2 stroke mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.

nj3

My brother-in-law (no joke, it wasn't me) accidentally put regular gas (not mixed) in a 2 stroke outboard, and then drove it briefly (about 30 minutes of motoring). Thankfully, the engine apparently didn't lock-up, because he docked it later without even realizing his mistake. I thought that I heard a strange noise or two come from the engine while it was running at around 3000 rpm, but otherwise it seemed fine. He didn't realize his mistake until later that night, and then we siphoned out the gas, mixed it appropriately, and then refilled the tank. My question is, is it likely that any damage was done? I figured that if the engine didn't lock up then we most likely got very lucky. Is there anything that I should be worried about?

OOPS! Could have had enough residual oils to save his bacon.

Quote:

Is there anything that I should be worried about?

I thought it was your B-I-L's engine.
grin.gif

Seriously - just oil up the gas and go. I have no secret treatment - it's a "what are ya gonna do?" situation.

30 minutes is too long without oil.
Two strokes are tough.
I've seen the cylinders scored pretty bad and they still run.
I would be most worried about the crankshaft.

If you still hear noise or experience a bad idle, you may want to tear it down before it gets too expensive. Or if it dosn't owe you anything, run it till it dies.

One must cross one's fingers and slightly up oil to gas mix...been there on a two -stroke dirtbike with oil injection...oil injector failed...piston needed replaced but had a lot of hours anyways...could have kept going...but tore down anyways...

Run it, if its damaged it will let you know. If damage was already done, no more damage will be done than is already done. If the cylinder walls or crank is scored, it wont hurt it to run that way, pretty much a simple engine with 'disposable' parts inside. Could run forever, 3000 rpms isnt alot on a 2 stroke.

Quote:

My brother-in-law (no joke, it wasn't me) accidentally put regular gas (not mixed) in a 2 stroke outboard, and then drove it briefly (about 30 minutes of motoring). Thankfully, the engine apparently didn't lock-up, because he docked it later without even realizing his mistake. I thought that I heard a strange noise or two come from the engine while it was running at around 3000 rpm, but otherwise it seemed fine. He didn't realize his mistake until later that night, and then we siphoned out the gas, mixed it appropriately, and then refilled the tank. My question is, is it likely that any damage was done? I figured that if the engine didn't lock up then we most likely got very lucky. Is there anything that I should be worried about?

blush.gif
With the many years of experience I have with outboards it is my opnion there is damage. You said you heard some noise.

I'm sure there was no premix in the can, because he used a can that I keep for my i/o. But I think that there was probably 1/4 of a tank of premixed gas already in the tank when he dumped aprox 5 gallons of regular gas in.

In that case, probably no damage. Two stroke engines will seize much faster with a lean condition than they will with a no oil situation. And since you had some oil in the fuel tank already, it was just running a less than desireable fuel/oil ratio, most engines will tolerate that as 50-1 is probably overkill with todays superior oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back