2006 Honda Pilot 2WD - Results with Amsoil ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some History:
I performed the first drain/fill on my wife's 2006 Pilot at 27,000 miles in March 2007. At that time, I opted to use Honda Z1 ATF. The factory fill ATF was dark and there was a lot of metal sludge on the magnetic drain plug, so I began to look for a more robust ATF to use the next time. I also decided to perform an ATF drain/fill every other oil change, which works out to ~10,000 miles. After careful consideration, and much research on BITOG, I decided to use Amsoil ATF.

Fast Forward to April 2008:
Since the last ATF drain/fill in March 2007, I had started to get concerned about how rough the transmission was sounding. The switch from 1st to 2nd gear sounded especially ragged until the transmission reached operating temperature. All in all, I felt that things should be smoother, less noisy.

5/24/2008:
At 37,500 miles, my wife's Pilot was due for an oil change. This was the 2nd engine oil change since the last ATF drain/fill, so I knew that it was also time to perform an ATF drain/fill. For engine oil, I opted to use to Amsoil 0W-20 with a Wix 51356 filter. I have always used either Mobil 1 or PP 5W-20, but wanted something more robust. My wife's does a lot of short trip driving and the heat of the Texas Summer is rough on an engine. The 2006 Pilot LX 2WD has a total ATF fill of 8.9 quarts. Once again the Honda Z1 ATF was dark and there was a lot of metal on the magnetic drain plug. One ATF drain/fill takes 4 quarts, and 4 ounces, so the mix now stands at 46% Amsoil ATF and 54% Honda Z1 ATF.

Results:
The engine runs smoother and makes less noise, both at idle and at speed. The transmission is less noisy as well. Shift quality has definitely improved, especially during the transition from 1st to 2nd gear when the transmission is cold. I had been concerned about using anything other than Honda Z1 ATF, but I now feel that the Amsoil ATF is a better fluid. At this point, I am planning to perform an ATF drain/fill during each of the next 2-3 oil changes to get the Amsoil ATF up to the recommended 90%+ concentration. If I get bored, I may end up performing ATF drain/fills using a more aggressive schedule.

Stay tuned...

Last edited:
I think you are right on to use Amsoil ATF in the Pilot. However multiple drain & refills with expensive synthetic ATF is not a cost effective way to get to a high percentage of Amsoil ATF. You are better off going for a cooling line flush done yourself.

ALso consider a magnefine filter.

The product sells itself in many cases. Just look at the SSO thread. Glad to see you are having good results from it.

I agree that the most efficient method would be to replace all of the ATF using the ATF cooler return line method. There are a few reasons, however, that I prefer to us the drain/fill method.

First, I want to see if the amount of material on the magnetic drain plug increases/decreases between each drain/fill.

Second, I would like to stagger the conversion to Amsoil ATF over 3-4 drain/fill operations to observe the impact on shift quality. In short, if the improvement in shift quality continues after each drain/fill, then I will feel better about performing the next drain/fill until I reach a 90%+ concentration of Amsoil ATF.

Finally, I do not want to disconnect, or cut, any hoses. This is my wife's daily driver and she is already critical of my obsession with changing engine oil & ATF. I would be called to task if I asked her to help me stop/start the engine while I purged ATF into a container.

One last thing to mention for those of you with Honda vehicles. Honda strongly recommends against using ATF flush machines. Honda advocates performing a 3X drain/fill operation as per another post.

Last edited:
Just an FYI honda states this because some flushes us a solvent and not just ATF. Most Honda tansmissions utilize an internal filter and the solvents can break debris free and clog this terrible attempt at a transmission filter. When you perform a cooler line flush, you are merely evacuating all of the old ATF and replacing it with new. Your method is fine, although you are going to waste more fluid and it will take longer to achieve a 90% or so concentration of Amsoil ATF. Honda transmissions need all the help they can get. I agree with Donald, a magnefine would be a very good idea here.

Another option is to do a drain and refill of the pan as a first step of a cooling line flush. Its probably the best way as you start with 100% new ATF in the pan and then pump out some old and add some new. There is no mixing in the pan of old and new ATF. I understand the concern that its her daily car. However not doing a drain and refill properly can also screw things up.

I do not understand why Honda would not want a flush unless has not been serviced in something like 100K miles and then you introduce all new fluid which starts to clean things up and may clog the filter.

A flush of a tranny in good shape should never cause a problem.

I also agree to avoid any cleaner or conditioner during the flush. They are just add-ons you get changed for.

A flush should really be called a "machine assisted replacent of ATF"

Originally Posted By: AzFireGuy79
Just an FYI honda states this because some flushes us a solvent and not just ATF. Most Honda tansmissions utilize an internal filter and the solvents can break debris free and clog this terrible attempt at a transmission filter...

The 5spd auto in the 2006 Pilot does have a return line cartride filter that's serviceable from outside the unit.

Joel

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back