HELP (Honda Coolant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a search and came up with nothing,
I just purchase a certified 2004 Honda accord V6 with 20k miles
from a local honda dealer...I need to top off the coolant on this car, can I use prestone all makes and model?...The current coolant color is green and I called honda parts dept, they said that thier coolant color is blue..what can I use the to top off???thanks

It sounds to me as if the cooling system was drained and refilled with green ethylene glycol. You can probably top off with Prestone all-makes...if you are in Nevada and really worried, I would just top off with distilled water because you don't have to worry too much about freeze protection.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
It sounds to me as if the cooling system was drained and refilled with green ethylene glycol. You can probably top off with Prestone all-makes...if you are in Nevada and really worried, I would just top off with distilled water because you don't have to worry too much about freeze protection.

Obviously you have never been to Reno, or colder still, Truckee. There is a LOT of cold in Nevada

I know it gets cold but I don't think the difference between -37 freeze protection at 50/50, and adding a pint of water to make it 45/55 and bring the freeze protection to -30 is going to hurt him all that bad.

No water there, it gets hot during the day but during the night boy does that heat disappear fast.

Last edited:
The factory fill is green, but service fill is blue. Later models also have blue colored Type II has factory fill.

Since it's certified, take it back to the dealer and have them take care of it.

I would only run the Honda Coolant in there b/c if something fails, they could very well blame it on the coolant.

Unless it came off liek that from teh lot/certified, I wouldn't take it to the dealership to change it,just in case they note it, something fails in the future and then blame you for it.

Honda Coolant is very particular. They've spent years figuring out exactly what ratios of chemicals to run.

IMHO, the Prestone "All Makes n Models" solutions must have made some trade-offs when you consider the vast amount of different car engines there are..

wow, a 20k honda needs a coolant top up? Are you sure nothing is wrong?

Buy the dealer fluid. It is the best thing for your car. In fact, flush it with dealer fluid to make sure it is correct, and then keep with that. It is your best choice for the intended protection.

JMH

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Buy the dealer fluid. It is the best thing for your car. In fact, flush it with dealer fluid to make sure it is correct, and then keep with that. It is your best choice for the intended protection.

I agree with JHZR2. Just did a coolant drain and fill on my 06 Accord with Honda coolant. It was $12.96 a gallon and took 1.25 gallons to top her off.

Originally Posted By: mike_kellog
I would only run the Honda Coolant in there b/c if something fails, they could very well blame it on the coolant.

Unless it came off liek that from teh lot/certified, I wouldn't take it to the dealership to change it,just in case they note it, something fails in the future and then blame you for it.

Honda Coolant is very particular. They've spent years figuring out exactly what ratios of chemicals to run.

IMHO, the Prestone "All Makes n Models" solutions must have made some trade-offs when you consider the vast amount of different car engines there are..

I went to the Honda dealer to have my antifreeze changed. For what seems like years, they have been telling me that you should only use the Honda fluid. I put it off for another day because they ran out of the blue genuine Honda stuff and were using Prestone antifreeze!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back