What oil to run in 08 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: nuklhd
Thanks for the input from the folks that did so, the GOMER that only want to ask why I need to save $10 go stick your head in the sand!

The question is valid, it's not that I need to save $10 ding dong, the question is based off of the fact of weather or not over the life of the car it is worth $10, $20 etc. every oil change to go with a conventional or synthetic as well as the lasting effects. Maybe it;s the fact I want this car to last a long time since I shelled out all of that money?

I swear it seams like their is always someone who has some dumb a** comment that pertains to nothing because they have nothing better to do with their time!

BOTH questions are perfectly valid. With how good modern dino oil is, the car will live a long, happy life on a dino changed every 5k miles. Don't really need to pony up for syns. You're right.

But the other point is also valid, and YOU brought it up. You asked specifically if it was worth spending the extra $10 on synthetic. Well, let me ask you this - was it worth spending the extra money on a Lexus ES350, when a Camry would have done you just as well? Doesn't it make sense that if you have the extra money to buy a Lexus in the first place, you can afford the extra $10 per oil change for a synthetic?

OR, are you a typical NA consumer, and you way over-extended yourself by buying a Lexus because you had to 'look good', and now the extra $10 for synthetic is an amount you can't come up with?

You brought it up.....

Eloquently stated and an excellent point.

Any brand name dino SM/GF4 oil is good for 5k OCI, provided that most of the trips are more than 5 miles. I would looking for any oil, dino or synthetic, on sale at Kragen, Pep Boys ... If synthetic oils on sale for $0.99/qt (after rebate) then I will stock up enough for several OCI's. Similar for dino oils, if you can buy it on sale for $0.49/qt after rebate the stock up.

Originally Posted By: Liquid_Turbo
If you love your Lexus.. why not go Synthetic?

I love my corolla so I should go with synthetic?

If you're going to keep the car, go with Synthetic. You'll get better startup protection during the winter. Also, peace of mind that a 5K mile OCI is most definitely not a problem. Whereas with dino, even though dino these days are pretty good, 5K OCI might be a stretch, based on your driving habits and the engine..

Congrats on the new car (toy) and welcome to BITOG..

If you run a low viscosity, 0w-30 synthetic you can save enough on fuel to make up the price difference AND have the advantages of using a superior product.

That would be the smart thing to do....

I would run Synthetic.

Ofcourse any SM rated oil will work. Just like mcdonalds will work when your hungry.

even though the performance and protection gains are small, I still pay the extra cash.

Theres alot of oil out there and it is accepted that synthetic offers better performance and protection(small ammount) (pending on brand)

People have diffrent priorities, mine is the best for my car, not saving 20 bucks an oil change.

what ever oil you use, follow a good OCI and you will be fine.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
My father-in-law has an '07 IS250 and the manual specifically states that the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

Where are you getting that from??? My wife drives an 07 Avalon, which has the 3.5L version of the xGR V-6 (the IS-250 has a lower displacement version of the same GR series engines), and the manual for the same-year Avalon says nothing about discouraging the use of synthetic oil. Zero. Seeing your original comment, quoted above, I logged into Techinfo.Toyota.com, and checked all the on-line service pubs for the 07 IS-250, and there's absolutely NOTHING in the official pubs about not using synthetic oil. Please tell us precisely where that info is coming from. It may be good, and if it is, I need to tell the TIS folks to get their on-line data squared away. On the other hand, I've owned a number of recent model Toyotas, and I read all of their manuals (including that of my wife's Avalon, again same year, different version of the same engine), and I've seen no mention at all of such a restriction. If your info is correct, we need to see exactly where it fits.

I'll grab the glovebox manual from him next time I am in Austin....when he picked up the car, we read through it, and it was of fairly huge note in my mind that there was a line about recommending against synthetic oils. When he had his old '97 Accord V6, he picked up a few mpg and longer drains when he did road trips (kept detailed logs for work, as he claimed it as a company car), and we were both disappointed when we read it, and he has just been going to the dealer and getting dino to maintain the warranty.

If I'm wrong that would be awesome, but it sticks out in my mind that we both read it in the manual and were disappointed. Hopefully there was a reprint or addendum allowing for synthetics.

I believe the owner's manual says 0W-20 or 5W-20.
Recently, Toyota announced it is going to 0W-20 across the board:

In the July 1, 2008 Edition of Flashpoint, ILMA has announced that Toyota has officially decided to switch the recommendation on engine oil for certain vehicles from SAE 5W20 and SAE 5W30 to SAE 0W20.

ILMA reports that these changes will affect all Toyota brands, including Toyota, Scion and Lexus. The change will also appear in owner's manuals.

Please read more about this announcement here:
http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/...8-07-01/1.html

If you go with the 0W-20, it is likely synthetic anyway because it requires the use of Group III base oil which is considered "synthetic" in the USA.

Originally Posted By: skoh
I believe the owner's manual says 0W-20 or 5W-20.
Recently, Toyota announced it is going to 0W-20 across the board:

In the July 1, 2008 Edition of Flashpoint, ILMA has announced that Toyota has officially decided to switch the recommendation on engine oil for certain vehicles from SAE 5W20 and SAE 5W30 to SAE 0W20.

ILMA reports that these changes will affect all Toyota brands, including Toyota, Scion and Lexus. The change will also appear in owner's manuals.

Please read more about this announcement here:
http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/...8-07-01/1.html

If you go with the 0W-20, it is likely synthetic anyway because it requires the use of Group III base oil which is considered "synthetic" in the USA.

The link didn't work and I am interested in seeing this announcement. Could you repost or drop me a PM?

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: 3putter
Welcome to the board. You have a new Lexus and you are worrying about $10 ? Get real.
I was thinking the same thing.

Syn oil at the factory recommended oil change intervals will not buy you anything. No longer engine life better mpgs nothing. You will most likley get rid of the car with its engine running fine with dino oil.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Looks like you have to be a member to login.

http://newsmanager.commpartners.com/

frown.gif
Bummer. Thanks Johnny.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
My father-in-law has an '07 IS250 and the manual specifically states that the use of synthetic oil is not recommended.

Googling for "synthetic oil site:lexus.com" I found this:

Quote:

* Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals. Please refer to the Lexus Warranty and Services Guide for further information regarding the proper maintenance schedule for your specific vehicle. If synthetic oil is used after that time, it should be the same SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) weight specification and meet or exceed the API (American Petroleum Institute) grade specifications listed in the Owner's Manual. Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals. Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

Quote:
I asked Pabloa this question because I thought of running Amsoil, I think this will be out of my budget for now.

Come on Dude !!!! You bought a Lexus and you say you can't 'afford' Amsoil cause its out of your budget. I don't mean to be rude, but are kidding or serious ?
33.gif

Thats like asking if you should spend the extra money to buy Premium gasoline verses Regular gasoline for your Lexus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back