Wet clutch oil for ATVS

Status
Not open for further replies.
has any one used other brands of oil for the use in ATV's other than Honda 10w-40 honda oil. That stuff is high. I have looked at the Valvoline but can not find it at a local store

Last edited:
anything without the "energy conserving" on the bottle----

I have used 10w-40 diesel oil ----- with positive results.

I use Castrol Syntec 20W50 in my 400EX and Mobil 1 15W50 in my wife's 350 Rancher. They work great and hold up much better than 10W40 on hot days. In winter, I change the 400 to 5W50 Syntec

I plan on changing the oil in my Honda 300 fourtrax this weekend with Amsoil 0w40, it is intended for ATV's/Motorcycles that have a wet clutch.

In the past it never got much use during the winter so I used 15w40 diesel oil in it.

Originally Posted By: Rob_Roy
I plan on changing the oil in my Honda 300 fourtrax this weekend with Amsoil 0w40, it is intended for ATV's/Motorcycles that have a wet clutch.

In the past it never got much use during the winter so I used 15w40 diesel oil in it.

Use Amsoil 0w-40 ATV oil with confidence. Used it for a long time in my Brute Force 650 V-Twin from temps 0F - 95F.

I have used the Amsoil 0W-40 (AFF) in my Honda ATV's since came on the market. Have had in my 2006 Rincon since 5 hrs and used it in my 2001 & 2005 Ranchers. I have over 600 miles on the current fill and it has not gone down any. Over 1000 miles on the Rincon.

Many of my friends use it also.

I have used pretty much every brand in my stuff. Both car, diesel and bike oils. I had camshaft problems with the bike oils in a quad I had.

I switched it over to Rotella 15w-40 with some Valvoline synthetic oil treatment and never had any more cam problems.

Even with the oil treatment stuff I have never had any clutch issues with any oil I have ran.

Different oils do shift different though. The mobil-1 15w-50 was by far the worst where shifting is concerned. The Valvoline bike oil starts out shifting terrible but after 200 miles or so it shifts fine.

if u wanted to go with the manuals recommended specs, wally world sells the castrol version ("4 stroke motorcycle oil...for high reving...api- SG ")10w40, which i'm guessing is very similar to the honda stuff. I thought valvoline didn't have the "energy conserving" label, but they do now.

Use Amsoil 0w-40 ATV oil with confidence. Used it for a long time in my Brute Force 650 V-Twin from temps 0F - 95F. [/quote]

I used this oil in all my 1998 Honda atv's including our 2002 90 fourtrax. I didnt ride much at all this year, and my wife's 300ex used it all and there's nothing showing on the dipstick.

Any ideas why?

My 400ex loves the stuff, and the 90 didn't eat any oil at all (which usually eats it). But i can't figure out why the 300 did?
I have always used a synthetic blend 20w50 in them until this year.
What should i switch to? Or do i switch?

I now run Mobil 1 OW-40 in my Yamaha Wolverine. It is semi-auto and I've tried a number of oils and the thinner the oil the easier it is to engage reverse when cold, or even lukewarm. The oil is not "Energy Conserving."

I second the amsoil 0w-40 and the mobil 1 0w-40 (along with mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil) for Honda 4 wheelers. No problems with the clutches over many miles!

Rotella 15w40 in my 250X, and I'm putting in 5W40 next oil change. The weight is in the right range and rotella doesn't contain friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: nicholas
anything without the "energy conserving" on the bottle----

I have used 10w-40 diesel oil ----- with positive results.

+1 Rotella syn 5W-40 in ATVs and Goldwing. Got the idea off of a Honda Motorcycle site. No wet clutch issues

Hehe, I killed the infamous GC.

I have an LTR450 quad. With about 6 hours the oil was toasted. Dumped it, smelled burnt.

It also had my clutch in it :) . May have been the clutches that burned the oil, but... I've used GC before with no apparent issues.

But now I'm goign to be going bach to rotella 15w-40.

I have always run that in my RMZ450 without any issues.

Originally Posted By: Brien
Hehe, I killed the infamous GC.

I have an LTR450 quad. With about 6 hours the oil was toasted. Dumped it, smelled burnt.

It also had my clutch in it :) . May have been the clutches that burned the oil, but... I've used GC before with no apparent issues.

But now I'm goign to be going bach to rotella 15w-40.

I have always run that in my RMZ450 without any issues.

That's not good, I was gonna try GC in my '07 Raptor 700. I've ran it in my utility quad without issue, but that engine isn't stressed at all really. I'd guess you're pretty hard on then engine in your LTR; it's okay I'm hard on my Raptor too, the oil should darn well take it.

I'd 100% recommend Rotella 15w-40 for these engines.

I thought the GC was good until this happened.

Heck, it may not have been the oil's fault. May have been clutch slippage(wear) that caused the temperature to rise enough to render the oil useless.

But i'll be switching back to Rotella.

Last edited:
I put in Rotella T 0W40 (synthetic) this winter in my 01 Kingquad and it is working fine. It has an auto wet clutch and when used for plowing it sees many starts from a standstill while pushing snow, no slippage and smooth engagement. I'll probably switch to rotella 15W40 in the summer.
Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back