which fluid for 4R100

Status
Not open for further replies.

ram

Ok I'm sure this has been beat to death but I'm still confused. Maybe there isn't a good answer.

My F250 has the 4R100 it calls for mercon. Mercon is no longer available by its self.

So you have

Dex III mercon

Mercon V which ford now is promoting. My owners manual says CAUTION DO NOT USE mercon V.

Maxlife which says dex mercon. Is this synthetic?

One does all fluids amsoil,schaeffer and now mobil. Instead of making a dozen fluids just make one and tell it covers all.

I was leaning toward maxlife, but I really don't know what to do .

Please help!

Last edited:
What year is your F250? Mine is an 06 and mine specifically calls for Mercon SP, "shudder proof". Not one other substitute.

But my tranny is the 5R10w, or something weird like that.

RL

I thought mercon V was back serviceable to mercon? Ford TSB?

Conoco Mercon V ATF

Description
Conoco MERCON®V ATF is a premium quality transmission fluid approved for use in passenger car and light truck automatic transmissions that require a Ford MERCON®V fluid.
It is formulated to provide improved antiwear and anti-shudder performance compared with previous generation products, as well as better low-temperature properties.
It is highly shear stable and has excellent oxidation resistance for long fluid life.
This fluid is back serviceable for 2006 and earlier model-year Ford vehicles except those that require a MERCON®SP or Type F fluid, and also may be used in most 2005 and earlier model-year GM automatic transmissions.

Applications
MERCON®V ATF is recommended for service fill in all automatic transmissions where a Ford MERCON®V fluid is specified, and in 2005 and earlier model-year Ford and GM automatic transmissions that do not require a MERCON®SP, Type F, Type T-IV, DEXRON®-VI or CVT fluid.
It also is recommended for use in heavy-duty automatic and powershift transmissions that require an Allison C-4 fluid, and in Voith DIWA and ZF Ecomat transmissions.

MERCON®V ATF meets or exceeds the requirements of:
Denison Hydraulics HF-0
Allison C-4
Ford MERCON®V
GM automatic transmissions (except those that require DEXRON®-VI)
Sundstrand hydrostatic transmissions
Vickers (Eaton) M-2950-S, I-286-S
Voith DIWA transmissions
ZF Ecomat transmissions

Features/Benefits
Proper frictional properties for smooth shifting and excellent anti-shudder performance
Excellent oxidation resistance and thermal stability for long fluid life
Protects against sludge and varnish formation
Protects against wear

Last edited:
GM tells us when they change the formulation in their ATF spec...we had Dexron-III through Dexron-III(H) versions. Ford does not tell us when they change the formulation of MerconV. Use the latest version of MerconV.

Or, get any of the many ATFs that are made to the last Mercon spec. They are named something like Dex-Mer or M/D or something like that. It'll say on the label that it is "recommended" for Mercon applications. Buy any brand name you trust and you'll get good stuff.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Buy any brand name you trust and you'll get good stuff.

crazy2.gif

Is mercon V the same fluid today that it was several years ago?

Owners manual and chilton sercice manual both say in big bold print *CAUTION DO NOT USE MERCON V*.

It just doesn't make good sense to me why ford during the period that they made both mercon & mercon V took the don't use mercon V stance, but after ford quit making mercon Mercon V all of a sudden becomes a miracle fluid thats approved for and better for mercon applications.

This is straight off jaspers web page.

Installation Instructions:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OEM specifies DEXRON III/MERCON fluid for this application. If this
fluid is not used, warranty will be void.

The oil-to-air (OTA) transmission cooler mounted in front of the
radiator cannot be properly flushed (ref. Ford TSB 99-7-4). When
replacing the transmission, the cooler must be replaced with a cooler
from Ford or warranty will be void.

Notes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Product summary: Unit is an electronically controlled 4 speed automatic with overdrive. The ID tag is located on the left rear corner of the case. The electrical connector is located on the right rear corner of the case. The electrical connector is located on the right rear corner of the case. Unit has 20 pan bolts. The case and bell housing are one piece. Without PTO Provision - ID by Tag off Transmission.
Assy/code: PRB-FG 1C3P-BB,BC 1C3Z-BCRM PRB-GE

Core Policies:
For full details of the Core Policies, click here, or call Jasper Engines & Transmissions at 1-800-827-7455.

I'm surprised that Jasper would say (Or imply) that Mercon V is wrong for that transmission. Mercon V is what Ford has called for to replace Mercon.

I'm convinced Mercon V would be the right fluid in it, but Amsoil is excellent anywhere a planetary gear automatic is used.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
A lot of what Ford, GM, Harley Davidson etc. say is based not on what is best or right for the customer. But what is best for their agenda.........

Exactly. What is best to fatten their wallets.

I bought the chevron MD3 today to put in the ford 4R100. I just don't feel right taking a chance with the mercon V approved fluids. Is there any doubt why the big 3 need a multi billion dollar bailout?

well my local chevron lubes dealer has SMOKEING pricing on the MD-3. so all my trucks are now getting that. I have 5 different company's within 30 miles of here that are bulk chevron lube dealers and this guy blew them all outta the water.

so far my 2000 F-350 has firmed up its shifts and reduced the Torque converter slipping with the new fluid VS the OLD Formulation Mobil 1 syn ATF with to many miles on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back