Air Compressor Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of narrowing down my air compressor selection, and looking for pros, cons, and experience.

Purchasing an 80 gallon Vertical, 2 stage, 5 HP 230Volt 1 phase unit.

I am looking at Quincy, Curtis, and Champion. All 3 units have dealers close to me, so parts and service are not a concern. I am looking for advice and feedback. The Curtis, and Champion have a 5 yr pro rated warranty, and the Quincy only a 1 year. Would like to hear input from this board as well.

Thanks in advance

Those are all high quality machines. Go with the best price or the dealer you like the best. I don't have a lot of faith in manufacturer warranties and wouldn't base my purchase on one.

Joel

I too have been looking at air compressors. I've decided to go with a 7.5 HP 1/60/230V which means that I'll need to run 8 AWG. Curtis is my 1st choice after IR (more $ for what?), Eaton (lots of website sales hype), and BelAire (their website has been down for 6 months now :no-no:). I haven't looked at Quincy & Champion yet.

Why a 2 stage, do you need that last 50 psi, getting away from after cooler? They don't produce hardly any more cfm. Couple things that you probably already know but don't pay attention to free air claims & always look at the airflow in acfm.

I assume Curtis CA series and the QT series from Quincy but which one from Champion? Some of the Champion units use reed valves & others use disc. Some units have a prorated compressor warranty (wonder why?).

What is your airflow target? Also, why did you choose vertical over horizontal? This is what I'm trying to decide right now.

I am looking at the Champion Advantage series. Champion is now made and owned by Gardner Denver. I have this unit at my current job since 92 (the compressor, not me) and no problems other than a few minor oil leaks. I heard that the Curtis CA series E-57 pump is Chinese made, and my Problem with the Quincy is the Alumn. Cylinder head. I still am topping the ranks with Champion and Quincy.

I like the 2 stage design for longevity, I havent had any trouble with 2 stage units. Our firehall just burnt up a very low hour Campbell Hausfield 1 stage, I was not impressed ever with this unit. Lots of water accumulation, When I say lots, I mean a gallon or more a week.

I selected Vertical tank for space reasons, same unit etc, just a space saving package.
I am not happy with the IR compressors any more.
The units I am looking at all have a 1725 RPM motor, and pump speeds under 900. The Champion have a "disc Style" valve with easy replacement.
Further with the Champion, the dealer who is selling them has sold compressors for over 90 years with a BIG i mean BIG name in my area. They have handled the product line for over 25 years.

Sure have learned alot in the last week. If I can offer any more advice or discussion, please post

Well, I wouldn't shy away from a 1 stage based upon CH experience. Most CH experiences will not be pleasant.

Why are you not happy with IR anymore?

The CA is supposed to be all made in USA. I'll check again as the local guy has a couple in stock.

In addition to the Al head on the Quincy, what about the two-piece connecting rod?

I believe the Champion brand uses "Swedish" steel for the valves whereas Quincy & Curtis use stainless steel.(?)

What is the dB(A) of the units you want? I would think that might be important if this is going in an enclosed area but less so if outside installation.

All splash lubrication & no pressure lubrication? Why not?

Compressor will be used for Body Work, and mechanical repairs. I restore and rebuild 7 or more vehicles a year. I have shyed away from pressure lube due to cost, with the prices or metal and freight its astronomical. I have also stayed with splash lube since my Grandpaps compressors lasted over 35 years doing the same thing i do, old Kellog pumps, saylor beal. Splash lube made it that long. As far as noise level, the Champion seems to be quieter than the IR's. I am going off of units I have heard and worked with. I am replacing and OLD IR 253, so I have faith in the them, just some of the new product lines dont impress me. I am in no way knocking anyones product line. I am going with 2 stage, Seems to be less moisture accumulation with them.

Benjamming,
Glad my lead was able to help you out. I found that info out from a reputable source, Glad you could confirm it. The Curtis Unit was appealing to me, with the exception of the China Market place.

Looks like Champion at the moment, Quincy trailing slightly behind. Any more info from anyone is appreciated.

do you run an refrigerated air dryer? you could buy a packaged unit.
I maintained 2 atlas copco rotary screw compressors and they were very reliable for running 24/5. they are quieter then piston compressors also.

No Air Dryer, Just have had single stage units in same location as my 2 stage, and the single stage had a tremendous amount of water in the tank weekly. If I had the cash I would go rotrary screw, by all comparasions I have not found the Champion very loud.

Well, After some hard research, and picking brains here is where I am at. Quincy, and Saylor-Beall. I am looking at the Quincy still, with the Cast Iron cylinder, not just a liner, I have some calls in regarding the Saylor-Beall, however I think they are a little more pricey than the rest. I have heard good and bad about champion, Guess when you spending that sum of money, you want something to last.

I really like the Saylor-Beall. I have done alot of reading, and actually have an old pump I am working on re-doing. If I get the money for a new unit it will be a Saylor-Beall. I like Quincy but everyone kept saying go pressure lube, instead of splash, just scared me. Saylor-Beall has kept a similiar design on their 705 pump for many years. I have found if you use thomas register and search saylor-beall and select your area you will find a few places, prices will vary. I have priced a 80gal verticle, 230 1 phase 5 HP unit called the VT235-80 roughly around 1850 depending on options.

So, you prefer the disc valves over reed? Why?

I was quoted as options $81 for low oil level that is interlocked with the $257 magnetic motor starter. Rubber vibration isolators wer $98 and the air cooled after cooler was $405.

I'll look around & see if anyone else carries Saylor-Beall to get another quote.

I have found some obscure pricing out there. I really like the rugged cast iron quality of the SB. I have found varying prices like you. I have seen the number for the vibration isolators, I just laughed, the mag starter is average although you can buy them and install yourself. I have thought about low oil system but not sure that my option was needed 122 was my price. Air cooled after cooler? Do you have alot of problems with moisture? The SB have a large cast iron cooler that they run through, its like a chamber actually. Instead of the 405 aftercooler, maybe a pneumatic tank drain that cycles each time the unit shuts down?

If I get a chance I will see if I can find a list of dealers for you and send you way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back