Valvoline Synpower 5w30 - VW 502.00 approved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait. SynPower 5w-30 meets VW 502 in it's Euro formulation. I discussed this with a Valvoline tech and we determined it was an error on VW's part to include a Euro oil with the list for USA customers as the American Formulation does not meet it. That list is a disaster, but I guess VW had to cater to oil companies that actually submitted to approval. That brings us the the MaxLife issue. iirc, ML Synth 30 weight carries the caveat "Recommended for Applications where A3 is Required" (or something like that). Oil Lawyer Double-Speak for "it kinda meets the visc recommendations of A3, and might pass other tests but we don't want to invest in you as a customer".
If you want A3/VW 502 cheap, I "recommend" the "approved" 10w-40 DuraBlend and 15w-40 Chevron Delo.

So, if a VW owner used an oil that was on VW's list (even if it was a VW typo) & had an oil-related engine failure, would VW stand behind their "VW approved oils" list?

Personally, I think the Synpower 5w30 would work just fine; I'm just wondering why VW won't fix that list. I have two copies of it, one dated 2003 & one dated 2004. The BOTH list Synpower 5w30 as 502.00 approved.
dunno.gif
Crazy VWOA

It'll work, but there might be better choices. I put it a 1.8t before. I also used Synpower 5w-40 in my V6 before I came to BitOG.

The only reason I asked is because a Wal-Mart near where I work has it cheap. I can't remember the exact $ amount, but it was the cheapest name-brand full synthetic 5w30 on their shelves.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
The only reason I asked is because a Wal-Mart near where I work has it cheap. I can't remember the exact $ amount, but it was the cheapest name-brand full synthetic 5w30 on their shelves.

No SynPower 5w-40 there?

Fred..
frown.gif

quote:

That brings us the the MaxLife issue. iirc, ML Synth 30 weight carries the caveat "Recommended for Applications where A3 is Required" (or something like that). Oil Lawyer Double-Speak for "it kinda meets the visc recommendations of A3, and might pass other tests but we don't want to invest in you as a customer".

The Valvoline Product Data Sheet for ML Synthetic 5W-30 is much more clear. It simply lists the oil as meeting ACEA A3-02 and 502.00 specs, and others.

Valvoline Synpower 5w30 has been on VW's 502.00 approved list long enough that it doesn't seem to be a typo. Valvoline Synpower 5w30 does NOT list the VW 502.00 approval on the bottle. What gives?

Valvoline's web page does not list the 502.00 rating either. They only list the 502.00 rating for the 20W-50 and 5W-40 oils in their SynPower line.

I would bet that this is simply a mistake on VWoA's part and the SynPower 5W-30 does not meet the requirements set forth by the VW 502.00 standards.

Wayne,

Rather than looking for the cheapest VW 502.00 rated oil, you should be looking for the best one. This will allow you to safely run change intervals signficantly longer than 5000 miles (supported by an occasional oil analysis).

My 2002 Audi TT w/ the 225 Hp engine is under warrranty (45k miles) and I'm running 10,000 mile change intervals and seeing excellent analysis results. That's with several different formulations you can buy ever day in Huntsville for $6.00/quart.
smile.gif

Tooslick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back