Which ATF For 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First timer - BITOG is an amazing site!

I would appreciate any recommendations for which ATF to use in a 2005 Nissan Altima 3.5SE with 67,000 miles. Looking to drain & replace the ATF sometime in the next few weekends and would prefer not to purchase the ATF from the dealer (cha ching $$$)...

Thanks in advance!

is this one with the CVT transmission? I drive a '03 maxima Auto and am very happy with the shifting using the M1 dextron syn.

Zoinks,
Although I only find the Mobil 1 Mercon V these days, I'am currently using Mobil 1 DexronIII/Mercon in my 04 Altima 2.5 S. It works great and took nearly 9 qts after draining(I let it drain for about an hour). Generation 2002-2006 Altima. Your 05 3.5 SE and my 04 2.4 S require the same fluids with the exception that your V6 engine requires 91 octane fuel and my 4 cyl is 87 octane. All other fluids are the same. I also used the Mobil 1 DexIII/Merc for my Power Steering Fluid and it too is fine. There are several Import ATF's on the market from Castrol, Valvoline and others that mention on their label that they can be used in D Matic, J Matic Nissan auto trannys. These Import ATF's are at a better price than the dealer ATF which from what I understand is nothing special. I haven't tried any of them as yet.

I really like the Amsoil ATF in my 02 Altima. I think it shifts smoother, rides better, and doesn't have as much "lag" as any other ATF's I have used. I would highly recommend it.

Max:

The wifey's 2005 Altima 3.5SE is a 4-speed auto, not the CVT (don't think the CVT was an option for that modely year and platform). I've had several good experiences using Mobil ATF in other vehicles. Thanks!

Char Baby & Cooper:

Thank you for the quick feedback! I'm leaning toward using the Mobil Dex-III/Mercon (IF I can find it). Need to compare prices and check availability (sounds like Mercon V is easy to find but Mercon isn't). Otherwise, Amsoil it is. A small investment to make to keep wifey happy
wink.gif

Thanks again, everyone...

I've got Castrol Import ATF in Dad's 02 Maxima with 4 speed. It seems to shift fine and this fluid is widely available for under $4 a quart. A pan drop only got out about a gallon, which is only half.

Originally Posted By: zoinksjaguar
Max:

I'm leaning toward using the Mobil Dex-III/Mercon (IF I can find it).

Mobil or Mobil1 Dexron/Mercon won't cut it. It will shudder sooner of later since the FM levels don't match the JASO spec. I tried it and that is why I know for sure, regular Dexron/Mercon won't hold up (even syn Mobil1).

You are better off with Castrol Import MV ATF, I have it on my maxima and very happy (the previous MerconV soup too held up pretty well).

Zoinks,

Check out the back of the new Mobil1 Mercon V ATF bottle, it states that it is Dexron III compatible. I've been using both the old Mobil1 DexronIII/MerconV ATF and the new Mobil1 Mercon ATF in my 2002 Maxima. No problems in 70k miles with 20k mile ATF changes.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Other_Products/Mobil_1_Synthetic_ATF.aspx

Quote:
Dexron III, Dexron IIIE, Dexron III-H

Mercon, Mercon V

Recommended for Allison C-4 and Caterpillar TO-2 applications

Recommended for Chrysler automatic transmissions

Last edited:
Folks,
It will be 2 years this JULY on the Mobil 1 DexIII/Merc in my 04 Altima 2.5 S auto and running just fine. I may or may not try the Castrol Import MV ATF next year or I may just stay with the Mobil 1(Mercon V).

I'm using Mobil 1 ATF in my Maxima.

Let us know what you've decided on and if there is any difference in driveability.

THANKS ALL! I really appreciate the feedback.

This weekend, I'm going to compare prices on the Mercon V and Castrol Import MV ATF's. I am also considering the Amsoil which sounds like a great ATF w/ excellent reviews but costs considerably more. With gas at $4/gallon, we're trying to s-t-r-e-t-c-h every dollar -- would hate to have to tap into the beer fund
wink.gif

Will report back on the ATF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back