Amsoil 5w30HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have much experience with Amsoil's 5w30 diesel oil?? With fuel prices where there at I thought it might be worthwhile to try. I searched but no avail,having the word amsoil in brings all amsoil posts and just 5w30HDD brings all 5w30 posts.

I know Arkapigdiesel is trying it but has anybody used it for some period of time?

What was the previous grade oil that you were using? I was wondering if it held up well in a diesel that spec's a 40wt?

There is a few older UOA's in a cummins that I have seen. I think D-ROC might have ran it before. If and when I step down to a 30wt oil I would use the ACD 10w30. I feel better using it over the 1/4 more in price HDD. I still have a hard time comprehending putting a 30wt in my diesel. I have used the ACD for makeup oil with my Frantz filter quite a bit though.

In winter time I would have no problems running it, but summertime heat and towing just screams abnormal wear to me.

Last edited:
I ran it for a short time, then drained it. But at some point I may try it again. I feel the same as Harley... a little worried about 30 weight in my Cummins. It's a thicker 30, but if I run it again I will monitor with UOA.

I used it for 5 years and 40,000 miles with no change, UOA are posted here on bitog.
I was getting 20mpg with my diesel truck, an improvement from 12-15mpg I was getting using a more popular brand.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I know Arkapigdiesel is trying it but has anybody used it for some period of time?

I decided against it after more thought and consideration. I'm running 10W-30 Rotella CJ-4. My oil stays clean due to bypass filtration, so I figured I'd run a dino and sample every 5K or so. If my TBN dips low, I'll drop a quart or so out of my sump via the Fumoto and top back off with fresh. I don't see where a syn is really all that advantageous in my situation.

Originally Posted By: lazaro
I used it for 5 years and 40,000 miles with no change, UOA are posted here on bitog.
I was getting 20mpg with my diesel truck, an improvement from 12-15mpg I was getting using a more popular brand.
Doubt it.

Originally Posted By: Arkapigdiesel

I decided against it after more thought and consideration. I'm running 10W-30 Rotella CJ-4. My oil stays clean due to bypass filtration, so I figured I'd run a dino and sample every 5K or so. If my TBN dips low, I'll drop a quart or so out of my sump via the Fumoto and top back off with fresh. I don't see where a syn is really all that advantageous in my situation.

Interesting,please share as I'm sure you will your results.
11.gif

Bull corn

Bull corn

Yeah I think he's a bit jaded when it comes to Amsoil...

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Bambam, what makes you think that?

I went to Dr Phils college of psychiatry.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Doubt it.

5 years without any sample, total blind faith until I sent this one oil sample out...
crackmeup2.gif
http://www.voogru.com/images/oil2.jpg
13.gif

Bull corn

jaded or honest you decide...

Bull corn

jaded or honest you decide...

Honestly I couldn't read that at all!!

I'm interested in the 5W30 (HDD) as well. This would be for a 2003 Duramax that was running AME 15W40.
Here is the thread for it with UOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...166#Post1028166

Wondering everyone's thought on the 30 weight. Like everyone else I am a little hesitant to run this in the summer while pulling loads. This is actually my father's truck. He does pull a 33' 5th wheel over the Colorado passes. Air temps might not be in triple digits, but this works the engine and turbo out.
He doesn't tow full time with this truck. I was thinking this oil would yeild him some better economy as well. Just wondering if it can take abuse.

Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back