Mobile 1 EP 15W-50 VS. Pennzoil Platinum 15W-50

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a performance application on a Chevy 383 what oil would be better?Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 or Pennzoil Platinum 15W-50. The car does not see a lot of miles but is driven hard and sees some good revs.

I would use Mobil 1 15W-50 its available just about anywhere so in case you need to top it off. How about using the regular Mobil 1 15W-50 non EP since you don't do a lot of miles on that car. I've never seen the Pennzoil Platinum 15W-50 anywhere before.

Nice car by the way, engine sounds cool. What oil you running on it right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
The EP lineup in Mobil 1 is a joke. Get the non-EP Mobil 1 15W-50 or PP 15W-50. There is very little UOA data on these oils that I've seen. Pick one and try it. Then decide later if you want to try the other.

Thanks for the web look!!

Under your rocker covers is that a special coating or some kind of paint??

And do you trust it to stay intact?

Originally Posted By: 321

It is a $7 can of duplicolor engine enamel that is good to 1200 degrees. If it gets that hot I can say good bye to my forged aluminum pistons anyway. Been using that stuff for a while and it holds up great. It provides a slick surface for the oil to drain back the sump quicker. Lots of custom engine builders use this trick.

Yeah,if you go M1,definitely get the 15W50 silver cap and not the Extended Performance. Silver cap 15W50 is supposed to be a PAO/ester base oil.

Originally Posted By: emperor91108
Originally Posted By: 321

It is a $7 can of duplicolor engine enamel that is good to 1200 degrees. If it gets that hot I can say good bye to my forged aluminum pistons anyway. Been using that stuff for a while and it holds up great. It provides a slick surface for the oil to drain back the sump quicker. Lots of custom engine builders use this trick.

Glyptal is what we used on the J-79 jet engine that was in the F-4 Phantom jet fighter. It was used back in the turbine section bearing area as a gasket sealer. I have read that several engine builders use it to paint the inside of their engines for better oil flow. Remember the the better the flow then better heat transfer. I look at it like this, if Glyptal is good enough to go inside a jet engine especially the hot section as well as in the oil bearing area then it will hold up to our simple automotive engines. 7808 jet engine oil will do a good job of cleaning out our automotive engines as well as all the seals and such and the Glyptal held up fine against all that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back