Oil pressure for 05 trailblazer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what the oil pump relief valve is set at on the GM inline 6 cyl. in the 05 Trailblazer? I am getting almost 80psi at 3000 rpm. It seems to me and the wife (the normal driver) that this is higher than it used to be. I have used 5w-30 since it was new, until the last oil change when I used Castrol Syntec 0w-30.

It's been awile since I've owned my '05, but that sounds about right. The dash gauges (for oil press) are pretty much useless though for an accurate on scale reading. FWIW, I ran 5w20 in my Atlas/Vortec 4.2L and the dash gauge behaved no differently than with the spec'd 5w30.

Joel

What is the pressure at idle in park with engine warm?

If the gage is giving you the wrong pressure it's probably the oil pressure switch.

I believe at hot idle oil pressure is about 40psi. I also was thinking of running 5w-20 since it is starting to cool off, and see if that makes any difference. I just changed the oil today, with cheap ST 5w-30 and filter, plus about 8 oz. Seafoam which I plan on running about 1000 miles before dumping.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Screw in a mechanical gauge to verify the dash gauge.

I agree. Remember the oil pressure gauge on the Trailblazer is not much more than a glorified idiot light. The oil pressure sending unit is a 3 way switch - it notifies the PCM of 0, 40 and 80 PSI. Any other changes that you see on the gauge while the engine is running is the PCM "guessing" what the oil pressure is.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=21429&highlight=oil+pressure
especially posts numbers 1 and 3

I wouldn't put 5/20 in a GM vehicle unless the manual specified it.

40 psi at warm idle seems high.

40 to 80 seems a bit high - especially since the pressure is getting higher!
The gauge is probably not NASA accurate, or the sending unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back