For the first time I am pouring Mobil 1 into my engine

I know there are die hard fans for Mobil 1 and they have their reasons. I thought I might be open minded and finally pour it into the engine to see how it stacks against Pennzoil Ultra Platinum. I found in Walmart the "Extended Peformance" version with the almighty triple action plus formula. Surely oil tests will be forthcoming!

20230601_121717.jpg

I did use Mobil Delvac...but that is a different department. :)

When I first started with the Ecoboost engine in 2018 I noticed the Mobil 1 5W30 UOAs not coming back as I liked. In fact most oils were really sheared to 5W20 in the Ecoboost. So I went to Mobil Delvac 5W40 ESP and it worked great in the Ecoboost. Gas prices started rising and API SP came out so I then started using the off the shelf Walmart API SP oils versus getting a batch of Delvac from Summit Racing. The results were much better then in 2018 with API SN oils. So now Im trying to decide which one is best for the Ecoboost. Just finished with Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W30.

I know my Ecoboost and its ability to shear/dilute the oil. So I just do 3000 mile changes and do it in my driveway. I cant imagine what the oil would be at 10k miles. Sheared and diluted...

If you really looking for a "Heavy Duty" oil for your gas engine Delvac cannot be beat. Maybe you got a 250+/2500+ pickup you really put to work and tow a lot. Delvac will work. There is a Quaker State Euro 5W40 API SP if you want to go thicker.

Last edited:
When I first started with the Ecoboost engine in 2018 I noticed the Mobil 1 5W30 UOAs not coming back as I liked. In fact most oils were really sheared to 5W20 in the Ecoboost. So I went to Mobil Delvac 5W40 ESP and it worked great in the Ecoboost. Gas prices started rising and API SP came out so I then started using the off the shelf Walmart API SP oils versus getting a batch of Delvac from Summit Racing. The results were much better then in 2018 with API SN oils. So now Im trying to decide which one is best for the Ecoboost. Just finished with Quaker State Ultimate Protection 5W30.

I know my Ecoboost and its ability to shear/dilute the oil. So I just do 3000 mile changes and do it in my driveway. I cant imagine what the oil would be at 10k miles. Sheared and diluted...

If you really looking for a "Heavy Duty" oil for your gas engine Delvac cannot be beat. Maybe you got a 250+/2500+ pickup you really put to work and tow a lot. Delvac will work. There is a Quaker State Euro 5W40 API SP if you want to go thicker.
The Quaker State Euro 5W40 API SP is rated at ACEA A3/B4 and MB 229.51, and it's only $22.97 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart.
So even if it sheers / gets diluted in the EcoBoost engine, in the worst case it will thin out to a 30 grade, which still would offer high HTHS.
That would be the oil I would use if I owned a Ford with a Ecoboost engine.

Its been said here and in other forums that Mobil 1 makes your engine quieter. While I do not have a sound meter to measure this assertion I can tell you my personal perception is the engine does run quieter and it does seem smooth. I know Mercedes Benz suggests Mobil 1 and maybe this is one reason they do.

Back