Mobil 1 0W-40, 1990 Ford Mustang 5.0L, 6107 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The latest UOA from my '90 Mustang -

Mustang_oil_anaylsis_5.jpg

This interval was M1 0W/40.

Previous from newest to oldest - GC gold, GC green, Pennzoil 5W-30+Auto RX rinse, Pennzoil 5W-30+Auto RX.

Not really any improvement this time but the lead. I did use less makeup oil though so that's a good thing. It looks like 6K miles is about it for this engine and then the insolubles get out of hand. The engine 18 years old with over 100K miles so maybe that's just how it is.

They flagged the sodium as possible antifreeze? But no potassium shown so that surprises me a little.
54.gif

As always, comments welcome!

On an engine with this 'dirty' of a signature, I'd be inclined to go with a cheaper dino oil, and change more often, maybe see how that works. Maybe something like a 10w-40 PCMO, or a 15W-40 HDEO....just an idea.

Looks pretty good for 1 year. Appears that the M1 tbn held up better than the other oils on a weighted average. Dunno if the EP is made in your grade but it's more dense and burns off less than M1. .02.

Auto-rx candidate for an interval???

With insolubles and whatnot going up, seems like a good candidate.

JMH

I've got M1 10W-30 High Mileage in the car now. I'll run it for 6K and do another analysis.

Addyguy, I hear you on changing to a cheaper oil. I'd also thought about trying Schaeffers in this car since I had such good luck with that oil in my Toyota. But, the change interval came up before I realized it and I didn't have time to get any. Maybe after this run of M1.

I'm not sure much of the problem with the car doesn't stem from sitting all winter in an unheated garage. Lots of moisture, temperature variations, etc. Not much I can do about that. I do live in Illinois...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

JMH

It was just done 20K miles ago. Think another round of it would help? It's easy enough to do...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsharp
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

JMH

It was just done 20K miles ago. Think another round of it would help? It's easy enough to do...

The maintenance dose is your friend.

I have a partial bottle of Auto-Rx left so I could probably do a maintenance dose this interval. I also have some Lube Control around.

Anyone think the LC might help?

The suspect list for what is making it generate UOAs like this is large. PCV valve, spark plugs, Mass Air Flow Sensor, O2 Sensors, catalytic convertor, worn or carboned up piston rings, and maybe others. Do what you can within economical reason to correct or ok the suspects.

Of the easily repairable items the only thing I haven't changed is the PCV valve. It's on the rear of the intake manifold and a B!$ch to get at.

It has a clean MAF, new plugs, new O2 sensors and a new H-Pipe that has the light off cats.

I get random a check engine light but I haven't pulled the codes yet. Like a lot of other things around here it's on the list...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back