GM Top End Cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
btw can you suck in carb spray cleaner via the vacuum hose (pcv) with no ill affect?? the reason why i ask is part curiosity and partly bc i cant take my intake tube off without the truck shutting off due to it having a MAF sensor.

GM Top Engine Cleaner is far and away much stronger than Sea Foam.

IIRC, Sea Foam is a detergent pack in a light oil. Top Engine Cleaner is a 100% VOC solvent. The MSDS lists "2-BUTOXYETHANOL, naptha, 4-METHYL-2-PENTANOL, 9-OCTADECENDIC ACID" as the components. I'm no chemical engineer, but that all sounds pretty nasty.

As others have said, you can pour it in just as you would Sea Foam or you can mix with gasoline and introduce via the fuel rail with a pressurized cleaning tool. Personally, I've done both with good results from each.

Also, I'd do an oil change after I completed the cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
GM Top Engine Cleaner is far and away much stronger than Sea Foam.

IIRC, Sea Foam is a detergent pack in a light oil. Top Engine Cleaner is a 100% VOC solvent. The MSDS lists "2-BUTOXYETHANOL, naptha, 4-METHYL-2-PENTANOL, 9-OCTADECENDIC ACID" as the components. I'm no chemical engineer, but that all sounds pretty nasty.

As others have said, you can pour it in just as you would Sea Foam or you can mix with gasoline and introduce via the fuel rail with a pressurized cleaning tool. Personally, I've done both with good results from each.

Also, I'd do an oil change after I completed the cleaning.

yeah i plan on changing the oil soon after.. the problem with this stuff is that i keep reading to suck it in via the pcv valve but at the end let it choke the motor off. doesnt this cause hydrolock??

I stopped by my local Chevy dealership this morning after pulling an all-nighter. Asked the parts guy for some Top End Cleaner. He goes, "Wow, a lot of people have been asking for this. We should order some."

Grrrrrrrrr.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
I stopped by my local Chevy dealership this morning after pulling an all-nighter. Asked the parts guy for some Top End Cleaner. He goes, "Wow, a lot of people have been asking for this. We should order some."

what kind of price did he quote ya?

He didn't even have that. He had a glossy GM catalog we looked through and it wasn't listed. I knew I should have brought the GM Part Number with me. I told him I'd bring the number back later this week.

Is it me or is this an example of customer service EVERYWHERE nowadays? People just do not have their bullfeces together anymore. The smallest thing becomes a freaking struggle.

Is it me or is this an example of customer service EVERYWHERE nowadays? People just do not have their bullfeces together anymore. The smallest thing becomes a freaking struggle.

No it is NOT you,i see it every where,,you go into a place and
try to get some help with buying a product or info and all you
get is a attitude like your bothering them,that just makes me
want to beat the [censored] outa them,,if it weren't for us you'd
have no job you [censored] hole!!!

with today's economy they should be rolling out the red carpet
for anybody that walks in the [censored] door..

Originally Posted By: daman

No it is NOT you,i see it every where,,you go into a place and
try to get some help with buying a product or info and all you
get is a attitude like your bothering them,that just makes me
want to beat the [censored] outa them,,if it weren't for us you'd
have no job you [censored] hole!!!

with today's economy they should be rolling out the red carpet
for anybody that walks in the [censored] door..

amen, preach it brotha!!

Quote:
the problem with this stuff is that i keep reading to suck it in via the pcv valve but at the end let it choke the motor off. doesnt this cause hydrolock??

If you're not careful about what you're doing, yes you could potentially hydrolock the engine. All you're looking to do is feed it a bit too much of the cleaner until it begins to spit and sputter. At that point, stop pouring and close the throttle. It should stall right out.

The idea is that you're giving the engine an extra bit of cleaner just before it dies. This lets unburned cleaner sit in the cylinder to soak.

Personally, I skip this step. I don't think it's necessary to do except on the most carboned up of engines. I don't like the process, since there is a chance of pouring too much in and hydrolocking the engine. I also don't like leaving the cleaner to sit in the cylinder and seep past the rings into the crankcase.

I haven't used this stuff in 35 years. Back then you just raised the idle and poured (slowly ..but not too slow)half the can into the carb until it started stifling the combustion process and stalled the engine (the instructions read: DON'T CONTINUE POURING AFTER THE ENGINE STALLS!!). You then waited 20 minutes and revved the engine up high and poured the other half of the can in there (it was a metal can that it came in). Lots of lighter smoke (not a thick fog). It decarbonized the heavily deposit laden pistons of the 60's cars that we treated in skewl.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
I haven't used this stuff in 35 years. Back then you just raised the idle and poured (slowly ..but not too slow)half the can into the carb until it started stifling the combustion process and stalled the engine (the instructions read: DON'T CONTINUE POURING AFTER THE ENGINE STALLS!!). You then waited 20 minutes and revved the engine up high and poured the other half of the can in there (it was a metal can that it came in). Lots of lighter smoke (not a thick fog). It decarbonized the heavily deposit laden pistons of the 60's cars that we treated in skewl.

thats kind of what i had in mind.. this is going to be my process.. via the pcv
pour half a can and allow the motor to sputter realy bad but manually cut off the motor myself and not allow it to choke .

wait a while then repeat but the last half will let it soak for a few hours...

then change the oil

try the stuff I have been using for 3 years. RLI bio-plus use it in EVERY fill up. it gets the chamber clean and keeps it clean.

You can also feed it thru the intake if you don't want to mess with a vac line. This is what I sometimes do because I like getting the intake clean near the butterfly. Of course, the best way I like to do it is the 4 step way. I first do a fuel injector cleaning at the rail. I use a can of 3M intake/injector cleaner attached to the fuel rail shrader valve, unplug the fuel pump relay and start the engine. Car runs on the can for about 10 minutes while your fuel injectors get squeaky clean. MUCH better than any in the tank cleaner can do. Than I spray the intake with intake cleaner and wipe down. Next I use either the GM stuff or seafoam thru a vac line and let it set a while. Lastly I dump a full bottle of Redline Si in the tank with a full tank of top tier gas. Can't do any better cleaning than this!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back