

Carmudgeon, you noted that I cold get by with any good quality regular oil. Would you have a suggestion perhaps? I'm really looking into that total 10w-50, but its 10.50 per liter!

Thanks,
Zero

Carmudgeon, you noted that I cold get by with any good quality regular oil. Would you have a suggestion perhaps? I'm really looking into that total 10w-50, but its 10.50 per liter

I'll echo the others who recommended M1 10W40HM or 15W50. In that climate, you don't really have to worry about the cold. However, with such a short commute, you could also go for a good 5W40. OTOH, those motors are known for lifter tick after sustained high RPM running, so you'll have to choose based on what kind of driving you do most.

I have a 95M3 with 67k on the clock. I was the person mentioned that uses the Amsoil 10w-40 in the car and drive it on the track with BMWCCA and PCA. The car is driven hard, but treated well I change the oil after about 15 track days and that is what my UOA is a result of. I highly recommend the amsoil as I have recently tried the M1 15w-50 still good oil, but the car doesn't seem to rev as freely.

rob

Quote:
The first U.S. market M engine to require 10-60 was the S62 in the 2000 E39 M5 and E52 Z8, followed by the S54 in the 2001 E46 M3, and Z3M models.

The S50US like the OP has, and S52 in the '96-99 M3 and '99-00 Z3M duo don't need to drink the fancy $10/qt oil. They can get by with any regular good quality oil.

I do apoigize, I thought the 10w60 recommendation was retro active back to the S52. I would then just used a quality 10w40 or 5w40 synthectic.

I'm still cutting my teeth on some of these BMW oil approvals.

FWIW BMW AG recommends the 10w60 on the ITB Euro S50. Gotta love US. spec motors....

Last edited:
while I will have a short 2 minute commute, I will keep the rpms low until it has fully warmed up (which will not happen most days). When I get it nice and hot (some steady cruising rpms for 15-30 minutes) then I would like to flex its muscle.

You will warm up your car for 15 to 30 minutes by steady cruising, then you will execute your two minute commute?
57.gif

I'm ready to change out the factory 10W60 in my Z4M, and make the switch to Motul 300V 5W40. I'll post UOA results after a few thousand miles.

As a BMW owner I'd select a suitable Group III basestock oil and do the high mileage Auto-Rx treatment (currently in rinse phase in mine). Has made a guge difference already. Not knowing which engine you have and as some M3's required a 10W60 I won't go there but definitely RX it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back