NEW spark plug vs. regap/sharpen OLD plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that after 30k miles old plugs will round out and the gap widen compare to new, and the surface is more porous and rough.

So if you cut a slot in the middle to create a sharp edge (like the NGK V power) and regap it, can you keep using the same plugs forever?

What else other than the tip wears out?

Those V-Powers are so cheap I don't know why they wouldn't get replaced every 30k or so. $8 for 6 plugs every 2 years isn't bad.

Probably you could, although is the time/effort to refurbish worth it compared to new...

Spark likes a nice sharp edge to jump across.
Dressing and filing to get this will reduce the voltage needed to jump the gap [as will getting the gap right].
Now you have more available reserve voltage for tough conditions.
But this is generally for steel tipped spark plugs.
Platinum or iridium don't wear, to my eye.

for $12-25 every 2-3 years I don't care to reuse them. I find it as enjoyable as filing and setting points every oil change, ooh wait a minute I don't enjoy that either!

Platinums do wear out... this was a hot topic, over on neons.org. Many questions about running platinums in a waste spark system. The comclusion, was to stay wih copper plugs, becuase those that did use platinums, dicovered after about 20,000 miles, the tips of the plugs were fouled bad, and/or had running problems when using them.
My brother in laws sister was staying with us before summer, so i did an oil change and spark plug change for her..97 ford taurus sedan. I discovered, they were motorcraft platinums, original plugs, had about 140,000 miles on them!
The ekectrodes on tips of plugs ( 6 of them) were completely gone! and covered in carbon. They were eroded away...

Darn, those "cheap" copper plugs turn out to be the best universal plug after all! Universal meaning fits and works best in the widest range of applications.

Of course, platinum from someone other than Bosch (can't use them in a waste-spark environment, that's straight from them) might work too...

Platinum last longer than copper, no question about it. Every time I change my copper plugs, it has an instant oomph in throttle response. To my surprised, that even at 70k, changing out Platinum plugs doesn't make much of a difference to the throttle response.

I have seen someone drill a hole through the outer and inner electrodes to create edge, what do people use for that? a small drill?

ziggy - You are dealing with a lot of misinformation!
Copper plugs refer to the core [for heat transmission], not the tips.
You can have coper core platinums, or any other combination.
The stock Ford plugs only had platinum of 1/2 of the spark plugs, because of the waste spark ignition. Replacement plugs have it on both, to eliminate putting a single tipped platinum in the wrong hole.
If anyone has problems with stock type platinum plugs, there are other issues.
It's NOT because the plugs are substandard.
Go back to your forum and try to straighten them out. You have your work cut out for you.

I replace my copper NGKs every year. Personally, If I am going to take the time to pull 'em, I just replace them. $8/yr for plugs is a great deal.

A brand new copper will perform better than a 6 month old platnium/irridium IMO.

to reduce the change of stripped threads, if I take out the spark plugs, I'm going to put new ones in there.

My favourite plugs are Beru Ultra-X. Go price a set of them and then tell me if you would clean and replace them.

It's a bad idea to regap an old plug, especially the newer long-life plugs. Apparently it's very easy to unintentionally damage the center electrode when you gap one of those platinum or iridium long-life plugs.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
It's a bad idea to regap an old plug, especially the newer long-life plugs. Apparently it's very easy to unintentionally damage the center electrode when you gap one of those platinum or iridium long-life plugs.

I wouldn't regap a platinum or iridium plug. Howerver majority of the Plat/IR plugs I've changed (hundreds a year) the gaps are well within spec even after years of service. If anything you'd only need to tap the grounding electrode which will never contact the fragile KV/center end of the electrode.

For the efforts in taking plugs out putting new ones in is a no brainer.

I'm suprised to see a subject on this matter in this day and age. New plugs costs pennies a day over a 20-30K mile interval.

Originally Posted By: alanu
The Critic said:
I'm suprised to see a subject on this matter in this day and age. New plugs costs pennies a day over a 20-30K mile interval.

If you're talking about copper plugs, then yes, it's pennies a day. Double platinum plugs, OTOH, can cost as much as $12 each. That's no small expense, especially if you have a v8.

Of course you can gap or regap a platinum or iridiium spark plug.
That is why there is a specification given for them.
I've done hundreds with no problems perceived or anticipated.
Why would there be??

Platinum plugs can (and should) be gapped if you know what you're doing. Basically, you grab the sides of the electrode with pliers to bend up as needed. Tap it to bend it down.

Don't assume all platinum plugs are at the proper gap out of the box. Damage can happen during shipping and handling.

Spark plugs are pretty cheap. I would just replace rather than regap. It costs me about $12 to swap out the 4 platinums in my 97 cavalier.

I would be more concerned with the wires, cap and rotor. Most don't swap out new wires until there is a problem. I swap out my wires every 2-3 years.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Spark likes a nice sharp edge to jump across.
Dressing and filing to get this will reduce the voltage needed to jump the gap [as will getting the gap right].
Now you have more available reserve voltage for tough conditions.
But this is generally for steel tipped spark plugs.
Platinum or iridium don't wear, to my eye.
Ditto! Electrodes that aren't sharp put demands on the ignition system, and I do believe that well eroded plugs can destroy coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back