2021 CF MOTO CForce 600 recommendations - 1st ATV

Good morning all, been probably over a decade since posting, but still haven't lost the oil obsession over the years.

Recently purchased a 2021 CF Moto cforce 600, about 39 hours and 240 miles. The previous owner says all the 200mile service was done, but as an oil nut I always like to start with a fresh fluid change in all my vehicles.

So, I have never owned an ATV before. I had thought oil selection would be more straightforward, but of course the more I read, the more questions I have.

1st, I *believe* this is not a wet clutch, but of course I can't find where I read that. Is anyone familiar with these machines and can confirm?

2nd, oil recommendation. Manual says SAE 5/10/15w-40 depending on temps (I'm in upstate NY, don't plan to ride in winter).
-I was going to use a synth 10w40 auto oil (I also have rotella t4 15w40 on hand), however I see there are ATV and motorcycle oils also. Can anyone make a recommendation here?
-I know nothing about these wet and dry clutches. Assuming it is a dry clutch, is there reason to avoid oils that can be used in wet clutch applications?

plan to do diffs with valvoline 80w90 gear oil that I have on hand, all grease points with Lucas Red n tacky.

I appreciate any advice. ATVs are an entirely new world for me.

(My son also has a coleman 125cc quad, Tao engine, that the rotella 15-40 is in, if anyone has recommendation there. That is a wet clutch I believe)

Do you have to shift it or does it have a CVT transmission with a belt?

You don't have to worry about whether it's a wet or dry clutch then. Use any oil you prefer in 10W-40, if that's what it calls for.

I would use the T4 over the 10W40 auto oil. It is JASO MA2 wet clutch rated (which might not matter anyway). It will be a little more stout to use in the ATV. You will only need a couple quarts a year so price isn't that much of a factor unless you ride a lot. Amsoil and Lucas make a lot of powersport oils that are easy to get around here, but T4 will serve you well.

I'm in Northern NY and bought a 2021 Cforce 600 touring brand new, and am up to about 600 miles on it.
After break in, I went with Amsoil 10w40 ATV oil and put Amsoil 75w90 severe gear in both front and rear diffs.
I don't think I'd use regular automotive 10w40, as they often aren't the stoutest oils.
If you want an oil you can pick up at Walmart, I'd probably run Rotella t6 5w40 or their conventional 15w40 if winter cold starts aren't a concern.
Fyi, if oem oil filters are difficult to find in your area, it takes the same filter as many Can Am models.
Hiflo filtro brand HF-152
K&N KN-152

I'm in Northern NY and bought a 2021 Cforce 600 touring brand new, and am up to about 600 miles on it.
After break in, I went with Amsoil 10w40 ATV oil and put Amsoil 75w90 severe gear in both front and rear diffs.
I don't think I'd use regular automotive 10w40, as they often aren't the stoutest oils.
If you want an oil you can pick up at Walmart, I'd probably run Rotella t6 5w40 or their conventional 15w40 if winter cold starts aren't a concern.
Fyi, if oem oil filters are difficult to find in your area, it takes the same filter as many Can Am models.
Hiflo filtro brand HF-152
K&N KN-152
Thanks, I actually changed it today and went with the Rotella 5w-40, did the diffs too with valvoline 80w90. I was surprised at how the diff oil looked - quite dark, metallic sheen easily visible, glad I changed it. Also added in a UNI foam filter today as well. 295 miles and 49hours on mine.

Good to know about the Hi Flo. after much trepidation, I ended up going with a WIX 10090 - seems to cross reference with compatible filters, fit nicely. I was surprised there weren't more options for filters.

How do you like it? so far, I'm really enjoying it. Powerful, EXTREMELY comfortable, feels really solid.

I am also in NY. Schoharie county. Originally thinking I wasn't going to ride much in the winter, but who knows, enjoying it so much I might. Figured the 5w-40 keeps the option open.

Last edited:
Thanks, I actually changed it today and went with the Rotella 5w-40, did the diffs too with valvoline 80w90. I was surprised at how the diff oil looked - quite dark, metallic sheen easily visible, glad I changed it. Also added in a UNI foam filter today as well. 295 miles and 49hours on mine.

Good to know about the Hi Flo. after much trepidation, I ended up going with a WIX 10090 - seems to cross reference with compatible filters, fit nicely. I was surprised there weren't more options for filters.

How do you like it? so far, I'm really enjoying it. Powerful, EXTREMELY comfortable, feels really solid.

I am also in NY. Schoharie county. Originally thinking I wasn't going to ride much in the winter, but who knows, enjoying it so much I might. Figured the 5w-40 keeps the option open.
I'm loving my CF. Have had no issues with it. Comfortable if my wife or son want to go trail riding with me.

Has also come in handy for hauling firewood and for getting into the woods for deer hunting.

