QS 10w30 API SH rated oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, BITOGers, I hit the motherload at K-Mart this evening. I snagged myself a total of 25 quarts of QS 4X4 formula semi-synthetic 10w30 oil for...drumroll please......20 cents/qt. Yes, you read that right, 20 cents/qt.
shocked.gif
Unbelieveable!!!

But, I have a serious question. (5) qt's are API SH rated, with copyright dates of 1994 on the back of the bottles. The other 20 qt's are SJ rated. I want to use ALL this oil in my wife's '97 Expedition 4.6L. Is the API SH oil ok to use in this engine? The owners manual only says NOT to use SG, SF or earlier oils, so I assume SH is fine???

What say the BITOGers?

Use it, it's a good oil. If you want, put in 4 qts. of the SJ and one qt of the SH. Won't hurt a thing.

Thank I'm going to pay a visit to Alabama.
grin.gif

I see no problem whatsoever, unless Jeep has issued a TSB updating its oil requirements. Think of it this way -- you are using period-correct, or least nearly period-correct, motor oil!

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
But, I have a serious question. (5) qt's are API SH rated, with copyright dates of 1994 on the back of the bottles. The other 20 qt's are SJ rated. I want to use ALL this oil in my wife's '97 Expedition 4.6L. Is the API SH oil ok to use in this engine? The owners manual only says NOT to use SG, SF or earlier oils, so I assume SH is fine???

What say the BITOGers?

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:
I see no problem whatsoever, unless Jeep has issued a TSB updating its oil requirements. Think of it this way -- you are using period-correct, or least nearly period-correct, motor oil!

Where is Jeep in his post?

You need to have your eyes examined...quick!
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Use it, it's a good oil. If you want, put in 4 qts. of the SJ and one qt of the SH. Won't hurt a thing.

Coming from you, this gives me great confidence that I can at least double my stash (presently 126 quarts), since the shelf life is at least 10 years. And I do store it in a cellar that ranges 40 - 70 F. Ah, Johnny, I wonder if I should store the bottles on their sides?
gr_eek2.gif

UPDATE:

Below is a picture of the (3) varieties of QS 10w30 syn. blend from yesterday's 20 cents/qt. K-Mart score. Copyright dates on the back of bottles are as follows: Left-1994 Middle-1996 Right-1998. Are you guys sure these are ok to use in a '97 Ford 4.6L?

-

I think it is marginal. It may not be recommended.

A chart at the API site shows Service Category SH for 1996 and older engines.

SJ Recommended for 2001 and older vehicles, so OK there.

API Service Categories Chart

EDIT: Now I see that Johnny suggested mixing it with the SJ at 1:4. I wouldn't argue with that. But really, it's a dollar's worth . Give it to somebody with an older car.

[ February 24, 2005, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: dkcase ]

I would not worry very much about that silly API chart. What exactly changed about Ford engines from 1996 to 1997?

Also, the synthetic blend is likely to have passed it's then current spec tests with margin to spare.

I would use it an not loose even a little sleep over it!

John

I've decided to use the SH along with a qt. of mmo for a 1k mile "flush". Then, I'm going to drain & re-fill with the 1998 SJ.

With reguards to the clear bottle one have you noticed any residue at the bottom of the bottle? I'm asking as I had some of the high performance ones and it did have some white residue at the bottom which seemed to me like the additives were falling out of the base oil.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BIGJ552000:
With reguards to the clear bottle one have you noticed any residue at the bottom of the bottle? I'm asking as I had some of the high performance ones and it did have some white residue at the bottom which seemed to me like the additives were falling out of the base oil.
dunno.gif

Yes, there is some residue at the bottom of each clear bottle.....If it were all one clump, I'd say it would be the size of a pea, or smaller. It doesn't worry me, though.

I'm going to run all this QS for 3 mo./3k mile OCIs. If I keep it in any longer, I'll never get to use the 15 qt's. of Havoline Synthetic that I scored last week at AZ.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back