Is this a problem...Pictures of oil fill hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought 2 used Volvo XC70's to replace a dead Tahoe and another car we have. Both had clean history showing only one warranty claim between the 2 and several oil changes for each.
I forgot to check the oil before I bought and when I got home I found this:
2006 with 30,000 miles:
100_1446.jpg

And then I found this:
2004 with 45,000 miles on it:
100_1447.jpg

My stomach hit the floor!!!! Is this a really bad sign? Would Auto RX clean it up? Does this mean the engine is sludged up or been over heated?
The dip stick also looks like this:
100_1448.jpg

What do you think????? Both engines are turbos.

I believe I would go ahead and pull the valve cover at this point. Then you will have a better idea of what you are dealing with. Then, run two intervals of auto rx exactly by the directions. Pull the valve cover again and see where you are at. The car has been bought. Nothing much you can do other than deal with it at this point. Don't beat yourself up over not looking. Most of us have missed things similar to this before. I know I have.

Just do the Auto-Rx and keep checking progress using the filler cap. Why pull a valve cover as it will accomplish nothing but, if you have nothing better to do!!. You should check out the PVC system as this is typical of a plugged system. I think no major harm done here so just clean it up and enjoy the drive. JMO. Ed

I agree with Eddie.
Do Not take anything apart!!!!!!!
Why take it apart?
To accomplish what?

Man first thing you guys start talkin is what he should have done!!!!!

Change the oil. While I do think the 04 is dirty, I don't think it is terminal dirty.
Try AutoRx, or whatever engine cleanup stuff you want, it will help. But what will really help is regular oil changes.

Wife drives a Volvo, good, good engine.

Change the oil and filter and install Redline oil. You'll be pleasantly surprised at how effective that oil cleans up those deposits and how well it maintains that level of cleanliness. It will take a bit of time but you will be pleased with the results, plus the fact that Redline oils are about the best availble for turbo applications. Like Eddie says, change the PCV.

Nice pictures. Varnished up is OK as long as theres no sludge, I wonder if they changed the oil much or just toped off.

Just by looking, #1 a lot of highway miles, probably used a synthetic, probably Mobil 1 = clean. #2 a lot of city miles, probably used some form of conventional oil or a so called blend = some cooked varnish deposits.

Check PVC system and EGR on #2 and check the oil line for the turbo.

Did you buy both cars from the same place? Do you have any idea what kind of oil was used in either and what the OCI was? Those Volvo engines are tough as nails and anything short of not changing oil or letting it run out of oil, you won't hurt one in those amount of miles. ARX if you want, but I would use a good Group IV or Group V with a few short OCI after checking the PVC, EGR, and turbo oil line.

Great cars.

I would try A-Rx or possibly adding about a pint of MMO to the oil about 500 miles before you plan on changing the oil. I've had very good luck doing that over the years, but recently switched to A-Rx because of all the positive results members on this board had. Definately check the PCV system as mentioned.

I wouldn't panic or start pulling anything apart just yet. I bought a Caprice from my FIL and it was worse than that, it ran just fine. MMO cleaned it up (used as mentioned above) over a period of 3-4 OC's. I sold it because I wanted something better in wet weather and snow.

Frank D

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Just do the Auto-Rx and keep checking progress using the filler cap. Why pull a valve cover as it will accomplish nothing but, if you have nothing better to do!!.

You miss the point, we want pictures
LOL.gif

Quote:

You should check out the PVC system as this is typical of a plugged system. I think no major harm done here so just clean it up and enjoy the drive. JMO. Ed
Good advice.

Chris, wipe the dipstick off with some lacquer thinner or other strong solvent and you won't have that reminder every time you check the oil. Too long a run without changing oil can give that appearance too.

With only 45,000 miles on it, it's like you adopted an abused puppy, with the proper love and attention from you it should live a long and happy life.
11.gif

Chris B,

RELAX. It's quite salvageable without any aggressive action. DO NOT pull the "valve cover". You're pulling the top of the head assembly and it's a big job.

This is VERY common when dealer oil changes are done. That is what I was referring to in your earlier thread about the dealer service changes on the turbos. Many use bulk fill conventional at 7,500, which is not enough. If you complain, they're going to tell you they followed recommended interval by the book. They probably did. But Volvo's oil recommendations are too lax for the higher pressure turbos. It's not necessarily the dealer's fault. You caught the older one in time, but not by plenty.

ARX BOTH OF THEM. You should ARX the older, dirtier, one at least twice. Use RTS, which is a G-III HDEO, for the entire process on the dirtier one.

Go to FCP Groton and buy a box of Mahle filter cartridges (same as Volvo OEM) and a filter wrench.

Drive it through the ARX cycles, and everything will be fine.

Then switch to a diet of synthetic at 5,000 intervals on those engines, and they will live a very long time.

I'll probibly Auto Rx it for sure. I know nothing about what kind of oil Volvo's like. What would be a good choice to use......the dealer says they use Valvoline dino. There top mechanic say these leak using Synthetic.

The dirty one looks more normal.

Do the Auto-Rx cleaning. You'll like the result.

If the engines have turbochargers, use synthetic 5W-40 and Mahle oil filters for 5000 mile oil drain intervals after the Auto-Rx. You'll have good results with these cars for many years and many thousands of miles.

I'd also use Auto-Rx in the transmissions, then start a regular program of transmission fluid renewal, maybe a drain and refill every 15k. Is there a synthetic ATF suitable for those transmissions?...if so, you'll be smart to use that.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I don't think Auto-RX'ing the first engine is really necessary. I would just ARX the second one twice or thrice.

If it has been fed the same diet of weak conventionals at 7,500 OCIs, it's full of deposits too. It's just not as glaringly contaminated yet.

ARX them BOTH, now.

Then go over to a full syn at 5k oci.

If the OP is planning to do an ATX treatment, be aware that the later Volvo boxes must have a 3309 fluid in them.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
....the dealer says they use Valvoline dino. There top mechanic say these leak using Synthetic.

HA! Valvoline dino must be popular among dealers; that's what they pump around here, too.

Their mechanic is dead wrong. His engines speak the proof of that archaic thinking. Once you ARX them and clean all the seals nice and tidy, they will be fine on synthetic. Synthetic is much preferred for the turbos. You would be foolish to run a conventional in these for other than very modest intervals.

Remember, most dealers only want buyers to get through factory warranty with as little cost as possible. After that, you're making them very good money.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I'll probibly Auto Rx it for sure. I know nothing about what kind of oil Volvo's like. What would be a good choice to use......the dealer says they use Valvoline dino. There top mechanic say these leak using Synthetic.

Wrong oil for application and their top mechanic needs to go back to school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back