I would recommend the stage 1 clutch kit from Main Street Cycle.( If your riding style is similar to mine) It makes the clutch much more responsive to riding conditions. Lower rpms while cruising along the trails, but will still rev up and pull hard when you get on it.
I'm up in Watertown and ride the Tug Hill area and the Indian river trail system.

My two friends I ride with also have CFs and they seem great. I am glad you mentioned that clutch kit, I don't beat the machine, don't do mudding, but like long comfortable trail rides and was thinking of doing the stage 1, is it worth doing a new belt at the same time and keeping current one for a spare? I was wondering how difficult it would be to even change out on a trail if it popped one day

I'm loving my CF. Have had no issues with it. Comfortable if my wife or son want to go trail riding with me.

Has also come in handy for hauling firewood and for getting into the woods for deer hunting.

I would recommend the stage 1 clutch kit from Main Street Cycle.( If your riding style is similar to mine) It makes the clutch much more responsive to riding conditions. Lower rpms while cruising along the trails, but will still rev up and pull hard when you get on it.
I'm up in Watertown and ride the Tug Hill area and the Indian river trail system.
My two friends I ride with also have CFs and they seem great. I am glad you mentioned that clutch kit, I don't beat the machine, don't do mudding, but like long comfortable trail rides and was thinking of doing the stage 1, is it worth doing a new belt at the same time and keeping current one for a spare? I was wondering how difficult it would be to even change out on a trail if it popped one day

I'm in Oswego county NY and just bought my first ATV last week as well. I'm definitely going to be getting the Lewis County OHV permit for some of the tug hill trails. Haven't heard of the Indian river trails but would like some more info! I just don't want to do anything illegal.

I was considering a CF Moto. There's a weird discrepancy with that brand kind of like tankless water heaters; the people who have them think they are the best thing ever with no complaints and the folks who don't have one hate it.

I reused my belt as it still looked perfect. Have about 600 miles on mine.
To change the belt, you have to remove all the bolts to take the cover off, them thread a bolt into the secondary clutch to spread it open. Once the secondary is opened up, you will have enough slack in the belt to remove it.
I think the bolt size was m8 x1.25 about 3 inches long and threaded the whole length of the bolt.
I think Curren RV offers one with a t handle that would be nice for a trail side belt change.

I'm in Oswego county NY and just bought my first ATV last week as well. I'm definitely going to be getting the Lewis County OHV permit for some of the tug hill trails. Haven't heard of the Indian river trails but would like some more info! I just don't want to do anything illegal.

I was considering a CF Moto. There's a weird discrepancy with that brand kind of like tankless water heaters; the people who have them think they are the best thing ever with no complaints and the folks who don't have one hate it.
Indian river trail goes from Philadelphia NY to Redwood NY.
Most of the trail runs on old railroad bed.
It's a club members only trail, I think it's $20-30 a year to join the club.

Indian river trail goes from Philadelphia NY to Redwood NY.
Most of the trail runs on old railroad bed.
It's a club members only trail, I think it's $20-30 a year to join the club.
Looks like they're doing an open event (have to pay to register to ride) in October! Unfortunately, it's on a weekend that I'll be in PA with the Jeep.

With everything I have going on, I'm really not sure I'll have the time to even get mine out of the garage by then anyway.

I will be installing the MSC stage 1 this weekend. Curious how it will change the ride. Decided to keep the same belt, I'll give it a good look though while I'm in there.

As far as the discrepancy, I know. I was skeptical especially with it being a Chinese brand. From what I can tell, they were rather cheap quality until around 2017 or so but really improved around that time. You get a loaded machine for a really nice price, I think if you beat any machine you'll have problems. Has a very solid feel, ride quality excellent on the trails. I'm a fairly big guy at 6'4" and I'm very comfortable.

Throttle mapping is a little weird to get used to, lower torque at less than half throttle, past half way and it rips. I can only assume it was done for comfort and smoothness at low throttle.

I am really interested in those lewis county trails. I was considering a camping trip out that way to ride those trails. I'd like to find some very mild trails for my son to go along on his 125cc

Last edited:
The CFMOTO has a catalytic converter. So I would not use oil rated for diesel. It will clog the cat. Mfg recommend JASO MA, SL rated oil. That is what I use on mine.
Before catalytic converters were used on ATV, UTV, SxS I did use Rotella oil in past.

I would use the T4 over the 10W40 auto oil. It is JASO MA2 wet clutch rated (which might not matter anyway). It will be a little more stout to use in the ATV. You will only need a couple quarts a year so price isn't that much of a factor unless you ride a lot. Amsoil and Lucas make a lot of powersport oils that are easy to get around here, but T4 will serve you well.
Rotella is no longer JASO rated.

I contacted Shell, asked about using in vehicle with catalytic converters. Shell tech support said not to use with catalytic converter.

Back