Question on Lucas Upper Cyl. Lubricant Fuel Add?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aren't we missing the whole picture when we focus on mpg and performance.
What about having a clean engine that is ideally lubricated and economics of longevity?

I would take 131 or Fp over Lucas any day...buying (4) more gallons of it today...

Originally Posted By: FrankP
Aren't we missing the whole picture when we focus on mpg and performance.
What about having a clean engine that is ideally lubricated and economics of longevity?

Yes you are right, unfortunately as UCL I can only take lucas here in Toronto, looking their others product I'm not very confidend.

Anyway the ratio that I use is much less than they suggest infact at that ratio I have loss of power in the engine.

Red line has an UCL inside too but I do not like use continuosly even at maintenance ratio becouse contains solvents and for sure the oil engine is effected.

I prefer use it just before oil changes.

Originally Posted By: Mephy
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: badtlc
It cleans .....

Proof?

Well there is a video with pictures on this web site, that is the only thing that make me think at moment that maybe is worted use it.

Sorry. Those pics are ZERO proof that it CLEANS anything.

Ah.... you meant this, in fact as maintenance lucas should be good it doesn't have solvents so give you peace of mind .

For clean the deposits you can use red line before oil change.

This is what I'm doing.

Originally Posted By: Mephy
Anyway this tank I did not put lucas I will post the result of the milage next week.

At moment there is no visible difference in the performance of car.

No difference in the milage too, I'm thinking to use a TC-W3 oil at same ratio end see how it works.

I used Lucas UCL for the first year after I purchased my new Civic LX in May 2007. I drove it off of the lot with 6 miles on the odometer. From my experience most four cylinder engines tend to idle a little rough, and my Civic's engine was no exception, but there was a marked improvement, however, when I added Lucas UCL to each tank of gasoline. The engine idled smoother and seemed to reach speed with less effort.

I then did a lot of reading about fuel additives. One thing is clear, Techron is well respected and its primary ingredient is Polyether Amine (PEA). Red Line SI-1 contains 30% to 50% PEA by volume as per its MSDS. SI-1 also contains a synthetic UCL, which quieted down my engine even more than the Lucas UCL did. Contrary to what others have posted, SI-1 is suited for continuous use and I do not believe that it contains any solvents. Some will argue that PEA is a solvent, others claim that it is a surfactant, but I am not a chemist. I use SI-1 at the recommended continuous treat rate of 1/3 ounce per gallon of gasoline, which works out to ~3.5 ounces per tank in my case.

I wish that a few of the mainstream fuel additive vendors, such as Lucas, Red Line, Amsoil, Gumout, MMO, FP Plus, RLI and Schaeffers would post before and after pictures of combustion chambers and valves from engines using fuel that had been treated with their respective additive product.

Other than marketing statements, I have had a difficult time locating real-world evidence, particularly photographic evidence, that one cleaner is better than another. This is strange when one considers how easy it is to locate pictures of components from disassembled engines that used Brand "X" engine oil.

It seems to me that fuel additive vendors would want to take the same approach and use high resolution color photographs to demonstrate the effectiveness of their additive products. Instead, I typically find low resolution black & white pictures that are grainy, small and lack detail. Take this thread for example, can one honestly say that pictures of glass tubes containing various amounts of carbon are an accurate gauge of how well Lucas UCL will perform in real world use?

Just my .02 cents...

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
can one honestly say that pictures of glass tubes containing various amounts of carbon are an accurate gauge of how well Lucas UCL will perform in real world use?

Just my .02 cents...

Infact for this reason I will stop to use it since I do not see any improvement in gas milage and the car goes great since I'm using Perol canada sysnthetic oil.

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
Planning on using it as anti-freeze?

Or just want to see if it separates.

My idea was to ascertain how quickly it gells up to possibly indicate what the base oil is like. If it turned to butter, as I expect it and the rest of Lucas' greasy slop product line would, it would tend to confirm it as nothing but bright stock.

Could it help as a top-oil, sure...but compared to real 2-cycle oil that passes a spec? Don't make me laugh. Would you trust it to run a 2-stroke engine on UCL? Well, then why use it in a 4-stroke?

Originally Posted By: Lyondellic
I used Lucas UCL for the first year after I purchased my new Civic LX in May 2007. I drove it off of the lot with 6 miles on the odometer. From my experience most four cylinder engines tend to idle a little rough, and my Civic's engine was no exception, but there was a marked improvement, however, when I added Lucas UCL to each tank of gasoline. The engine idled smoother and seemed to reach speed with less effort.

I then did a lot of reading about fuel additives. One thing is clear, Techron is well respected and its primary ingredient is Polyether Amine (PEA). Red Line SI-1 contains 30% to 50% PEA by volume as per its MSDS. SI-1 also contains a synthetic UCL, which quieted down my engine even more than the Lucas UCL did. Contrary to what others have posted, SI-1 is suited for continuous use and I do not believe that it contains any solvents. Some will argue that PEA is a solvent, others claim that it is a surfactant, but I am not a chemist. I use SI-1 at the recommended continuous treat rate of 1/3 ounce per gallon of gasoline, which works out to ~3.5 ounces per tank in my case.

I wish that a few of the mainstream fuel additive vendors, such as Lucas, Red Line, Amsoil, Gumout, MMO, FP Plus, RLI and Schaeffers would post before and after pictures of combustion chambers and valves from engines using fuel that had been treated with their respective additive product.

Other than marketing statements, I have had a difficult time locating real-world evidence, particularly photographic evidence, that one cleaner is better than another. This is strange when one considers how easy it is to locate pictures of components from disassembled engines that used Brand "X" engine oil.

It seems to me that fuel additive vendors would want to take the same approach and use high resolution color photographs to demonstrate the effectiveness of their additive products. Instead, I typically find low resolution black & white pictures that are grainy, small and lack detail. Take this thread for example, can one honestly say that pictures of glass tubes containing various amounts of carbon are an accurate gauge of how well Lucas UCL will perform in real world use?

Just my .02 cents...

We have used Lucas UCL in the last 4 vehicles we have owned with good results @ between 2.5 - 3 oz per 10 gallons of fuel. We carry the small bottle in the car refilled about 1 2/ full from a larger bottle to save money and when down 10 - 12 gallons, stop @ for fuel and add the Lucas before pumping so it gets mixed up good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back