Optima Red top leaking????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Four year old leaking acid. corroding the battery tray bolts and starting to corrode under the battery on some brakets and a spot on the trans side pan. Dang I thought they were leak proof?

I am starting to think they are not that great. I see some info about that online as well. The number 1 one reason I buy them is I don't want to deal with terminal cleaning and corrosion of other body parts. What a let down.............

I am going to see if I can get some kind of warranty coverage. Or maybe look into Exide or another brand of AGM battery.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Exide?

I'm on my *third* Exide in 13 months...
I had an orbital that was great. It was 18 months old when I bought it(only one on the shelf) and it lasted 7 yrs after that.

There wet batteries are junk. The Orbital was made in Spain.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
From my experience Exide products suck big time.

+1 in my experience as well. I will only buy Johnson Control's batteries. Exide is widely known as being less than stellar.

The walmart batteries just got the number one recommendation in this months consumer reports, if that means anything..

I have had problems with exide's also guys.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The walmart batteries just got the number one recommendation in this months consumer reports, if that means anything.

It doesn't mean anything because Wal-Mart sells batteries made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on the region. (They sell Exide here).

Originally Posted By: brianl703
The walmart batteries just got the number one recommendation in this months consumer reports, if that means anything.

It doesn't mean anything because Wal-Mart sells batteries made by either Exide or Johnson Controls, depending on the region. (They sell Exide here).

I simply look at the top sticker and it'll say Johnson Controls right on there. That's what I have always done since I did away with using Exide products.

The CR article does mean something if they specified whether the battery was Exide or JC. Anyone know if the battery they reviewed was a JC?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Eddie
In my opinion, Optima batteries are over-rated and over priced.

After much research awhile back on the Optima batteries, they are best left on the shelf where you found them. Overhyped, overrated, overpriced, and underperforming. Lots of horror stories of people that have purchased these high priced batteries expecting high performance, but being let down.

My Optima (from my Mustang) was discharged, and subsequently was frozen solid all last winter. The FoMoCo battery in the townie died, I brought the Optima in, let it defrost and put it on trickle charge for three days. It's been in the Townie since, working like a champ. It's four years old.

I've had nothing but fantastic luck with them.

If they are leaking, this is typically a sign of it being over-charged and forcing acid out of the AGM material, and out through the vents. I would look at your charging system......

I go with Deka or Interstate. I can't see the advantage for me with an Optima when I can get 7 years+ from an OEM battery.

The walmart batteries just got the number one recommendation in this months consumer reports, if that means anything..

I have had problems with exide's also guys.

Yup, Exide's NAPA battery was rated #1 in the Group 65 size according to CR online.

FWIW, Optima's Red Top is rated #2 in the 34/78 size.

I think we've been over this before. The Exide battery that is made specifically for my car in OEM quality lasted well over six years. It was still fine when I swapped it out for a new Exide prophylactically earlier this year. I don't know about the quality of Exide batteries that are not made to OEM specs.

Oilboy:

I'd take this up with Optima. They're big on pitching their claimed superior quality. I'd think they'd want to preserve the rep.

And let's not forget to be fair here. I'm sure that living through an individual failure, even a relatively rare one, is a major pain and disappointment. But is it right to judge an entire brand by one failure?

This said, good luck with it, and I hope you get it worked out to where you're OK with the result.
cheers3.gif

I don't know who makes my Acura battery (I can't find a brand on it anywhere), but I /love/ it. It's started in well below zero, every single time with no effort. According to my car's records, the battery is 3 years old now. I'll be buying an OEM battery again when this one eventually dies. Not to mention I have a pretty decent stereo system in my car as well, and sometimes I like to turn it up pretty loud. I have a set of subs in the hatch with a generic amp, a Pioneer head unit, Pioneer front speakers and rear Audiobahn speakers. Whoever made the AC Delco battery in my mom's Malibu seems to be pretty good as well, she's still on her original battery and the car was made in '03. Still starts up perfectly, even in the coldest weather we've had.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
It is not leaking from the vents but near the side terminal.

They should have no problem replacing it for you then.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Yup, Exide's NAPA battery was rated #1 in the Group 65 size according to CR online.

And the Exide NAPA is what I've had three of in 13 months.

Ask me how much that #1 rating means to me right now...

When I went in for the third one, the store manager just about threw a fit. As far as I'm concerned, he had two choices, either to hand me another battery, or to hand me about 85% of my money back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back